RobboLitto and Stockfish

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
TimC

RobboLitto and Stockfish

Post by TimC »

Having DL both of these engines and run them through tournaments with the Fritz Gui (using same book and same hash) I am surprised that HIARCS is getting it's head beat in at 5min blitz. I hope that version 13 gets up to speed.

I love HIARCS human like play, but we seem to be losing out to the "open code" crowd.

Comments?
Cubeman

Post by Cubeman »

I am sure that Mark can also play catch up.It seems that we at a new dawn of computer chess where all authors are currently making big progress.Much like when Fruit entered the scene about 4 years ago.
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Cubeman wrote:I am sure that Mark can also play catch up.It seems that we at a new dawn of computer chess where all authors are currently making big progress.Much like when Fruit entered the scene about 4 years ago.
I share the same feelings and expectations 8)
Dr.D
gerold

Post by gerold »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
Cubeman wrote:I am sure that Mark can also play catch up.It seems that we at a new dawn of computer chess where all authors are currently making big progress.Much like when Fruit entered the scene about 4 years ago.
I share the same feelings and expectations 8)
Dr.D
Agreed. It should happen within 6 months. There will be many new
strong engines free and Comm.

Best and Happy New Year to all.

Gerold.
turbojuice1122

Post by turbojuice1122 »

It may be much more difficult for Mark because Hiarcs has very deep roots and it might be that a complete code rewrite would be necessary to use improvements gained from such things as Stockfish/Robbolito.
Aggelos-Kefalonian

Post by Aggelos-Kefalonian »

Robbolito Game - Removed
Hetman

Post by Hetman »

What about Tankist ?
Rgds
Hetman
GOD is the best Friend of the humans.
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Post by Harvey Williamson »

Hetman wrote:What about Tankist ?
Rgds
Hetman
You can make this yourself take ippo and rename it Tanklist.
IA

Post by IA »

In a few months all chess programs play with the same boring style! Most programs us to be stronger based on the latter so strong chess programs, only programs that remain true to themselves and to care for their style of play will go ahead Hiarcs humanized as Hiarcs has a very promising future in all gaming platforms Palm, PPC, PC, Mac, Ipod .... and as far as I'm concerned as I continue buying Hiarcs since 1998 that I discovered his special style of play with the legendary Hiarcs 7 DOS, since then I have to Hiarcs as my favorite game program for Palm, PPC and PC, and although I have programs like Fritz, Shredder ... .. I still rely Hiarcs, as I'm concerned I do not care to leave a program with 3500 Elos, I'll still my pocket Hiarcs and Hiarcs PC, The people give too much importance to the rating Elo and not even realize they arrived +2800 point is exceeded for years what prevails is the style of play and that the program is teaching ... ...

Greetings ... ... ... :D
JEB_Tucson

Post by JEB_Tucson »

IA wrote:In a few months all chess programs play with the same boring style! Most programs us to be stronger based on the latter so strong chess programs, only programs that remain true to themselves and to care for their style of play will go ahead Hiarcs humanized as Hiarcs has a very promising future in all gaming platforms Palm, PPC, PC, Mac, Ipod .... and as far as I'm concerned as I continue buying Hiarcs since 1998 that I discovered his special style of play with the legendary Hiarcs 7 DOS, since then I have to Hiarcs as my favorite game program for Palm, PPC and PC, and although I have programs like Fritz, Shredder ... .. I still rely Hiarcs, as I'm concerned I do not care to leave a program with 3500 Elos, I'll still my pocket Hiarcs and Hiarcs PC, The people give too much importance to the rating Elo and not even realize they arrived +2800 point is exceeded for years what prevails is the style of play and that the program is teaching ... ...

Greetings ... ... ... :D
Well said!!!
The only engine I play OTB against is Palm HIARCS. Much of the time I'm playing on the "Instant Sparring" level. It's just great fun and the battery lasts longer!!!!

James
IanO

Post by IanO »

Personally, I will continue to purchase HIARCS upgrades in the face of stronger engines because Mark has been the only strong engine author who made the commitment to support the Mac platform from day one. In fact, it is still the strongest engine available for purchase on the Mac. (Stockfish 1.6.2 is free, and it is unclear who to pay for RobboLito :? ). Also, the style of HIARCS is unique, entertaining, and human-like compared to the new strong engines.
TimC

Post by TimC »

These are all great comments. I would like to make clear that I prefer HIARCS over any other engine. I have the PC version, Palm HIARCS and the iPhone version. The human-like play is what attracted me to the product. I just noticed that the mentioned "free" engines were getting 2 to 3 ply deeper in their searches than 12.1 was in the blitz games I ran. They also seem to get to, oh say, 20 ply way faster than 12.1. So I'm curious to see what Mark comes up with for HIARCS 13.
JEB_Tucson

Post by JEB_Tucson »

Just a honest question: Is it possible to have an engine play at a 3200+ level and still have an engine that plays with a human style?
It just may not be possible, so if HIARCS 13 moves up to say a 3200 level, I hope there is a control to switch it to a level that still plays with a human style.
auditt

Post by auditt »

Although I'm a big fan of HIARCs (Palm) for many years, don't forget Shredder.

Shredder (12) also plays a very human style game in my opinion.
In addition, its set ELO levels seem very well implemented - with natural type mistakes being played (the set ELO levels are the most important feature for nearly all players apart from the top very few).

I have Shredder 12 on the IPOD Touch, and am very impressed!

( It's also ranked very highly, normally in the top 2 or 3, e.g.
http://www.computerchess.org.uk/ccrl/40 ... ons_only=1 )
IA

Post by IA »

Hello Auditt , it's true what you say about Shredder12, is a great program and very thorough and professional level for players of Club, also on the platforms Pocket is a unique program, Shredder and Hiarcs care much these things that chess fans value so much as chess professionals are very few and the free program has a game based on playing strength and not pay attention to these important details to the players we have between 750 - 2200 Elos.

The high level programs like Shredder and Hiarcs and besides having a very large playing strength (superior to that of human chess champions) also care very much for your style of play is very enjoyable and simulating the playing strength of the human players (Elo regular force) and the style of play, I've improved since +300 Elo in 1 Year play with my Palm Hiarcs, and I'm delighted with this program, I do not get with a program PC, I believe that the future was added to simulate as best as possible the performance of human players in chess game improvement and that some programs are effective tools for everyday training and in this respect only Hiarcs and Shredder are light years ahead of other programs.

Regards...