Spam from this forum?

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
scottk

Spam from this forum?

Post by scottk »

I received the following email yesterday:

from admin@hiarcs.net
reply-to admin@hiarcs.net
to chessnuts@gmail.com
date Sat, Jan 23, 2010 at 6:33 PM
subject New Private Message has arrived
mailed-by savana.websitewelcome.com
Hello scottk,
You have received a new private message to your account on "HIARCS Chess Forums" and you have requested that you be notified on this event. You can view your new message by clicking on the following link:
http://hiarcs.net/forums/privmsg.php?folder=inbox

When I clicked the link and logged in, the screen was blank. there was no message. What is going on? I just changed my pw.
Scott
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Re: Spam from this forum?

Post by Harvey Williamson »

scottk wrote:I received the following email yesterday:

from admin@hiarcs.net
to chessnuts@gmail.com
Hello scottk,
You have received a new private message to your account on "HIARCS Chess Forums" and you have requested that you be notified on this event. You can view your new message by clicking on the following link:

When I clicked the link and logged in, the screen was blank. there was no message. What is going on? I just changed my pw.
its been reported a few times - the sender of the message has been deleted - your password is safe.
turbojuice1122

Post by turbojuice1122 »

Ahh, that must explain why I logged in with a drop box informing me of a new message, but there was no new message in my inbox. :-)
Joerg Oster

Post by Joerg Oster »

Harvey Williamson wrote:

from admin@hiarcs.net
to chessnuts@gmail.com
Hello scottk,

its been reported a few times - the sender of the message has been deleted - your password is safe.
Hi Harvey,

I received the same message early this morning. Inbox is empty.
Problems with the forum software?

Joerg.
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Post by Harvey Williamson »

Joerg Oster wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:

from admin@hiarcs.net
to chessnuts@gmail.com
Hello scottk,

Hi Harvey,

I received the same message early this morning. Inbox is empty.
Problems with the forum software?

Joerg.

No It means the spam has been deleted along with the spammer.
Peter Grayson

Post by Peter Grayson »

I received another one today too.

Strange thing is that when I logged onto Forum it did indicate one new private message but on opening private mail there was nothing new.

I still have the last authentic notification sent to me and as far as I can tell, other than the dates, they are exactly the same.

Regards,
PeterG
JEB_Tucson

Post by JEB_Tucson »

Peter Grayson wrote: Strange thing is that when I logged onto Forum it did indicate one new private message but on opening private mail there was nothing new.
The fix may require a change to the forum software.

Thanks
James
scottk

Post by scottk »

Again this morning, I received the same email message:

from admin@hiarcs.net
to chexxxxx@gmail.com
date Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 3:40 AM

Hello scottk,

Remember that you can always choose not to be notified of new messages by changing the appropriate setting in your profile.

--
HIARCS Chess Forums

I thought the problem was fixed some time ago, but apparently not so. Advice, please?
Scott
JEB_Tucson

Post by JEB_Tucson »

scottk wrote:Again this morning, I received the same email message:

from admin@hiarcs.net
to chexxxxx@gmail.com
date Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 3:40 AM

Hello scottk,

Remember that you can always choose not to be notified of new messages by changing the appropriate setting in your profile.

--
HIARCS Chess Forums

I thought the problem was fixed some time ago, but apparently not so. Advice, please?
Harvey Williamson wrote:No It means the spam has been deleted along with the spammer.

It's not really a problem. The forum software sent you the notification that you received PM because the PM spammer sent you spam. Sometime after the spammer sent you the PM spam, we removed the spammer and his PM spam from the forum. That included the spam in your inbox. We can not retieve the notification that you received because it happened earlier. I hope this makes sense.

Thanks
James
scottk

Post by scottk »

But Harvey said on January 24 that the spammer had been removed. I received his identical message by email again on March 1 and again found no PM. Although he is now gone from the forum, he must have taken my address with him and there is nothing that can be done here. He probably took others. Many thanks for your help.
Scott
JEB_Tucson

Post by JEB_Tucson »

scottk wrote:But Harvey said on January 24 that the spammer had been removed. I received his identical message by email again on March 1 and again found no PM. Although he is now gone from the forum, he must have taken my address with him and there is nothing that can be done here. He probably took others. Many thanks for your help.
The 24 Jan. spammer was removed. We had a new spammer early today and we removed him/her.
Unfortunately, it takes time to remove the person from the forum. Our forum members will receive notification of PM mail before we are able to remove the spammer and his/her spam. We can remove the spam, but, we can not do anything about the notification the was sent from the forum server to your internet server. You will get the notification and go to your Hiarcs forum mail box, but, the PM mail will not be there because we have removed it.
The spammer does not have to take your Hiarcs PM mail address. Any member on the Hiarcs forum can send you a forum PM. But, if a Hiarcs member does send spam, then we can remove that person from the forum. Unfortunately, new spammers will join the forum and the cycle will repeat. So, some time in the future, when a new spammer joins the forum, he/she will send you and I PM spam. We will get the PM mail notification. We will go to our PM mail box and, if the mods and admins did their job, find no PM mail. So, in the future, when that happens, you'll know the PM spam mail has been removed.

Thanks For Understanding
James
Werner
CEGT

Post by Werner »

Hi,
I see only one solution:

Nnew members must confirm the account with answering an email from the admin - no auto membership at the moment.

best
Werner
JEB_Tucson

Post by JEB_Tucson »

Werner wrote:Hi,
I see only one solution:

Nnew members must confirm the account with answering an email from the admin - no auto membership at the moment.

best
Werner
Hi Werner

Thanks for the suggestion.

James