CCT12 Hiarcs

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Enrico L. Carrisco
Lowly Janitor

Post by Enrico L. Carrisco »

You miss the point...

It didn't appear anyone was using a stopwatch from the time of the disconnect until the game initiated again.

The reconnection was quick enough that it was not apparent if it had been over 5 minutes or not. Komodo operator said nothing, TD said nothing and soon enough, the game was resumed.

It wasn't until some 40+ minutes later after Komodo's position was CLEARLY lost that the operator then brought up the complaint that Junior had not reconnected within the 5-minute timeframe.

The "sportsmanship" that Harvey refers to is the fact that the complaint surfaced once Komodo's luck had changed (read: "find a way out of the loss...)

If an operator or author needs to lodge a complaint or make a challenge, it needs to happen when the event or situation occurs, not at a much later time. Don't agree to play on and then backpedal when you don't get the luck you had hoped for...

But then again, with these latest genre of engines popping up in the wake of the published Rybka code... Honor amongst thieves is an oxymoron...

-elc.
mclane wrote:i remember how happy i was when junior team forced me to continue the completely lost game against an opponent because they thought it is important for the outcome of the tournament.
and i remember how happy my friend peter schreiner with his broken leg was, when someone from the junior team demanded that he carries his pc himself with his broken leg and the 2 crutches in the blitz tournament :-)

Happiness can have many reasons :-)

i could tell you many stories about "sportsmannship".
mclane

Post by mclane »

when junior logged in AGAIN, why was there no output anymore ?
Wasn't this in the same way AGAINST THE RULES as it was for Diep ?

so it was a loss from game interruption and when logged in a loss and disqualification because of no kiebitz mode, like it was with diep.

and although this all happened the TD remained silent and did not talk to Don ?!

Whats this ?
Junior and Hiarcs are commercial programs.
Komodo not.
Junior or Hiarcs or whatever commercial program should in the same way FOLLOW the tournament rules like any other amateur program has to do.

Why was the TD not enforcing the rules and remained silent on Dons
requests ?

I don't think i miss any point. Lets have a look what Don says:

I asked the TD to request the logs from Junior and was not answered on this.
I was pretty annoyed about how it all went down with no possible chance of verification and for several minutes I felt I was being ignored by the TD who would not respond to me.
When the TD did get back to me (someone else requested that he should do so) I felt like I had to fight to get treated fairly on this. I should have been able to say that "here are YOUR rules, they were violated, and I claim the win." I should not be chastised in any way for this or made to feel guilty for this. In fact, I thinks it's dead wrong because rules like this are designed to ADD stability and certainty to a tournament, not to detract from this. Rules like this spell out what should happen in circumstances that the TD anticipates might happen and by censoring those who expect the rules to be fairly administered just undermines the stability of such events.

I had the right to claim the win and so I claimed it on this basis.
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Post by Harvey Williamson »

mclane wrote:when junior logged in AGAIN, why was there no output anymore ?
Wasn't this in the same way AGAINST THE RULES as it was for Diep ?

so it was a loss from game interruption and when logged in a loss and disqualification because of no kiebitz mode, like it was with diep.

and although this all happened the TD remained silent and did not talk to Don ?!

Whats this ?
Junior and Hiarcs are commercial programs.
Komodo not.
Junior or Hiarcs or whatever commercial program should in the same way FOLLOW the tournament rules like any other amateur program has to do.

Why was the TD not enforcing the rules and remained silent on Dons
requests ?

I don't think i miss any point. Lets have a look what Don says:

I asked the TD to request the logs from Junior and was not answered on this.
I was pretty annoyed about how it all went down with no possible chance of verification and for several minutes I felt I was being ignored by the TD who would not respond to me.
When the TD did get back to me (someone else requested that he should do so) I felt like I had to fight to get treated fairly on this. I should have been able to say that "here are YOUR rules, they were violated, and I claim the win." I should not be chastised in any way for this or made to feel guilty for this. In fact, I thinks it's dead wrong because rules like this are designed to ADD stability and certainty to a tournament, not to detract from this. Rules like this spell out what should happen in circumstances that the TD anticipates might happen and by censoring those who expect the rules to be fairly administered just undermines the stability of such events.

I had the right to claim the win and so I claimed it on this basis.
Your a bit behind the times it has been proved now that Junior was sending its evaluations - read the thread on CCC am not going over it here. Other than to say the Komodo operator says the evals were there and that he was happy to play on.

Komodo is going commercial soon Don hopes when he gets the MP code working.