quiz

You can discuss all aspects of programming and technical matters here.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Watchman

Is it proven that ippolities are illegal clones of rybka

NO
60%
YES
40%

Total votes: 5

Hetman

quiz

Post by Hetman »

Hi,

there is a lot of noise about so called 'derivatives' of Rybka.
but t is proven ?

rgds
H
GOD is the best Friend of the humans.
JEB_Tucson

Post by JEB_Tucson »

Hi Hetman

I moved your poll to the Programming Discussions forum. It was off topic in the Tournaments forum.

Thanks
James
Hetman

Post by Hetman »

Thanks James.
It is OK :-). It is better then being moved to the Edge or Drama-lama. ;-)

I am sorry for placing that in wrong sub forum.
rgds
H.
JEB_Tucson

Post by JEB_Tucson »

Hetman wrote:Thanks James.
It is OK :-). It is better then being moved to the Edge or Drama-lama. ;-)

I am sorry for placing that in wrong sub forum.
rgds
H.
Hetman

Well, I was concerned that this may turn into a heated discussion about clones and I did not want that happening in the Tournament Results & Games forum.

Thanks for understanding.
James
Hetman

Post by Hetman »

JEB_Tucson wrote:
Hetman

Well, I was concerned that this may turn into a heated discussion about clones and I did not want that happening in the Tournament Results & Games forum.

Thanks for understanding.
James
I wanted to avoid heated discussion too so i designed the poll.

Voting is substituting that someone will try to convince other one or will have to explain his opinion.

But i am afraid that not too many people are looking here :-(

rgds
H.
Watchman
Hiarcs Team Member

Re: quiz

Post by Watchman »

Hetman wrote:there is a lot of noise about so called 'derivatives' of Rybka. but t is proven ?
What do you mean "proven"? :?
JEB_Tucson

Post by JEB_Tucson »

The degree that one can prove this is probably the primary issue.
But, certainly, to answer the poll, we need a good definition of "proven".
Hetman

Post by Hetman »

we can disscuss ;-) what is 'proven' :-)
i hope it will be not very heated...

usually the judges decide such a matter.

rgds
H.
BrandonSi

Post by BrandonSi »

To this day, I cannot fathom how anyone with a modest amount of computer chess knowledge thinks the "clones" are derivatives of Rybka code.

Spend 20 minutes analyzing a game with both R3, and say, Firebird 1.1. You will get a vastly different analysis, and move suggestions.

They obviously have completely different search algorithims, and the pruning varies a good deal as well. I will often let Rybka analyze a position for 30 seconds, remember the move suggestion, then run Firebird for 30 seconds. Many times they agree, but in a good number of cases they suggest completely different moves. I've found that usually Rybka comes up with the stronger move, but not always.

There is no doubt in my mind that these engines operate completely differently. I would believe that IPPOLIT is a clone of Stockfish, long before I believed it was a clone of Rybka 3.
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Post by Harvey Williamson »

BrandonSi wrote:To this day, I cannot fathom how anyone with a modest amount of computer chess knowledge thinks the "clones" are derivatives of Rybka code.

Spend 20 minutes analyzing a game with both R3, and say, Firebird 1.1. You will get a vastly different analysis, and move suggestions.

They obviously have completely different search algorithims, and the pruning varies a good deal as well. I will often let Rybka analyze a position for 30 seconds, remember the move suggestion, then run Firebird for 30 seconds. Many times they agree, but in a good number of cases they suggest completely different moves. I've found that usually Rybka comes up with the stronger move, but not always.

There is no doubt in my mind that these engines operate completely differently. I would believe that IPPOLIT is a clone of Stockfish, long before I believed it was a clone of Rybka 3.
Toga plays different moves to Fruit it is still a clone of Fruit. Stockfish plays different moves to Glaurung it is still a clone of Glaurung. In this case both are legal clones.

There has been evidence provided with odds of millions to 1 against the code shown being the same it is just that some choose to ignore it. But some just want to believe that 3 authors with stupid made up names created an engine because they want a free Lunch.

If you want to discuss this further please do it at the Computer Clone Club.