New Tournament Announced

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Watchman
Hiarcs Team Member

Post by Watchman »

I would like to send this as an entry...

Enrico L. Carrisco
Lowly Janitor

Re: New Tournament Announced

Post by Enrico L. Carrisco »

Dear Fernando,

I hope that my entry will be accepted. My gear comes as three pieces and it's very important that they are setup properly and appropriately.

I should not need to include the $125 entry fee as my setup is capable of "settling" the debt on different terms (I assume this will be acceptable to you).

I apologize that my entrant will require more "hands on" operation from you, but I believe it will prove to be an exciting addition to the event.

Please return my gear clean, unmodified and in good working order.

Kind & Warm Regards,

Enrico.

P.S. We've named it: Chess-Seductress-X

Fernando wrote:It will be played in my home and every one wanting to be part of it do not even need to come to Chile or even play trough Internet. They must only send his gear to my home and I, personally, will operate the stuff.
The competition will last about 5 years, but at the end of it the stuff will be sent, if possible, to his legitimate owners.
There is also a little fee to be payed of about 125 bucks, but I can accept payment in partialities.

Lets the Party Begins regard
Admiral Fern
[/img]
Dark Horse
Hiarcs Team Captain

Post by Dark Horse »

does this come in an XY version ? 8)
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Enrico L. Carrisco wrote:Dear Fernando,

I hope that my entry will be accepted. My gear comes as three pieces and it's very important that they are setup properly and appropriately.

I should not need to include the $125 entry fee as my setup is capable of "settling" the debt on different terms (I assume this will be acceptable to you).

I apologize that my entrant will require more "hands on" operation from you, but I believe it will prove to be an exciting addition to the event.

Please return my gear clean, unmodified and in good working order.

Kind & Warm Regards,

Enrico.

P.S. We've named it: Chess-Seductress-X

Fernando wrote:It will be played in my home and every one wanting to be part of it do not even need to come to Chile or even play trough Internet. They must only send his gear to my home and I, personally, will operate the stuff.
The competition will last about 5 years, but at the end of it the stuff will be sent, if possible, to his legitimate owners.
There is also a little fee to be payed of about 125 bucks, but I can accept payment in partialities.

Lets the Party Begins regard
Admiral Fern
[/img]
Once Fernando puts his hands on your gear,you'll never see it again....
Dr.D

P.S.The good news is that he can multipile your chess entity by playing with it so the the production line won't vanish :oops:
The bad news is that the production process will take 9 months for every new chess entity,but it's gonna worth it :wink:
Monsieur Plastique

Post by Monsieur Plastique »

Wow, that is a beautiful wooden floor. Look at the grain - and the translucent varnish possess a warmth and glow that reminds me of a Moroccan sunset.
Chess is like painting the Mona Lisa whilst walking through a minefield.
JEB_Tucson

Post by JEB_Tucson »

At first I thought the $250 entry fee very unreasonable.....but now with Enrico's entry, it appears to be a bargain. :)
JEB_Tucson

Post by JEB_Tucson »

Monsieur Plastique wrote:Wow, that is a beautiful wooden floor. Look at the grain - and the translucent varnish possess a warmth and glow that reminds me of a Moroccan sunset.
What floor? :)
Monsieur Plastique

Hi James,

Well there are some very questionable and dubious things I find with the supplied photograph of this chess playing entity and I am suprised the illustration has not incurred the wrath of the moderator's cane. Here are the things I am talking about which illustrate my point:

1. Width of floor seems to be less than that specified in the building code. The passageway is simply too narrow to satisfy building regulations. But even so, just imagine trying to move furniture from room to room down that hallway.

2. The player of the black pieces only has their King left on the board, whilst the player of White has all their pieces on the board. How is this possible? Surely even in Giveaway chess, white would have had to have lost at least some material, even with "perfect" play. So what gives? Is this entrant a "proper" chess program or a Giveaway chess program? And if the latter, how come the entity's opponent appears to have won? Also, where in Fernando's rules does it say that Giveaway chess is allowed?

3. Pieces when out of play should be correctly stored in their original storage box, approved container or at the very least neatly organised around the perimeter of the board. Certainly not randmonly strewn around the place in a wholly disorganised fashion as shown here.

4. Spirits should be stored in an approved decanter - again, not on the floor partially obscuring the playing surface.

5. Baseboards at the bottom of the wall could use a repaint.

Eagle-eyed Regards
JEB_Tucson

Post by JEB_Tucson »

Monsieur Plastique wrote:Hi James,

Well there are some very questionable and dubious things I find with the supplied photograph of this chess playing entity and I am suprised the illustration has not incurred the wrath of the moderator's cane. Here are the things I am talking about which illustrate my point:

1. Width of floor seems to be less than that specified in the building code. The passageway is simply too narrow to satisfy building regulations. But even so, just imagine trying to move furniture from room to room down that hallway.

2. The player of the black pieces only has their King left on the board, whilst the player of White has all their pieces on the board. How is this possible? Surely even in Giveaway chess, white would have had to have lost at least some material, even with "perfect" play. So what gives? Is this entrant a "proper" chess program or a Giveaway chess program? And if the latter, how come the entity's opponent appears to have won? Also, where in Fernando's rules does it say that Giveaway chess is allowed?

3. Pieces when out of play should be correctly stored in their original storage box, approved container or at the very least neatly organised around the perimeter of the board. Certainly not randmonly strewn around the place in a wholly disorganised fashion as shown here.

4. Spirits should be stored in an approved decanter - again, not on the floor partially obscuring the playing surface.

5. Baseboards at the bottom of the wall could use a repaint.

Eagle-eyed Regards
Monsieur Plastique

Thank you for bringing that to our attention. If it wasn't for your eagle-eyes those items may have gone unnoticed. Also, I think we can add to your list, the hand gestures being made by the "chess entity". I have never in my life seen such contempt for the game of chess. (although still well worth the $250 entry fee)
These issues must immediately be addressed by the Tournament Director or we may have to turn the matter over to the Hiarcs Forum Elder.....and nobody wants that to happen.

Thanks Again
James
Monsieur Plastique

I actually just thought that the hand / finger positions were merely to provide mechanical traction to the playing surface. If you imagine the hands turned into a fist, that does not provide any grip, stability or dexterity. What we have here is a traditional three point mounting system - a bit like a comparing a Cessna 172 to a taildragger aircraft.

I really did not read anything more into it than that, however if someone has a direct contact address for this chess plating entity, I am happy to take out time from my personal schedule to interview the said entity and approve of it for use in the tournament.

I am also happy to waive my travelling costs but would like to be reimbursed for meals, etc.
JEB_Tucson

Post by JEB_Tucson »

Some bad news. While I was making a detailed examination of, among other things, the three point mounting system, my wife entered the room and caught a glimpse of the "entity" and...........well.....I must drop out of the tournament.

Perhaps another time
James
Monsieur Plastique

That is a real shame, since the three point mounting system is quite benign and ubiquitous. It is nothing at all out of the ordinary, let alone controversial in any way.

Just last week, the three point mounting system in the Novag 2Robot was discussed in the HIARCS forum. Please see the second photo from the top:

http://novag2robot.yolasite.com/

Not only a three point mounting system at the end of the arms, but it has splashes of red in the head as well - just like Enrico's entry.
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

JEB_Tucson wrote:
These issues must immediately be addressed by the Tournament Director or we may have to turn the matter over to the Hiarcs Forum Elder.....and nobody wants that to happen.
No Question this is a job for the Forum Elder
should only take me a few minutes to handle this
I will get on it right away..

Seniority has its privileges Regards
Steve
JEB_Tucson

Post by JEB_Tucson »

Steve B wrote:Image
JEB_Tucson wrote:
No Question this is a job for the Forum Elder
should only take me a few minutes to handle this
I will get on it right away..

Seniority has its privileges Regards
Steve
That's great news!!. With the Forum Elder on top of it, the "chess entity" will learn the proper game of chess.
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

It I knew it will be necessary a Latin guy like you to understand the real thing. I will test the machine you sent in both the current position and then the inverse. Of course no fee needed. I love very much the position and I will try hard to mate...

My best
Fern
Festina Lente