Hiarcs for iphone now available !

Get your specific HIARCS/Junior support questions answered here as well as up-to-the-minute news!

Moderators: Watchman, Mark Uniacke, mrudolf

Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Thought I might post here seeing I bought it a couple of days back. The two main
suggestions I have for the next release would be
- A self play mode (one reason for this is self-play manually can be tedious
and the engine loses time whie you move!)
- Storing depth and eval in the pgn file.

Otherwise it looks great!
TTBoy

Post by TTBoy »

I have a question for Mr. Romstad, Is the strength of Glaurung at par against Hiarcs on the iphone?
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Post by Harvey Williamson »

TTBoy wrote:I have a question for Mr. Romstad, Is the strength of Glaurung at par against Hiarcs on the iphone?
Tord I am sure will confirm that of the current released versions for iPhone Hiarcs is stronger.
mdannib

Post by mdannib »

Is there a plan for the iPad version?
shiv

Post by shiv »

In addition to ipad question, is there a plan to release Hiarcs 13.1 on the iphone?
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Post by Harvey Williamson »

Yes it is planned.
Highendman

Post by Highendman »

I got Shredder for the iPad few days ago - it's amazing Brilliant UI and the auto-adjust playing level is actually fun to play with. I'll get the Hiarcs iPad version too as soon as there is one of course :)
George Bodkin

IPAD

Post by George Bodkin »

Will Hiarcs come out for the Ipad?
Cubeman

Post by Cubeman »

iphone4 has just been anounced, not sure when available.Could be a high performance PDA, nice grahics with so many pixels that the naked eye can't see individual dots.
mdannib

Post by mdannib »

Harvey Williamson wrote:Yes it is planned.
Any news for the iPad version?

Matteo.
Tord Romstad

Post by Tord Romstad »

mdannib wrote:Any news for the iPad version?
This will take a while.

Unfortunately, the iPad is still not available for sale here in Norway, and it is not yet clear how soon it will be. Although it is possible in principle to develop iPad apps without testing them on an actual device (by running them in the iPod simulator included in Apple's development tools), I don't want to do so, because user interface solutions that work great when using the mouse often turn out to be very awkward when using fingers, and because I want to play around with a few other iPad apps to get used to the UI paradigm before I start working on my own UI. The iPad port, therefore, will have to wait until I can buy my own iPad.

Meanwhile, the updated iPhone version is just around the corner -- it's been submitted to Apple, and just has to go through Apple's review process before it appears in the App Store. Please note that only Glaurung will be available initially, I am not sure how soon Mark will find the time to update Hiarcs with the new features.

The most notable new features are export and import of PGN files, support for running the chess engine remotely, improved graphics, and support for the high-resolution screen on the new iPhone 4. Here's a screenshot, which also gives some idea of how the board will look in the future iPad version:

mdannib

Post by mdannib »

Tord Romstad wrote:
mdannib wrote:Any news for the iPad version?
This will take a while.

Unfortunately, the iPad is still not available for sale here in Norway, and it is not yet clear how soon it will be. Although it is possible in principle to develop iPad apps without testing them on an actual device (by running them in the iPod simulator included in Apple's development tools), I don't want to do so, because user interface solutions that work great when using the mouse often turn out to be very awkward when using fingers, and because I want to play around with a few other iPad apps to get used to the UI paradigm before I start working on my own UI. The iPad port, therefore, will have to wait until I can buy my own iPad.

Meanwhile, the updated iPhone version is just around the corner -- it's been submitted to Apple, and just has to go through Apple's review process before it appears in the App Store. Please note that only Glaurung will be available initially, I am not sure how soon Mark will find the time to update Hiarcs with the new features.

The most notable new features are export and import of PGN files, support for running the chess engine remotely, improved graphics, and support for the high-resolution screen on the new iPhone 4. Here's a screenshot, which also gives some idea of how the board will look in the future iPad version:

Thanks for the big news Tord :D
The chess-engine is glaurung or stockfish ?

/Matteo
Tord Romstad

Post by Tord Romstad »

mdannib wrote:Thanks for the big news Tord :D
The chess-engine is glaurung or stockfish ?
Stockfish 1.7.1.

It's out now, please see this thread on the CCC for the announcement.
nahab

Post by nahab »

i have make any games hiarcs ipod vs Chess programs Pocket pc.

My PPC 624 Mhz Hp ipaq hx2790 Intel

in all games Hiarcs 12.2 ipod are playing stronger (or equivalent strongly without opening book) then ppc chess programs...

i have testing: all with opening books

Hiarcs app vs Hiarcs on Pocketfritz4.3 3:0
Hiarcs app vs Hiarcs 13.1 on CeBoard 3.0
Hiarcs app vs Pocket Shredder 3.0
Hiarcs app vs Thinker no opening book 1.5:1.5
Hiarcs app vs Pocketgrandmaster Naum 4,1 and Toga 2 3.1 Se 3.0 and 3.0
Hiarcs app vs Hiarcs on Pocketfritz3 3.0
Hiarcs app vs Pocketfritz1 3.0
Hiarcs app vs Scid Robolito 3.0
Hiarcs app vs Chess Genius 2.2 3.0

testing without opening book:

Hiarcs app vs Hiarcs on Pocketfritz4.3 1.5:1.5
Hiarcs app vs Hiarcs 13.1 on CeBoard 2:1
Hiarcs app vs Pocket Shredder 3.0
Hiarcs app vs Thinker 2:1
Hiarcs app vs Pocketgrandmaster Naum 4,1 and Toga 2 3.1 Se 3.0 and 3.0
Hiarcs app vs Hiarcs on Pocketfritz3 1.5:1.5
Hiarcs app vs Pocketfritz1 3.0
Hiarcs app vs Scid Robolito 3.0
Hiarcs app vs Chess Genius 2.2 3.0

Perhaps last the results differently if I had played 100 Game/ per ppc program, but this resultats has surprised and pleased me

ipod apps: shredder, pocketgrandmaster, chessGenius, glaurung, fritz are very much-weaker

fact is : Hiarcs app is the best and strongest chess program in the app store

Great I like Hiarcs Jörg
nahab

Post by nahab »

I try to play still some Games with overclocking, but I doubt whether the PPC play really better

Jörg