Hiarcs for iPad?

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Tord Romstad

Post by Tord Romstad »

Harvey Williamson wrote:
egrit wrote:This will be really good. I have the iPhone version on my iPad Now and look forward to having this iPad version. It looks really nice.

Egrit
How does it work on an iPad? What are the main issues with using the iPhone version on the iPad?
The iPad can run almost all iPhone apps. The exception is apps written for iOS 4, because the iPad is still running the older iOS 3.2. When iOS 4.2 for the iPad is released later this autumn, the iPad will be able to run all iPhone apps.

The user experience leaves a lot to be desired, though. Because the iPad has a bigger screen with a higher resolution, iPhone apps with either run inside a tiny window at the middle of the screen, or scaled up in size with big, blocky pixels. Needless to say, this looks ugly. There are also a few other differences between the devices, i.e. the preferred way to display menus and dialogs.

My work is still going well. I have now implemented landscape mode (required on the iPad, but not on the iPhone). The main things that remain are iPad-like menus and dialogs, and perhaps some visual improvements (the current prototype looks hideous, as you can see in the screenshot, but I'm not sure I have the artistic skills to fix it).
egrit

Post by egrit »

What screenshot? I could not find it.

The iPhone version has terrible looking chessmen.

Egrit
Tord Romstad

Post by Tord Romstad »

egrit wrote:What screenshot? I could not find it.
It's still there. Just look back a few posts.
I'm sorry you don't like it, but I'm a chess programmer, not a graphical designer. The two tasks are about as different from each other as playing chess is from carving chess pieces from wood. The images I am currently using are all (except for the "Modern" piece set, which was generously contributed by Bryan Whitby) free chess bitmaps used by numerous other programs. If you're unhappy with them, feel free to contribute a piece set of your own design.
Cubeman

Post by Cubeman »

I like the current chess pieces for Glaurung, my favourite are the USCF, and out of the 4 options I only have that I can't see my self ever using.
I have PAID for other chess apps on Ipod and been dissapointed at the quality of the appearance.
mdannib

Post by mdannib »

Tord is there the possibility to have the multiPV in the analyse mode ?
The iPad have a bigger screen :wink:

/Matteo
Tord Romstad

Post by Tord Romstad »

mdannib wrote:Tord is there the possibility to have the multiPV in the analyse mode ?
The iPad have a bigger screen :wink:
A little further down the line, it is definitely possible, but I won't include it in the initial version. The initial version will probably be 100% identical to the iPhone version feature-wise (but the user interface will be different, of course). It is better not to add any new features before everything is working and stable. When I've got the first public version out the door, I can consider adding new iPad-specific features.
Tord Romstad

Post by Tord Romstad »

It's ready for beta testing now. I started a thread over at the Computer Chess Club with some information for those who want to test. Head over there if you're interested.
Tord Romstad

Post by Tord Romstad »

Cubeman wrote:I like the current chess pieces for Glaurung, my favourite are the USCF, and out of the 4 options I only have that I can't see my self ever using.
I have PAID for other chess apps on Ipod and been dissapointed at the quality of the appearance.
Thanks, I'm glad at least some people are satisfied with the graphics. It isn't possible to please everyone, but with the hope of pleasing slightly more people, I've added a few new piece sets, which will appear in the next public version (both on the iPhone and the iPad). Links to screenshots below.

The three old conservative choices (Alpha, USCF and XBoard) are still there, and unchanged. Those who prefer a more futuristic look can enjoy Bryan Whitby's "Modern" piece set, this time in higher resolution (thanks, Bryan!). A new minimalistic alternative is Cheq. On the opposite end of the spectre, those who want a baroque, heavily ornamented look can choose Leipzig. Finally, for an old-fashioned communist style, try Berlin (I'm surprised by how much I like this one, probably because it gives me nostalgic memories of the East German "Sportverlag" chess books in the 1980s and 1990s).
Mark

Post by Mark »

Tord Romstad wrote:
Cubeman wrote:I like the current chess pieces for Glaurung, my favourite are the USCF, and out of the 4 options I only have that I can't see my self ever using.
Thanks, I'm glad at least some people are satisfied with the graphics. It isn't possible to please everyone, but with the hope of pleasing slightly more people, I've added a few new piece sets, which will appear in the next public version (both on the iPhone and the iPad). Links to screenshots below.

The three old conservative choices (Alpha, USCF and XBoard) are still there, and unchanged. Those who prefer a more futuristic look can enjoy Bryan Whitby's "Modern" piece set, this time in higher resolution (thanks, Bryan!). A new minimalistic alternative is Cheq. On the opposite end of the spectre, those who want a baroque, heavily ornamented look can choose Leipzig. Finally, for an old-fashioned communist style, try Berlin (I'm surprised by how much I like this one, probably because it gives me nostalgic memories of the East German "Sportverlag" chess books in the 1980s and 1990s).
Just wanted to add that I've been very satisfied with the Glaurung piece sets. I can't imagine anyone wanting to use anything other than the xboard or uscf sets!
egrit

Post by egrit »

I can no longer get Glaurung on my iPad. I once had it and liked it. Then they changed it to the new iPhone to os4 ? And it is no longer available for the iPad.

I hope the new hiarcs for iPad will not go away! When will the iPad have os4?

Egrit
Enrico L. Carrisco
Lowly Janitor

Post by Enrico L. Carrisco »

Tord Romstad wrote:
egrit wrote:What screenshot? I could not find it.
It's still there. Just look back a few posts.
I'm sorry you don't like it, but I'm a chess programmer, not a graphical designer. The two tasks are about as different from each other as playing chess is from carving chess pieces from wood. The images I am currently using are all (except for the "Modern" piece set, which was generously contributed by Bryan Whitby) free chess bitmaps used by numerous other programs. If you're unhappy with them, feel free to contribute a piece set of your own design.
Hello Tord -- I hope all is well with you and your family.

I don't often have the time to follow the forum these days but I must congratulate you on your immense amount of patience.

Thankless, unappreciative comments and complaints for something you are doing for free -- it disgusts me to say the least.

I wish I knew that you were waiting for an iPad for development -- I've been exporting them since their birth and I've had many "open box" returns and refurbished units available for quite sometime. I would have gladly donated.

Anyway, thank you for your countless contributions to the computer chess community and I'm sorry for the thoughtless and untactful comments of others.

All the best,
-elc.
egrit

Post by egrit »

I apologize for my thoughtless comment on the chess pieces. I did not know there were several to choose from. Please accept my apology.

Egrit
Tord Romstad

Post by Tord Romstad »

Enrico: Thanks for your kind words. I hope all is well with you, too.

egrit: Apology accepted. Don't worry, I'm not easily offended. :)

Apple has now finally approved the iPad version of Stockfish:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/stockfis ... 58605?mt=8

Mark will probably need some time to adapt Hiarcs to the new GUI, but in the meantime, I hope Stockfish can offer some fun.
mdannib

Post by mdannib »

Tord Romstad wrote:Enrico: Thanks for your kind words. I hope all is well with you, too.

egrit: Apology accepted. Don't worry, I'm not easily offended. :)

Apple has now finally approved the iPad version of Stockfish:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/stockfis ... 58605?mt=8

Mark will probably need some time to adapt Hiarcs to the new GUI, but in the meantime, I hope Stockfish can offer some fun.
Finally my iPad have stockfish !!! Tord great job !!!
Thank you.

Regards,
Matteo
egrit

Post by egrit »

I just put stockfish on my iPad. It is beautiful and just wonderful. Thank you so much for your hard work.

Egrit