chess tiger iphone

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
IA

Post by IA »

Hi Christoph, Android takes very little time and is already the number 1 and this just started, all strong companies are going to release mobile versions for Android including Nokia, if that were little more economical, versatile and powerful, is expected this year powerful Quad-Core ARM + 2500 MHz = 10.000 MHz,

http://www.qualcomm.es/news/releases/20 ... set-family

for this summer is expected a real Android invasion Dual Core Tablet with the powerful Android 3.0.... Android finally has it all.

I do not understand programming but of course now iOS and Android are the future, especially Android ....

http://erictric.com/2011/01/31/android- ... the-world/

http://www.cnnexpansion.com/tecnologia/ ... s-de-apple

Regards.... :)
RadioSmall

Post by RadioSmall »

CTheron wrote:
RadioSmall wrote:
CTheron wrote:
RadioSmall wrote:
CTheron wrote:
bretti wrote:In my opinion ChessTiger is Nr. 4 behind Hiarcs 12.3/Stockfish 2.3 and Shredder. ChessGenius is weaker (I am not sure about Fritz cause I do not own it for iPhone). Rating should be higher than 2300, may be about 2400.

Don't forget to write a review at the App-Store for your good Chess-Apps! Some of them are not fair rated so far.

I think that before saying that Chess Tiger for iOS is only 2400 elo you should definitely test it more seriously. It is much stronger than that.

Chess Tiger on iPad for example is approximately 50 (FIFTY) times faster than on a standard PalmOS device. And it was already above 2200 on a Palm, with a version of the engine more than 3 years old...

Also, Chess Tiger is not a 64 bits engine. Therefore it is much better optimized for a 32 bits processor like the one in the iPhone/iPad/Ipod touch than 64 bits engines.

I suggest you look for Chess Tiger for iOS in the 2700 elo range.

// Christophe
Hi Christophe
Did you know that it is impossible to download ChessTiger 2009 for palm??
The folder that downloads is empty and support does not respond to emails.I used to have version 15.2 for my palm Tungsten E.

The Palm section has been closed since the launch of the iOS version but will be accessible again later tonight.

You will be able to download free of charge a new update of Chess Tiger for PalmOS. The download will be hosted by our server so there should be no problem getting the new version.

We have had problems sending and receiving emails at support@chesstiger.com for several months. This has been solved a few days ago, so any email you send there will now be answered in a timely manner.

// Christophe
Hi
The same problem remains .The Computer says that the Chess Tiger 2010 folder is empty .Hence there is no download , which means that it is still impossible to download Chess Tiger for palm.

You should maybe force a reload of every page you visit on chesstiger.com. I had the same problem, after uploading the new pages they wouldn't show up until I forced my browser to reload the pages. I'm using Firefox and had to use Shift-Reload (hold Shift and click on the Reload button on the browser toolbar).

You can also try to clear your browser's cache before going to http://www.chesstiger.com

Please tell me if it works for you. Thank you in advance.

// Christophe
Hi
I have tried everything .The Truth is nothing works.The folder is empty.This is the constant message my computer gives.
SirDave

Post by SirDave »

While I would like to see more chess apps for Android, inferring that Android is number 1 over IOS systems is misleading. There are more Android-based units than iOS, but the Android market is splintered and there are not by any means the number of Android-compatible apps available for any given unit that there is for the iPad, iPhone and iTouch. (For instance, there is, say, the Samsung Galaxy Tab running Android 2.2, the Motorola Xoom running 3.0 and so on.) In other words the captive target-rich environment is much greater for iOS than Android.

In addition, though I am not a programmer for the iOS or Android systems, my understanding is that it is much more difficult to port apps over to Android vs. iOS. The net result at the moment is that there are dozens upon dozens of chess apps for iOS and only a handful for Android.
tomgdrums

Post by tomgdrums »

CTheron wrote:
RadioSmall wrote:
CTheron wrote:
RadioSmall wrote:
CTheron wrote:
bretti wrote:In my opinion ChessTiger is Nr. 4 behind Hiarcs 12.3/Stockfish 2.3 and Shredder. ChessGenius is weaker (I am not sure about Fritz cause I do not own it for iPhone). Rating should be higher than 2300, may be about 2400.

Don't forget to write a review at the App-Store for your good Chess-Apps! Some of them are not fair rated so far.

I think that before saying that Chess Tiger for iOS is only 2400 elo you should definitely test it more seriously. It is much stronger than that.

Chess Tiger on iPad for example is approximately 50 (FIFTY) times faster than on a standard PalmOS device. And it was already above 2200 on a Palm, with a version of the engine more than 3 years old...

Also, Chess Tiger is not a 64 bits engine. Therefore it is much better optimized for a 32 bits processor like the one in the iPhone/iPad/Ipod touch than 64 bits engines.

// Christophe
Hi Christophe
The folder that downloads is empty and support does not respond to emails.I used to have version 15.2 for my palm Tungsten E.

The Palm section has been closed since the launch of the iOS version but will be accessible again later tonight.

You will be able to download free of charge a new update of Chess Tiger for PalmOS. The download will be hosted by our server so there should be no problem getting the new version.

We have had problems sending and receiving emails at support@chesstiger.com for several months. This has been solved a few days ago, so any email you send there will now be answered in a timely manner.

// Christophe
Hi
The same problem remains .The Computer says that the Chess Tiger 2010 folder is empty .Hence there is no download , which means that it is still impossible to download Chess Tiger for palm.

You should maybe force a reload of every page you visit on chesstiger.com. I had the same problem, after uploading the new pages they wouldn't show up until I forced my browser to reload the pages. I'm using Firefox and had to use Shift-Reload (hold Shift and click on the Reload button on the browser toolbar).

You can also try to clear your browser's cache before going to http://www.chesstiger.com

// Christophe
Hi Christophe,

I am still curious as to whether or not you will be releasing Chess Tiger 2011 for PC or not?

Thanks!

TomG
Cubeman

Post by Cubeman »

I suppose that if Chess tiger 2011 is successful on iOS then you could maybe try your hand at an Android release.All the other ports like Genius, Shredder started out as iOS app first.I have tried both versions on iOS and Android mobile devices and think they are both the same sort of experience.Also the numbers that are bandied around about how many NEW handsets being sold does not tell the true picture of how many units already exist in the market.Also Android released on many inferior hardware devices compared to iphone/ipod touch so not really applicable to touch screen chess.
bretti

Post by bretti »

CTheron wrote:

// Christophe
Dear Christophe, don't misunderstand me - my voting adds 100 points to the wrong 2300, I am sure it could be near Shredder so my voting was also to low.
By the way a level with 30sec/move or 30min/game and permanent brain would be great for this tournament: http://www.pda-schach.eberlw.de/PDA_201 ... ehmer.html
CTheron
Tiger

Post by CTheron »

RadioSmall wrote:
CTheron wrote:
RadioSmall wrote:
CTheron wrote:
RadioSmall wrote:
CTheron wrote:

// Christophe
Hi Christophe

// Christophe
Hi

// Christophe
Hi
I have tried everything .The Truth is nothing works.The folder is empty.This is the constant message my computer gives.

OK I have now totally changed the Download page and there is no more ZIP to download (I still don't understand why, but they always come up corrupted, I guess my provider is doing something fishy on ZIP files).

Now you can download directly the two files that you then install on the handheld.

Please tell me if it works.

Thank you in advance.

// Christophe
IA

Post by IA »

Hello Christoph, does not download the file "ChessTiger.prc" .. could you also put a full download as it was before? I did not have any problem downloading it yesterday.

Regards... :wink:
nahab

Post by nahab »

CTheron wrote:

// Christophe
hi Christophe

where have chesstiger 2700 Elo?

i have play any games vs Hiarcs, Stockfish and Shreder chess in different times but all Progrms are better/ strongly as Chesstiger.

Hiarcs Pocketfritz 2700 Elo
Hiarcs on CeBoad 2700 Elo
Stockfish ipod 2400 Elo
Shredder Shredder ~ 2500 Elo

Chesstiger are not playing stronger as this egines.....

But nevertheless it is the best chess app in itunes...it would have to only indicate the Ponderzug on the board like in "Game in Time" and the one would have to adjust analysis to be able on infinite

regards Jörg
bretti

Post by bretti »

Let's try a closer look to the ratings:
Due to the authors we have:
1. Hiarcs 12.3 - 2825
2. Shredder 1.4 iPhone (1.2 iPad) - 2600
3. Stockfish 2.3 - 2500 (+30)
4. Stockfish 2.2 - 2500

In my opinion the 2600 Elo for Shredder is a good basis. P.a. the BT-2630-test suite gives about 2550 but Shredder is not a tactic monster. Hiarcs rating seems to be to high and Stockfish 2.2 and 2.3 play stronger than Shredder. So it could be about 2650-2680 for Stockfish and 2680-2700 for Hiarcs.
My impressions from some short games and some games with 20sec/move against Shredder indicate a similar strange. But it is hard to compare Shredder with other Apps cause of the missing time-levels. That means a fair rating for ChessTiger iPhone without plenty of games is about 2600 (and indeed not "about 2400" as I mentioned before in contrast to the given 2300).

May be the PDA-tournament I linked above will give us some more impressions.
nahab

Post by nahab »

bretti wrote:Let's try a closer look to the ratings:
1. Hiarcs 12.3 - 2825
4. Stockfish 2.2 - 2500

In my opinion the 2600 Elo for Shredder is a good basis. P.a. the BT-2630-test suite gives about 2550 but Shredder is not a tactic monster. Hiarcs rating seems to be to high and Stockfish 2.2 and 2.3 play stronger than Shredder. So it could be about 2650-2680 for Stockfish and 2680-2700 for Hiarcs.
My impressions from some short games and some games with 20sec/move against Shredder indicate a similar strange. But it is hard to compare Shredder with other Apps cause of the missing time-levels. That means a fair rating for ChessTiger iPhone without plenty of games is about 2600 (and indeed not "about 2400" as I mentioned before in contrast to the given 2300).

which engine comparative here?

one cannot compare PC engine with ipod engine and addition it you must know you Play the Games with Ipod 2 G or 4 G...that differentiated is because of the different speeds of the CPS´s.

i have a ipod 2G.. and here plays stockfisch 2.2 stronger as Hiarcs and so Hiarcs connot have 2825 Elo pn ipod

Shredder have never 2600 Elo

on ipod Stockfish is still the strongest

regards Jörg :-)
RadioSmall

Post by RadioSmall »

CTheron wrote:
RadioSmall wrote:
CTheron wrote:
RadioSmall wrote:
CTheron wrote:
RadioSmall wrote:
CTheron wrote:

// Christophe
Hi Christophe

// Christophe
Hi

// Christophe
Hi

OK I have now totally changed the Download page and there is no more ZIP to download (I still don't understand why, but they always come up corrupted, I guess my provider is doing something fishy on ZIP files).

Now you can download directly the two files that you then install on the handheld.

Please tell me if it works.

Thank you in advance.

// Christophe
Hi Christophe
Yes indeed everything works fine now.I have installed it on my Palm Tungsten C.I used to have Tiger 15.2 on my old Tungsten E.This brings back fond memories , as I used to play at Game in 10 time control....Although I lost most of the time I had many draws and 3 wins ..I have recorded all those games ...My heartfelt thanks for bringing this back to life......
bretti

Post by bretti »

nahab wrote:
1. Hiarcs 12.3 - 2825
4. Stockfish 2.2 - 2500

which engine comparative here?

one cannot compare PC engine with ipod engine and addition it you must know you Play the Games with Ipod 2 G or 4 G...that differentiated is because of the different speeds of the CPS´s.

i have a ipod 2G.. and here plays stockfisch 2.2 stronger as Hiarcs and so Hiarcs connot have 2825 Elo pn ipod

Shredder have never 2600 Elo

on ipod Stockfish is still the strongest

regards Jörg :-)
These are the Elo-values given by the programs author at their own programs. It means Shredder shows 2600 at iOS (at every iOS device, I know what it mean...), Hiarcs shows 2825 and Stockfish gives 2500 as best possible Elo-level. I know that this is not a real compareable rating. It is just that what I write above. If you want to compare it with typical engine rating-lists you have to play a lot of games against plenty opponents.

But my point is the ratio between the Apps. By the way Hiarcs 12.3 iPhone 3GS seems to be a bit stronger as Shredder 2.2 iPhone 3GS. Maybe the improved version 2.3 can beat Hiarcs 12.3 or they are similar. Hiarcs opening book is somewhat better so sometimes Hiarcs get the advantage out of the book.
bretti

BT-2630 test

Post by bretti »

Here are my results for the BT-2630 test. First one is Shredder 11.74 for Revelation, second is Shredder 1.0 iPad "normal", third is Shredder 1.0 iPad "aggressiv" and the last one is ChessTiger 2011.1 iPad (1).

Shredder Rev. -- Shredder iPad -- ChessTiger
----------- normal - aggressiv ---- normal ----
01: (289s) -- (043s) -- (001s) -- (003s)
02: (120s) -- (061s) -- (015s) -- (010s)
03: (040s) -- (009s) -- (003s) -- (002s)
04: (900s) -- (900s) -- (900s) -- (354s)
05: (002s) -- (001s) -- (001s) -- (900s)
06: (016s) -- (003s) -- (003s) -- (003s)
07: (002s) -- (001s) -- (001s) -- (001s)
08: (006s) -- (002s) -- (003s) -- (900s)
09: (087s) -- (010s) -- (005s) -- (003s)
10: (035s) -- (003s) -- (003s) -- (001s)
11: (018s) -- (003s) -- (003s) -- (001s)
12: (003s) -- (001s) -- (001s) -- (002s)
13: (247s) -- (205s) -- (035s) -- (008s)
14: (009s) -- (002s) -- (002s) -- (002s)
15: (900s) -- (900s) -- (900s) -- (900s)
16: (020s) -- (004s) -- (001s) -- (900s)
17: (072s) -- (010s) -- (012s) -- (001s)
18: (023s) -- (005s) -- (004s) -- (003s)
19: (488s) -- (063s) -- (093s) -- (006s)
20: (047s) -- (006s) -- (004s) -- (002s)
21: (900s) -- (900s) -- (327s) -- (216s)
22: (001s) -- (001s) -- (001s) -- (001s)
23: (900s) -- (214s) -- (005s) -- (900s)
24: (899s) -- (198s) -- (456s) -- (053s)
25: (072s) -- (023s) -- (352s) -- (004s)
26: (725s) -- (900s) -- (435s) -- (900s)
27: (020s) -- (004s) -- (006s) -- (004s)
28: (125s) -- (019s) -- (080s) -- (900s)
29: (600s) -- (059s) -- (280s) -- (025s)
30: (045s) -- (006s) -- (003s) -- (024s)

Shredder 11.74 Revelation: 7.611 sec => 2.376
Shredder 1.0 iPad "normal": 4.556 sec => 2.478
Shredder 1.0 iPad "aggressiv": 3.938 sec => 2.498
ChessTiger 2011.1 iPad "normal": 7.029 sec => 2.396

ChessTiger does not solve pos. 5 so it seems he does not use hash tables?!

For all positions and chesscomputer-results see p.a. http://www.schachcomputer.info/html/bt2 ... ungen.html
Tord Romstad

Post by Tord Romstad »

1. Hiarcs 12.3 - 2825
4. Stockfish 2.2 - 2500
This is misleading. Stockfish isn't "2500 due to the author". The author's position is that nobody has even an approximate idea what the true strength is, and that it depends on the time control and hardware used anyway. The number 2500 as the maximum for Stockfish's "Strength" setting is completely arbitrary, and is used only because it's a nice, round number. In any case, it's strong enough for most of us (at least on the iPad and iPhone 4), and those who need something even stronger can always run the engine remotely.

The strength of Shredder, of course, is simply undefined, because the program still doesn't support timed games.