very long time controls

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
irvstein

very long time controls

Post by irvstein »

i have alot of different chess engines . i have noticed that if i leave a engine thinking for like 12 hours or more the nps always go way down . happens to all of them . does anyone know why ?
NATIONAL12

Re: very long time controls

Post by NATIONAL12 »

irvstein wrote:i have alot of different chess engines . i have noticed that if i leave a engine thinking for like 12 hours or more the nps always go way down . happens to all of them . does anyone know why ?
a couple of years ago i had a cheap quad which behaved in a similar manner,i put it down to crap power supply.
Eelco de Groot

Re: very long time controls

Post by Eelco de Groot »

irvstein wrote:i have alot of different chess engines . i have noticed that if i leave a engine thinking for like 12 hours or more the nps always go way down . happens to all of them . does anyone know why ?
A long shot but maybe it is energy saving features? Probably under Desktop -> Properties if you want to disable them. I vaguely remember the times that the screensaver used to crash Rebel. Or maybe it was the harddisk being switched off automatically, something like that. That "12 hours" sounds suspiciously long. A laptop could try to spare the batteries this way though.

Eelco
Careful! Even moonlit dewdrops,
If you’re lured to watch,
Are a wall before the truth.

- Sogyo (18th century)