Hiarcs Database Capabilities

Get your specific HIARCS/Junior support questions answered here as well as up-to-the-minute news!

Moderators: Watchman, Mark Uniacke, mrudolf

Zen_learner

Post by Zen_learner »

:D :D

I have been updating my Chess web Page, where I use pgn4web, a program that requires PGN files.

To my surprise I find Hiarcs much simpler to use than ChessBase with PGN files, specially the tablebases information and inserting comments, evals, etc...

(I have a lot of Endgames and Endgame Studies there, so it is very useful).

And of course, on top of that, everything is on the Mac. But I could have never imagined I would prefer to use Hiarcs over ChessBase! (I have been using CB since 1987!)

So thanks a lot for a magnificent product!. Well worth it! And everything is very user friendly...

(Obviously some functions of CB are just unbeatable. But still!)

P.S.: For those interested in Endgames and Endgame studies, you can try chess.semprun.net . There are even 900+ puzzles provided by Paolo Casaschi (pgn4web)
Mark Uniacke
Hiarcs Author

Post by Mark Uniacke »

I am delighted you like our new product so much.
To my surprise I find Hiarcs much simpler to use than ChessBase with PGN files, specially the tablebases information and inserting comments, evals, etc...

(I have a lot of Endgames and Endgame Studies there, so it is very useful).

And of course, on top of that, everything is on the Mac. But I could have never imagined I would prefer to use Hiarcs over ChessBase! (I have been using CB since 1987!)
Since you have been using Chessbase for so many years I take that as a great compliment, thank you.

I imagine you must of been one of the first users of Chessbase and of course in 1987 it was on floppy disks!
Best wishes,
Mark

https://www.hiarcs.com
Zen_learner

Insert variation (forced)

Post by Zen_learner »

While inputting a game of mine I am missing a useful CB feature they took a while to implement, that of beginning a variation with the same move as in the game, typically used to analyse the final position of a game that was not played out...

So I guess this is kind of a feature request, or if it is there, how is it done?

Thx,
Simon

Re: Insert variation (forced)

Post by Simon »

Zen_learner wrote:While inputting a game of mine I am missing a useful CB feature they took a while to implement, that of beginning a variation with the same move as in the game, typically used to analyse the final position of a game that was not played out...
I'd like this as well.
Mark Uniacke
Hiarcs Author

Post by Mark Uniacke »

This may be what you are looking for:
1. go to the end of the game
2. enter moves to continue game
3. go back to move before last move in actual game
4. press shift and enter last move

Then game will have variation including last move of game.
Best wishes,
Mark

Simon

Post by Simon »

Thanks Mark. That is what I was trying to do.
Zen_learner

Post by Zen_learner »

Continuing with my testing, I converted the Mega 2012 of CB to pgn (didnot, stopped at 2.5 Million games). Even this pgn file got the message 'too large for Hiarcs'.

So what's the limit and why? It seems I have found a real reason for the CBH format.. (I knew it was much more efficient in terms of storage... now it seems there is something else)

Again, my CTG file would be from Mega2012 (plus the CBM updates) so the request I read elsewhere about Hiarcs being able to read CTG files would not make much sense to me if the size would be a problem too!

Still loving the product!
Zen_learner

Post by Zen_learner »

And while thinking about it, I figured that a 'Database window' could be developed to manage databases, what we get now is Macs finder, perhaps a web styled browser of pgn files?

Ok, that's only after you have made your first million from Hiarcs sales :) :)

And again, that's possibly one of CB weakest links, is too slow! (so perhaps is not a good idea AT ALL!)
Kemuri

Post by Kemuri »

the max PGN database is 1million games as I understand it.
I don't believe in intuition, but I've got a funny feeling that one day I will...
Mark Uniacke
Hiarcs Author

Post by Mark Uniacke »

It is now 1.5 million games in version 1.1. That is per database tab, it is possible to have more than 1.5 million games open in HCE.
Best wishes,
Mark

luckytrebor

position searching in HCE

Post by luckytrebor »

How to?

I open a game in database "My own games", go to move 12 for instance and now I want to search this position in another database. I can't figure out how to do this. If it is not possible then HCE to me is not usuable.
Mark Uniacke
Hiarcs Author

Post by Mark Uniacke »

It is easy to search for a position in a different tab/database:
1) Edit->Copy->Position
2) Click on db tab you want and choose Search->Position
3) In Search Position dialog click Paste FEN button and click OK.
Best wishes,
Mark

luckytrebor

Post by luckytrebor »

Okay Mark, That is the way to do it :D Thanks for the quick response.
Best regards,Rob