HCE feature requests

Get your specific HIARCS/Junior support questions answered here as well as up-to-the-minute news!

Moderators: Watchman, Mark Uniacke, mrudolf

Michael Blake

Post by Michael Blake »

To delete the last move, you need to navigate back a move, then right-click on that move and choose Remove Next Moves. It would be easier if you just hit the Delete button to remove the last move.
I prefer deleting from a point forwards which is the current method, it seems the most logical way imho and is afaik the method used by ChessBase and the backslash shortcut.

Best Wishes,
Mickey
mathefff

Post by mathefff »

Michael Blake wrote:
To delete the last move, you need to navigate back a move, then right-click on that move and choose Remove Next Moves. It would be easier if you just hit the Delete button to remove the last move.
I prefer deleting from a point forwards which is the current method, it seems the most logical way imho and is afaik the method used by ChessBase and the backslash shortcut.

Best Wishes,
Mickey
You can CMD+Z (mac) to undo (also delete the last move). What is it on PC? CTRL+Z?
Simon

Post by Simon »

Spell checking of comments would be useful to help catch my frequent typos.
Eric Wainwright

Post by Eric Wainwright »

mathefff wrote: You can CMD+Z (mac) to undo (also delete the last move). What is it on PC? CTRL+Z?
Yes, CMD+Z works, thanks. (Still think I should be able to hit Delete too. :) )
pwwaring

Post by pwwaring »

In the analysis explorer window, when running with multiple lines of analysis, it would be nice to have an option to limit the output displayed for each variation to just one line instead of scrolling each to multiple lines. It would make for a much cleaner, more usable look for multi-pv.
redpill

Post by redpill »

Can you tell me if there is a way to see the name of the opening line? I don't seem to be able to see which opening variation is being played and I have to check a different program to find the name of the variation. Maybe I'm missing something or am not looking at the right part of the screen?
Simon

Post by Simon »

The opening is shown under the names of the players above the game score. For example, "E11: Bogo-Indian Defence (...Be7 retreat)" in this screenshot.

http://www.hiarcs.com/images/hce/HCE-main.png
redpill

Post by redpill »

What about for games not in the database, eg new games or games vs. the computer during play?
Cardinalle

Animation when replaying the game

Post by Cardinalle »

Guys, can you implement some move animation when playing and replaying the game(s), please?

I hope you know what I mean - something like a "slow motion slide" of a piece from one square to another. It would really help our eyes! Currently the piece is moved instantly and sometimes it's very difficult to see the move.

I teach and present the games a lot, and it is very exhausting to constantly "search" for what has changed on the board when I replay some game analysis. I believe it's not a big problem to develop this kind of animation.

And as a teacher, I raise another hand for the functionality that would allow me to "draw" lines and arrows on the board, or to color some specific squares etc.

Thanks! :)

And BTW, great product, I love it! I'm a MAC user and I don't want to have any sign of any Microsoft product on my piece of hardware, and therefore I don't use Chessbase. HCE rolls!
pwwaring

Post by pwwaring »

Thanks for the great program, I find myself turning to HCE almost all the time now! A few things on my wish list for a future release , some of which have already been suggested - so just add my vote for those!

1. The ability to run more than 1 engine in analysis explorer on same tab - very useful for a second opinion as you're analyzing a game
2. DGT board support!
3. The option to highlight the most recent move on board, not just the most recent engine move
4. The ability to designate a reference database
5. Possibility to automatically update a reference db from TWIC
6. Selecting multiple games for batch analysis
7. Stepping through a game, it would be nice if the opening reference displayed in the game explorer reflected the current position, not just the ending position of the main line

By the way, thanks very much for the emphasis on the "Play Realism" capabilities, it is really appreciated - HIARCS is about the only engine that I can stand to use to spar against!
Mark Uniacke
Hiarcs Author

Post by Mark Uniacke »

redpill wrote:What about for games not in the database, eg new games or games vs. the computer during play?
The ECO reference and the opening name is displayed under the player names when you are entering new games, playing games or loading games.
Best wishes,
Mark

https://www.hiarcs.com
Mark Uniacke
Hiarcs Author

Re: Animation when replaying the game

Post by Mark Uniacke »

Cardinalle wrote:Guys, can you implement some move animation when playing and replaying the game(s), please?

I hope you know what I mean - something like a "slow motion slide" of a piece from one square to another. It would really help our eyes! Currently the piece is moved instantly and sometimes it's very difficult to see the move.

I teach and present the games a lot, and it is very exhausting to constantly "search" for what has changed on the board when I replay some game analysis. I believe it's not a big problem to develop this kind of animation.

And as a teacher, I raise another hand for the functionality that would allow me to "draw" lines and arrows on the board, or to color some specific squares etc.

Thanks! :)

And BTW, great product, I love it! I'm a MAC user and I don't want to have any sign of any Microsoft product on my piece of hardware, and therefore I don't use Chessbase. HCE rolls!
We have move animation already when playing games.

We currently do not have move animation when reviewing previously played games. This is a feature we have on our to do list.
Best wishes,
Mark

Mark Uniacke
Hiarcs Author

Post by Mark Uniacke »

pwwaring wrote:Thanks for the great program, I find myself turning to HCE almost all the time now! A few things on my wish list for a future release , some of which have already been suggested - so just add my vote for those!

1. The ability to run more than 1 engine in analysis explorer on same tab - very useful for a second opinion as you're analyzing a game
2. DGT board support!
3. The option to highlight the most recent move on board, not just the most recent engine move
4. The ability to designate a reference database
5. Possibility to automatically update a reference db from TWIC
6. Selecting multiple games for batch analysis
7. Stepping through a game, it would be nice if the opening reference displayed in the game explorer reflected the current position, not just the ending position of the main line

By the way, thanks very much for the emphasis on the "Play Realism" capabilities, it is really appreciated - HIARCS is about the only engine that I can stand to use to spar against!

1) Something we are considering but it is lower priority than some other items
2) DGT support is on our todo list but we are waiting for Mac DGT driver
3) This would be worthwhile
4) Why not load the reference database
5) Automatic updates will happen eventually
6) Batch analysis on the list
7) I am not sure it would make sense to keep changing the opening name just because someone goes down a subvariation. If you are doing this to learn openings a different solution would be preferable.
Best wishes,
Mark

pwwaring

Post by pwwaring »

Mark Uniacke wrote:
4) Why not load the reference database
My thought was that it would be very convenient to be able to analyze a game in one database but use a separate reference database as a source for information in the opening explorer and game explorer windows while doing so. Certainly there are workarounds by copying and pasting pgns back and forth to an empty board inside the reference database, but it's not nearly as convenient.

Another thing that would be very nice would be a second button in the game explorer window that would quickly do a search on the current position. Obviously it's already available from the menu, but it would be one click instead of 3...
Mark Uniacke
Hiarcs Author

Post by Mark Uniacke »

Thanks for the detail on how you would like to use the reference db.

On the other point about the current position, you can lock the Opening Explorer and Game Explorer to show the moves, statistics and games from the current position by using the Show games button (click on the padlock on the button to lock it).
Best wishes,
Mark