Linux - Ubuntu and Ubuntu Phone

Get your specific HIARCS/Junior support questions answered here as well as up-to-the-minute news!

Moderators: Watchman, Mark Uniacke, mrudolf

miguel

Linux - Ubuntu and Ubuntu Phone

Post by miguel »

Hi Mark,
Any plans to make Hiarcs avaiable to Linux?

I think with the recent development in th Ubuntu an Ubuntu Phone, with the joinning of major Telecoms this going to be probably the next it in the end of the year or begining of next year. Hav a look at this : http://www.ubuntu.com/phone/carrier-advisory-group

Soo maybe is time to move to Linux?

Regards
Miguel
Cositas

Post by Cositas »

Yes, please!
Trahald

Post by Trahald »

I would buy HCE for Linux in an instant. The lack of a top quality chess interface for Linux is one of the few reasons I have left for keeping Windows on my desktop TBH. While SCID and it's forks are quite powerful and currently the best choice, I am not particularly fond of it's UI.

I understand that more support is needed to make this a viable prospect for Hiarcs developers, but with the direction Windows seems to be taking, and the likes of the Steam making the transition. I have hope that this may become a reality in the not too distant future.
Hasimir

Post by Hasimir »

I too would be greatly interested in this (after my Mac's die), though
pitting the OS X 10.9 system against one of the Slackware systems
would be interesting.

Has anyone tried installing a Windows version with Wine?
OpenPGP/GPG Key: 0x321E4E2373590E5D - BTC address: 18Ua6y7D65QatEDZ36dtWNWpG9Ttrd4eqy
miguel

Post by miguel »

Hasimir wrote:I too would be greatly interested in this (after my Mac's die), though
would be interesting.

I've installed with wine and it works +- .

It works better then Chessbase with wine, but is not perfect.
Hasimir

Post by Hasimir »

miguel wrote:
Hasimir wrote:I too would be greatly interested in this (after my Mac's die), though
would be interesting.

Not being perfect is not unexpected, but it's an excellent start. If I were not so incredibly busy I'd test this:

https://github.com/shinh/maloader

Though obviously the ideal solution would be recompiling for Linux. It can't be that difficult, all it needs is a distro which supports Qt, maybe PyQt and whichever language(s) the rest is written in (probably C or C++) and then build static binaries.

If I were in Mark's shoes I'd build on a Slackware box (or 2, one for 32-bit and one for 64-bit) then test them on Debian and Red Hat. If that all works then it's about as good as it gets.

The reason for doing the dev and compiling work on Slackware is to avoid getting caught by distribution specific dependencies which might be encountered with many other distributions. Testing on the other two is to make sure you get the largest portion of the target market.
OpenPGP/GPG Key: 0x321E4E2373590E5D - BTC address: 18Ua6y7D65QatEDZ36dtWNWpG9Ttrd4eqy
miguel

Post by miguel »

Hasimir wrote:
miguel wrote:
would be interesting.

Not being perfect is not unexpected, but it's an excellent start. If I were not so incredibly busy I'd test this:

https://github.com/shinh/maloader

Though obviously the ideal solution would be recompiling for Linux. It can't be that difficult, all it needs is a distro which supports Qt, maybe PyQt and whichever language(s) the rest is written in (probably C or C++) and then build static binaries.

If I were in Mark's shoes I'd build on a Slackware box (or 2, one for 32-bit and one for 64-bit) then test them on Debian and Red Hat. If that all works then it's about as good as it gets.

The reason for doing the dev and compiling work on Slackware is to avoid getting caught by distribution specific dependencies which might be encountered with many other distributions. Testing on the other two is to make sure you get the largest portion of the target market.
Yep, I think Mark should do this, but, is his business.
Other programs have a Linux version, soo how dificult it can be?