Poll: Which is the best computer chess forum?

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.

Which is the best computer chess forum?

Rybka forum
10%
Hiarcs forum
60%
Talkchess
29%
Ninjachess
No votes
Computer Schach und Spiele
No votes
Arena forum
No votes
chesscircle.net
No votes
Other
2%

Total votes: 52

turbojuice1122

Poll: Which is the best computer chess forum?

Post by turbojuice1122 »

Simple opinion poll: which computer chess forum do you think is "best"? Obviously the definition of "best" depends on the individual.
turbojuice1122

Post by turbojuice1122 »

So, I voted Rybka forum, and here is my personal reasoning. First, I think that it must be either Rybka or Hiarcs, because these are two fora that (a) have direct contact between a major engine team and its customer base, and that have discussions on a wide variety of topics in computer chess and chess in general and that have a number of very intelligent members, and (b) there is quite good freedom of expression, unlike some other (unnamed here, but given as an option in the poll) forum(s) where everyone has to walk on eggshells to make sure that they might not slightly offend someone or make an opinion that is contrary to that of people or admins and have their posts deleted. As for my choice of the Rybka forum instead of the Hiarcs forum, the Rybka forum has a large number of people who are intently involved in the issues relating not only to Rybka's behavior, but to the behavior of many other engines, as well as broad, intense discussion on these issues, any side issues involved, as well as much humorous banter :-). This also tends to include a fairly large number of well-known people in the computer chess world.
Dylan Sharp

Post by Dylan Sharp »

I agree, and I'm the other Rybka forum vote.

I'm actually a Rybka spy acting as incognito 8)

Now, I'd want to know the reasons these 7 votes think that Hiarcs' the best forum, unless it's bias :roll:
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Dylan Sharp wrote:I agree, and I'm the other Rybka forum vote.

I'm actually a Rybka spy acting as incognito 8)

Now, I'd want to know the reasons these 7 votes think that Hiarcs' the best forum, unless it's bias :roll:
well for starters..
there are NO posts on Rybka about the old chess computers
so right there you have a HUGE shortcoming

Hiarcs is a walkaway as the BEST chess computer forum on the planet

No Brainer Regards
Steve
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Post by Harvey Williamson »

turbojuice1122 wrote:So, I voted Rybka forum, and here is my personal reasoning. First, I think that it must be either Rybka or Hiarcs, because these are two fora that (a) have direct contact between a major engine team and its customer base, and that have discussions on a wide variety of topics in computer chess and chess in general and that have a number of very intelligent members, and (b) there is quite good freedom of expression, unlike some other (unnamed here, but given as an option in the poll) forum(s) where everyone has to walk on eggshells to make sure that they might not slightly offend someone or make an opinion that is contrary to that of people or admins and have their posts deleted. As for my choice of the Rybka forum instead of the Hiarcs forum, the Rybka forum has a large number of people who are intently involved in the issues relating not only to Rybka's behavior, but to the behavior of many other engines, as well as broad, intense discussion on these issues, any side issues involved, as well as much humorous banter :-). This also tends to include a fairly large number of well-known people in the computer chess world.
a - I agree

I am not sure about your point regarding a large number of people involved with Computer Chess. Here we have Hyatt, Schroder, Chrilly. Cozzie, Hallsworth, Uniacke etc and a number of people who post on both forums.

As for freedom I would have agreed till an admin deleted a poll that I started identical to one that is running here.

To quote him:
You post some ugly pictures of dead fish, which really hurts my feelings
If you try to discuss a general computer chess topic in the main room of the Rybka forum that does not involve Rybka the same admin will move it to another room.

So while I agree we have the 2 best forums - if you want to discuss freely all aspects of Computer Chess - Hiarcs is the only forum allowing this.
Lukas

Post by Lukas »

Difficult question
What is better - Rybka or Hiarcs forum?
Pro Rybka: more discussions going on
Pro Hiarcs: my very subjective view: I think, peolpe are more polite here

Best regards,
Lukas
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Post by Harvey Williamson »

Lukas wrote:Difficult question
What is better - Rybka or Hiarcs forum?
Pro Rybka: more discussions going on
Pro Hiarcs: my very subjective view: I think, peolpe are more polite here

Best regards,
Lukas
Hi Lukas,

Thanks for nominating us the polite forum.

Happy Christmas.

Now F__k off ;-)

Harvey
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Harvey Williamson wrote:
Hi Lukas
Now F__k off ;-)

Harvey
ditto
:P
Xmas Regards
Steve
Last edited by Steve B on Mon Dec 24, 2007 9:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dylan Sharp

Post by Dylan Sharp »

Harvey Williamson wrote:Here we have Hyatt, Schroder, Chrilly. Cozzie, Hallsworth, Uniacke etc and a number of people who post on both forums.
But they almost never post. If the users of this forum posted a lot more, and quality posts, then it would be an even match, but so far, to me, Rybka wins due to higher activity and post quality (Not to say that Rybka Forum's posts have more quality, only that there are more of them.)

But as for Dedicated Computer Chess, Hiarcs forum wins hands down ;)
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Dylan Sharp wrote:
Rybka wins due to higher activity and post quality (Not to say that Rybka Forum's posts have more quality, only that there are more of them.)
then that would be post Quantity..Not Quality

I agree the Quality here is above all of the rest

Fair Appraisal Regards
Steve
turbojuice1122

Post by turbojuice1122 »

there are NO posts on Rybka about the old chess computers

That's another good reason to prefer the Rybka forum: we don't have countless meaningless posts about boring antique furniture. :D

Cheers! :P
Tony Thomas

Post by Tony Thomas »

I didnt want to be yet another fan boi or a donkey kisser. So I voted for talkchess. I did not agree with some of the things that happend there few months ago that resulted in a re-election. However, things are somewhat back to normal.
GK2000

Post by GK2000 »

I like both Hiarcs and Rybka forums, both have their good and bad things.

I do very much like the Topic here on the Chess dedicated machines as i have a small collection as well and will be posting in this Topic very soon.

At the moment I have not voted as I cant make decision between the two.

PS: I am also a moderator of the Rybka forum, but I do not delete or move peoples post until I have contacted them via PM to discuss it first. :)
Wardy

Post by Wardy »

I agree with Lukas, the Hiarcs forum has a more grown up and polite feeling to it, add in Collectors Corner, chess challenge games and the input from Mark and the other fine programmers and it's an easy win for the Hiarcs forum!
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

GK2000 wrote:I like both Hiarcs and Rybka forums, both have their good and bad things.

I do very much like the Topic here on the Chess dedicated machines as i have a small collection as well and will be posting in this Topic very soon.

At the moment I have not voted as I cant make decision between the two.

PS: I am also a moderator of the Rybka forum, but I do not delete or move peoples post until I have contacted them via PM to discuss it first. :)
Welcome to Hiarcs
your moderation philosophy of contacting members privately is a fine one which i also adhere to
great Avatar!

Best Regards
Steve