The Machine

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

The Machine

Post by Harvey Williamson »

http://www.donmarwarehouse.com/whats-on/the-machine

An interesting play. I have booked to see it in Manchester in July. It is also showing in New york!
The Machine

A new play by Matt Charman

10 July 2013 - 18 September 2013

The Donmar is proud to announce a new international collaboration with Manchester International Festival and Park Avenue Armory, New York. To be performed in Manchester and New York, Josie Rourke directs award-winning playwright Matt Charman’s new play, THE MACHINE.

In 1997, Garry Kasparov, the world’s greatest chess player, arrived in New York City for the biggest match of his life.

His opponent wasn’t a fellow Grandmaster but a faceless super-computer, Deep Blue, built by tech-giant IBM in a bid to raise its profile and its stock price.

An international celebrity and the undisputed master of his art, Kasparov came to America for freedom and glory. What he didn’t expect to confront was the lifelong dedication of another man, Deep Blue’s wunderkind inventor Doctor Hsu. Both geniuses, they staked their reputation on the tournament.

What followed was one of the most compelling stories of our time.

Produced and commissioned by Donmar Warehouse, Manchester International Festival, Park Avenue Armory, New York

MANCHESTER INTERNATIONAL FESTIVAL
Dates:
10-21 July, 7.30pm
also 2.30pm on 13, 20, 21 July

Tickets:
£35, £25
(previews: 10-11 July, £18)

BOOK ONLINE

Venue:
Campfield Market Hall
Campfield Avenue Arcade
Manchester M3 4FH

PARK AVENUE ARMORY, NEW YORK
Dates:
4-18 September
Tuesday & Thursday 7pm
Wednesday 2pm & 7pm
Friday 8pm
Saturday 2pm & 8pm
Sunday 2pm

Tickets:
from $45
(previews: 4-5 Sept, from $25)

READ MORE HERE

Veune:
Park Avenue Armory
643 Park Avenue
New York
NY 10065

Run time: To be confirmed

Director
Josie Rourke - Read bio
Designer
Lucy Osborne - Read bio
Lighting Designer
Mark Henderson
Sound Designer
Ian Dickinson - Read bio
Choreographer
Jonathan Watkins
Casting
Alastair Coomer CDG
Kemuri

Post by Kemuri »

Blimey, I really should be in this! Plus I was at Uni with Matt Charman.

Time to drop him and email, methinks... :)
I don't believe in intuition, but I've got a funny feeling that one day I will...
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

I went to see this and really enjoyed it:

They promoted my friend David levy to a GM which he is very happy about. My one complaint is the way they read out Chess scores. eg Nxd5 would be read as n x d5 rather than Knight takes d5.

A nice review here http://www.northernsoul.me.uk/the-machine/

Hadley Fraser as kasperov

Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Disney are turning it into a Movie! http://www.deadline.com/2013/09/disney- ... -computer/

EXCLUSIVE: Disney has acquired screen rights to the Matthew Charman play The Machine for Disney-based Mandeville producing partners David Hoberman and Todd Lieberman. Charman will adapt his play about the 1997 chess match between an IBM computer called Deep Blue and its designer Dr. Hsu, pitted against chess grandmaster Garry Kasparov. The famed battle between human brain and machine is history so — spoiler alert — Kasparov won the first match and Deep Blue the rematch. Charman developed the play with the Manchester International Festival, and it premiered as part of that event in July as a co-production with Donmar Productions. The Machine made its U.S. premiere earlier this month at The Park Avenue Armory. The London-based Charman wrote the plays A Night At The Dogs, The Five Wives Of Maurice Pinder and The Observer, all of which made their world premieres at The Royal National Theatre where he became a writer in residence. He separately scripted the Michelle Williams-starrer Suite Francaise, directed by Saul Dibb for The Weinstein Company, and Charman scripted the science fiction project 200 Miles for Working Title. Charman also wrote the six-part mini Our Zoo, which starts production this fall for BBC One.

Alexander Young will be executive producer on The Machine and Hal Vogel will co-produce. Charman’s repped by CAA, ITG, and Jeff Silver.