The Ultimate Challenge Harvey+Sebi v The Forum Team

Designed for posting all types of tournaments and Games (e.g. Man vs. Machine, Computer vs. Computer and basement matches.)

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
turbojuice1122

Post by turbojuice1122 »

Hetman, I know what you're saying, but I think that if we discuss our reasons for wanting certain moves, then there is a chance that other forum members could change their votes if someone comes up with a good idea; also, since much discussion happens before many people vote anyway, that helps as well. I think we can win :-).
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Post by Harvey Williamson »

turbojuice1122 wrote:Hetman, I know what you're saying, but I think that if we discuss our reasons for wanting certain moves, then there is a chance that other forum members could change their votes if someone comes up with a good idea; also, since much discussion happens before many people vote anyway, that helps as well. I think we can win :-).
If you want to discuss and analyse and change your minds and lose on time as you will in just over 2 hours if your Captain does not make your move that is fine with sebi and me ;-)

Good Luck,

Harvey
AMD64inside

Post by AMD64inside »

I vote for d6.....
"The game itself is nothing, the playing of it is everything"
turbojuice1122

Post by turbojuice1122 »

If our captain doesn't reply on time, I take it upon myself to reply with 2...e6 and take whatever beratings people have to throw at me :-)
mackgra

Post by mackgra »

Where is our captain? where is Dylan?
is he keeping us in suspence until the last moment!?

It looks as 2...e6 has the most votes so as self appointed vice captain :twisted: if Dylan hasn't replied 2...e6 should be played

Graham
Dylan Sharp

Post by Dylan Sharp »

[edit]* Dylan appears in pajamas.

Sorry, I hope I'm not late, I'll vote for e6 too so hopefully that's enough for it to win:

[edit]

Code: Select all

Total Votes: 34

e6 - 12   (35.3 %)
 d6 -  9.5 (27.95%)
Nc6 -  6.5 (19.11%)
 c4 -  2   ( 5.88%)
 g6 -  1   ( 2.94%)
 e5 -  1   ( 2.94%)
Qc7 -  1   ( 2.94%)
 f5 -  1   ( 2.94%)

Official Team Move:

2...e6
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Dylan Sharp wrote:[edit]* Dylan appears in pajamas.

Sorry, I hope I'm not late, I'll vote for e6 too so hopefully that's enough for it to win:

[edit]

Code: Select all

Total Votes: 34

e6 - 12   (35.3 %)
 d6 -  9.5 (27.95%)
Nc6 -  6.5 (19.11%)
 c4 -  2   ( 5.88%)
 g6 -  1   ( 2.94%)
 e5 -  1   ( 2.94%)
Qc7 -  1   ( 2.94%)
 f5 -  1   ( 2.94%)

Official Team Move:

2...e6
glad you just made it just in the nick of time Dylan

if you didnt then it would be my hide in the ringer because i accepted your offer to Captain the team

hopefully you will not bring us to the brink like this on every move or i shall pass away from heart failure

Breathless Regards
Steve
turbojuice1122

Post by turbojuice1122 »

Phew! That was close! :-)
Dylan Sharp

Post by Dylan Sharp »

I should have voted for d6, then e6 would have won 11 to 10.5, played by a half vote! Even more dramatic!
turbojuice1122

Post by turbojuice1122 »

For our next move, I propose we play 3...cxd4. How am I so sure that the Hiarcs team will play 3.d4, you might ask. It's because I know they want to win. They won't win, though...not against us. We're too good for them. But they have this strange thought that they can win, and so they won't play something drawish like 3.d3. Of course, they might try something like 3.Nc3, but that would give us an opportunity to close things up, and they don't want that because they are under this mistaken notion that they can beat us. We shall punish them for that, though...
Dylan Sharp

Post by Dylan Sharp »

Ok, I'll let Pre-vote begin, just in case Harvey+Sebi play d4, you can vote for cxd4 (Or other move against d4) already :)
klute

The Wrath of Kan

Post by klute »

1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 e6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 a6!

The Kan is one of the Sicilian's best-kept secrets. Yet it has been played by several World Champions, including Kasparov, Karpov, Fischer, Petrosian and Tal, and many of the top modern grandmasters, such as Anand, Kamsky, the Polgars and Ilya Gurevich.

Black adopts a flexible stance, and repeatedly obtains positions far removed from the standard Sicilian scenarios. Its practical sting is clear from a glance through this book - Black is ready to strike if White overextends. Those who face the Sicilian as White spend enormous amounts of time studying the Najdorf and the Dragon, but are frequently taken unawares by the flexible Kan.

Winning With the Kan by IM Ali Mortazavi - a real paper tome in my library!
Mark Ryan

Post by Mark Ryan »

"We are not being stronger as the Hiarcs team.
Our strength it is a medium strength of the voters if the current system of move selection is working.

We might have been stronger if someone will coordinate our work and separates the tasks for the particular forum team members.
That way we have chance to draw .

Rgds
Hetman"

The Chessgames.com forum team has developed teamwork to a science. They have defeated two grandmasters, with no losses, and they are playing well in their third game against a former world correspondence champion. They separate the duties, and they have a great ability to refute lines that initially looked promising. As a result, they have developed a style of play that I would describe as super-solid: they just don't make mistakes; they play almost like Capablanca at his best.

However, none of this really comes into play during the opening phase, when voters are basically choosing their favourite move from a set of good options. (In the late opening phase, we might need some more co-ordination.)
Dylan Sharp

Post by Dylan Sharp »

Chessgames.com's strategy wouldn't work here, though, as our opponents have total access to the discussions of our moves, so we can't have a "secret plan."
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Post by Harvey Williamson »

3.d4 it is.

if 3...cxd4 4.Nxd4
Last edited by Harvey Williamson on Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.