Chess Computers With 4 LED Lights On Each Square.

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Steve B
Site Admin

Re: Chess Computers With 4 LED Lights On Each Square.

Post by Steve B »

7Chessfan7 wrote:Does anyone know how many different model chess computers have 4 LED lights on each square? I know that the Novag Universal Electronic Chess Board and the Saitek Renaissance chess computer have 4 LED lights on each square. Doesn't the Tasc R30 or Tasc R40 have 4 LED lights on each square?
Well its the Tasc Smart Board ..SB30 that has the 81 Leds
This board is used with the R30/R40 units
the Tasc Smartboard SB 20 has only 1 LED(64) on each square
others..
Novag Citrine
Phoenix Revelation I and Revelation II

i think that is all of them but i have to think if there are others..

Hmmm Regards
Steve
xchessg

Re: Chess Computers With 4 LED Lights On Each Square.

Post by xchessg »

Steve B wrote:
7Chessfan7 wrote:Does anyone know how many different model chess computers have 4 LED lights on each square? I know that the Novag Universal Electronic Chess Board and the Saitek Renaissance chess computer have 4 LED lights on each square. Doesn't the Tasc R30 or Tasc R40 have 4 LED lights on each square?
Well its the Tasc Smart Board ..SB30 that has the 81 Leds
This board is used with the R30/R40 units
the Tasc Smartboard SB 20 has only 1 LED(64) on each square
others..
Novag Citrine
Phoenix Revelation I and Revelation II

i think that is all of them but i have to think if there are others..

Hmmm Regards
Steve
Hi

For the sake of being complete, there are Mephisto compatible 81 led boards around (exclusive and München size). First there used to be a firm Impos which built the Impos Royal (tournement size, even bigger then the München) for a small period of time. These boards weren't as solid as the original Mephistos. After Impos stopped production, there have been some home-built boards showing up on ebay.

I have both 64 and 81 Led boards. I prefer the 64 Leds, actually. I have always found that when "short" moves are indicated (like a2a3), the 64 led boards do that more clearly, while the 81 leds ones tend to confuse me.

The only advantage for 81 over 64 Leds seem to be that the leds are placed more discretely in the corners, in contrast to the 64 holes...

Xavier