Saitek Risc 2500 Chess Computer Opening Library.

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Larry

Re: Saitek Risc 2500 Chess Computer Opening Library.

Post by Larry »

7Chessfan7 wrote:Does anyone know if Saitek programmed the last batch of Version 1.04 of the Risc 2500 chess computer with the Mephisto Montreux's 380,023 half-move opening library or just the 100,000 half-move opening library that the other, earlier Risc 2500 chess computers have in them?
We discussed the size of the Montreux openings library here a few years
back. After some discussion it was generally agreed that it was only
ever an assumption about the huge book size of the Montreux. The
256kb rom for the Montreux is mostly empty. We found no official
company documentation supporting such a book size and concluded
that it was a case of a rumour being passed around until it was accepted
as fact.
The Montreux has a the later ARM6 processor only because that's what
the supplier supplied. It was never intended as a "next generation"
computer and has the same book as all the RISC2500 versions.
As for RISC2500 versions, the dates on the startup screens
are too close for anything other than minor bug fixes to be
implemented.
L
Monsieur Plastique

Post by Monsieur Plastique »

A programmer does not necessarily know the size of the book, as they are usually done by a third party and then incorporated into the ROM (or ROMs) along with the program.

I often wonder how people can know the exact number of half moves or positions in a given opening book of a dedicated chess computer. It's fine of course if that information is supplied by the manufacturer and that information happens to be accurate, but even then they might get things wrong unless that information is given to them directly by the author. So unless someone has some sort of way of reading the library from the ROM, I would be taking it with a grain of salt. I suppose doing so is possible, though in all my years I've yet to see any sort of "dump" from a dedicated chess computer opening book (except the very tiny ones with a couple of hundred moves or so).
Chess is like painting the Mona Lisa whilst walking through a minefield.
Larry

Post by Larry »

7Chessfan7 wrote: Another chess computer fan posted a message some time ago stating that he had actually counted the Montreux's opening library half-moves and verified that the Montreux's actual opening book size is 380,023 half-moves.
That was SteveB pulling our leg.
Calling the chess computer opening book cops now regards,
Larry