The future of computer chess?

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Cyberchess

The future of computer chess?

Post by Cyberchess »

“Futureworld” is the 1976 sequel to the enormously popular “Westworld” of 1975. Having thoroughly enjoyed Westworld, I went to see Futureworld upon its debut.

While it doesn’t quite live up to its predecessor, the futuristic chess scene in this film left a lasting impression to this day.

Will any of us live long enough to have such a hi-tech device in our homes? Only time will tell…

John

http://www.themovieclips.com/trailer-futureworld

HPC

Post by HPC »

So, you want yourself duplicated. I suppose such a duplicate could mow the yard, wash the dishes, take the wife shopping and teach you Chess. Ah, that is it: you want the duplicate to enter Chess tournaments and win money for you! :D
Cyberchess

Post by Cyberchess »

HPC wrote:So, you want yourself duplicated. I suppose such a duplicate could mow the yard, wash the dishes, take the wife shopping and teach you Chess. Ah, that is it: you want the duplicate to enter Chess tournaments and win money for you! :D
:idea: My duplicate could do all of that and more! There's just one problem: the duplicate is programmed to destroy the original. :x

:wink: Actually, what I'd really like is a duplicate of the cute Blythe Danner from '76! She could thrash me in holographic sports all day long...
Cyberchess

Post by Cyberchess »

If anyone would like to view the complete futuristic holographic chess scene within the context of this vintage Sci-Fi gem, MGM has recently released the long awaited for Blu-Ray version:

http://www.amazon.com/Futureworld-Blu-r ... utureworld

8) Happy HD Viewing Regards,
John
ChessPro50

Post by ChessPro50 »

Nice :)
fourthirty

Post by fourthirty »

Reminds me of Battle Chess on my old Atari ST!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iaL0yp1cHo
Cyberchess

Post by Cyberchess »

:P Holy White Rabbit! A more recent blast from the past!

I remember this program for the DOS OS. Could the developers have been influenced by FutureWorld? Back in ‘88/’89, SchachMeister 2100 was highly acclaimed and enormously popular with PC chess players, but I was partial to the Spracklen’s Sargon IV in those days.

Thanks for posting regards,
John
fourthirty

Post by fourthirty »

Cyberchess wrote::P Holy White Rabbit!
Wow, I've never seen that Jefferson Airplane video before. In the spirit of Jeff Spicoli's famous "People on 'ludes should not drive" quote:

"People of 'shrooms should not play chess"

I don't even want to think about the potential for flashbacks after being subjected to a Fried Liver Attack.

Timothy Leary sends his Regards...
Cyberchess

Post by Cyberchess »

fourthirty wrote:
Cyberchess wrote::P Holy White Rabbit!
Wow, I've never seen that Jefferson Airplane video before. In the spirit of Jeff Spicoli's famous "People on 'ludes should not drive" quote:

"People of 'shrooms should not play chess"

I don't even want to think about the potential for flashbacks after being subjected to a Fried Liver Attack.

Timothy Leary sends his Regards...
I have to agree, Greg, as this would be akin to plugging your favorite chess computer into a higher than the required voltage power supply, with the end result being the same sooner or later.

This video was recorded in 1967 when psychedelics were widely distributed – particularly in the bay area which was heavily populated with hippies. Also, psychedelics were peddled throughout lower Manhattan, its satellites and Long Island.

Some made it, some never returned.

Just say no regards,
John