Come on friends, help (Mephisto Talking Chess Academy)

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Reinfeld

Come on friends, help (Mephisto Talking Chess Academy)

Post by Reinfeld »

I picked this one up about nine months back after getting sucked into a debate about Morsch-Barnes collaborations. I walked out with this question:
Is the Mephisto Schachakademie the strongest dedicated machine with a voice component?
Separate question:
One obvious feature surprised me: the voice speaks in German, which makes perfect sense on one level - the seller was based in Germany. Still, I figured I'd get the English version by picking the English model (Talking Chess as opposed to Schachakademie). The manual is in English first, German second. "I talk!" the packaging boasts - not "Ich rede!"

I see no option to change the language. I thought I'd avoided that. I wonder if model numbers play a role here. The box model number is marked as CT06X, as opposed to CT06U or CT06V. Would that be the secret?
Extra trivia:
...this would be my guessed-at final four of talking machines, in order of seeding:

1. Talking Chess Academy/Schachakademie
2. Kishon Chesster*
3. Excalibur Igor
4. Chesster Challenger*

The Chessters are problematic. I wasn't aware until recently that there are two versions of Kishon (one Fidelity, one Mephisto). Perhaps that would explain certain discrepancies. I have the sense that Kishon is *stronger* than the original Chesster - it is certainly newer - but sources seem to differ.
"You have, let us say, a promising politician, a rising artist that you wish to destroy. Dagger or bomb are archaic and unreliable - but teach him, inoculate him with chess."
– H.G. Wells