Hiarcs always plays same opening

Get your specific HIARCS/Junior support questions answered here as well as up-to-the-minute news!

Moderators: Watchman, Mark Uniacke, mrudolf

Dirtalot

Hiarcs always plays same opening

Post by Dirtalot »

Why does Hiarcs chess explorer always play the sicilian defence when responding to 1 E4 ? It would nice if Hiarcs could play some other responses without having to manually set it up.
Dirtalot

Anyone?

Post by Dirtalot »

I'm even on the right forum? I ask a question to the Hiarcs chess explorer people! however people only seem to reply to posts about retro chess machines! does anyone know the forum for the HIARCS chess explorer?
Many thanks
IanO

Re: Anyone?

Post by IanO »

Dirtalot wrote:I'm even on the right forum? I ask a question to the Hiarcs chess explorer people! however people only seem to reply to posts about retro chess machines! does anyone know the forum for the HIARCS chess explorer?
Many thanks
I'm sure someone already told you, but HIARCS questions should be asked in the support forum. Indeed, this General Discussion forum has become a cozy haven for dedicated chess computer enthusiasts. (I wonder if it would be worth a forum name change?)
Dirtalot

Post by Dirtalot »

Sorry...nobody told me, i just assumed that the HIARCS forum was for the HIARCS product.You must admit, it is kind of misleading!
Will i have to repost on the support part of the forum or will they eventually answer here?
Again, I apologise
Thanks
Mark Uniacke
Hiarcs Author

Post by Mark Uniacke »

The support email is given in the email with your license key.

Answering your question...

HIARCS is probably set on its tournament book and with learning it may be wanting to go down the same lines (e.g. Sicilian).

You can turn book learning off in the engine options. That will allow normal variety depending on the book mode.

You can change the book mode to Wild, Surprise, Dynamic and Tournament, the earlier ones have much more variety than the latter. Tournament has quite a lot of variety and will play 1.e4, 1.d4, 1.Nf3, 1.c4, the other modes have much higher levels of move choice variety.

Also if you set an elo strength below 2500 it will play with progressively more variety to reflect a very wide range of openings.

Any issues please email me.
Best wishes,
Mark

https://www.hiarcs.com
Dirtalot

Post by Dirtalot »

Thanks for the clarification. i shall change some settings.