Gavon is here.....

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
fourthirty

Post by fourthirty »

Cyberchess wrote:Excellent!

Perhaps Gavon (Disco Check) should dance with the Rev II’s Toga program. This would be reminiscent of the vintage frat film “Animal House”.

8) All night dorm party regards,
John
Are these auto-sensory pieces?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shot-Glass-Beer ... 4897.l4275
Cyberchess

Post by Cyberchess »

fourthirty wrote:
Cyberchess wrote:Excellent!

Perhaps Gavon (Disco Check) should dance with the Rev II’s Toga program. This would be reminiscent of the vintage frat film “Animal House”.

8) All night dorm party regards,
John
Are these auto-sensory pieces?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shot-Glass-Beer ... 4897.l4275
That’s just what the doctor ordered!

:wink: We’ll just wait for the opposing queen to get a bit tipsy then...

Feeling no pain in the middle-game regards,
John
Wardy

Post by Wardy »

Pondering is now supported for stockfish on its highest elo setting.

Josu is still crunching out the updates :-)
Wardy

Post by Wardy »

Toga II has been added to the ever growing list of engines in Gavon. It makes a great chess partner, engines of all strengths and styles.
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Just a question

Post by Fernando »

Which us the use and/or advantage of that contrivance compared with any android tablet of any size capable of playing same Stockfish and many other programs with screen, board etc...?

Fern
Festina Lente
Wardy

Post by Wardy »

Hi Fern,

In reality probably not much other than working directly with the dgt USB board to register moves. I'm still playing to try and get bluetooth working with my Revelation II.

Josu has continued to add additional engines so there is a wide choice of styles and strengths to play.

Mostly I like it as it's like playing a dedicated machine 8)
Berger

Post by Berger »

Hi,

For those using Gavon connected to Solus Chess, I would like to announce that I have just published a new improved version of Solus Chess, in which you can capture naturally, in any order.

More info here: https://sites.google.com/site/bergerspr ... luschess_2

Regards,
Berger
jbergara

Post by jbergara »

Thanks Berger

This summer I couldn't travel with a huge USB board, but my Solus chess board built from a mephisto modular using your software, allowed me play several games with my Gavon Chess System

And when my wife does't want to see me playing chess with the USB huge DGT board over the dining room, I go to another room and play over my Solus chees board until we dinner together.

Josu
Wardy

Post by Wardy »

Welcome Josu!
mclane

Post by mclane »

It would be much faster to input moves if the computer would show a sorted move list of the possible moves.
If the list is sorted by evaluation the user maybe only had to scroll through
2 or 4 moves until confirming the move he wants to play.
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....
jbergara

Post by jbergara »

You are right, iterate about possible moves is already implemented as Gavon's input method, but if you short them by evaluation gives clues about best moves.

Another approach could be short to iterate by piece with two buttons and after select unselect with other two iterate the squares it could be move. I haven't had time to implement this sort as input method in my system, but I will do.
mclane

Post by mclane »

jbergara wrote:You are right, iterate about possible moves is already implemented as Gavon's input method, but if you short them by evaluation gives clues about best moves.

Another approach could be short to iterate by piece with two buttons and after select unselect with other two iterate the squares it could be move. I haven't had time to implement this sort as input method in my system, but I will do.
The far best would be to use 8 (a1-h8 ) instead of 5 buttons.

:-)

Also a sorted move list could be very fast if the move the stronger player wants to play is in the top 3 or 5.
Of course giving a sorted move list is a kind of HINT which moves are good,
Maybe make a switch for people who want to do serious play should use a NON sorted move list.

Another thing could be: support USB keyboards, so users can hack the moves into an external keyboard, this way they could input coordinate or short notation or whatever.

So for the people with NO external board, they have the dedicated chess computer + external sub keyboard and that's all.

I don't know how others would use such a little self made chess computer, I would like to use it as opponent for my dedicated chess computers,
It would increase the variance of pairings, normally you either
Have kittinger, morsch , schroeder or Lang machines, with such a little machine you could use some more opponents.
Of course the hardware is fast, so there would be my need to reduce playing strength by setting up UCI parameter or reducing mhz of the machine.
In many mobile/ tablet apps there is such a command to reduce playing strength.
mclane

Post by mclane »

ok, one a picture on ebay i saw that it is possible to attach an USB keyboard to the machine. so there is no need for entering the moves (in the complicate way) via the 5 keys but one can enter it comfortable via the big keyboard, right ?
i hope so.

therefore i ordered such a chess computer.

thank you !

the future is our past. our past is our future !

NOVAG - GAVON
mclane

Post by mclane »

when i was younger i worked in a computer company. there were 3 companies. one company for computer machinery such as electrical typewriters and fotocopying machines. then a company for office desks and chairs. and third a company for computers. all in one building.

so whenever somewhere a company needed new desks, or computers, or other equipment, the company could deliver anything that was needed.
or when somewhere a new company was founded, our company could deliver anything that was needed for the offices.

one day my boss came with an idea: thorsten you are an expert in computerchess, you could sell dedicated chess computers or software in our company too. as a sub-department of the computer-company. so i got 15.000 DM and ordered all kind of dedicated chess computers and software.

my work suddenly was no "work" anymore. i could whole day enjoy computerchess and talking with "customers" was like talking with friends.

that was the day my computerchess department was founded/build.
we had very expensive desks and chairs in our furniture department, and i put the machines onto those wooden desks.

:wink:

that was a nice time and i had much fun.

a few years before i remember how we beta tested the SciSys Leonardo machine.
i got one of the few and first cheap made Leonardo machines, and could interface it with my home computer.

at its time it came out, the sci sys leonardo was a very cool machine.
you could connect it with a computer and get information and input opening book, games or positions into the memory, read out games and save them in ASCII on disc. PGN was not born at that time.
later chessbase programs were capable to parse the leonardo output via the clipboard. so we had a way to input all the games from chessboard into the PC.

from time to time i got a telephone call from Dirk Frickenschmidt.
He was a friend of mine and we were involved in testing the new ROM versions of the Maestro/analyst modules.
whenever he had a new version from Kaplan, we had heavy traffic on the telephone line and testing began. countless hours of tournament games against all opponent machines.

the feeling of doing something for the first time, the feeling of testing something that is a prototype. that is a very interesting emotion.

P.S.:
In 1986 this "boss" and i travelled to cologne where we tried to help Computer Schach and Spiele organising the computer chess championship.
http://youtu.be/4ttcO4UU9RU

At the time 1986 there was no chessbase company, but wuellenweber had a PRG on ATARI ST later it would be the ChessBaseStarter prg. Wuellenweber never thought of doing a commercial thing. He believed that he could found a CLUB where all chess players could bring in their chess games and there would be a big database for all members of this club. therefore his first programs were for free. Frederic Friedel maybe convinced him that he should make money out of that idea.
At the time of cologne i was a member of the computer schach and spiele team. writing from time to time articles about dedicated chess computers. At the time we used the ATARI ST to enter all chess games that were played during the championship. we tried to get the games DURING the games, so we would not have to enter all games AFTER the event, that would have taken too long. there were no USB Sticks, no universal Floppy Disc stuff. the computers had all different standards.
So we took the notation via hand, input it into the ATARI ST machines.
then it was all printed out on paper!!! we then took a scissor and glue stick and put all the games a master bulletin.
and ran to RANK XEROX. there everything was copied for all the members of the tournament. so that after each round anybody had a copy of all games from the round.
the games were commented during the rounds by IGM Vlastimil Hort, on the youtube video you can listen how he comments the games. Hort was together with GM Helmut Pfleger who is very much known in germany from television because he made tv shows about scientific topics in german school television.

my friend Siggi Schuette later became the boss in the computer company who asked me to do a computerchess department.
And a few years later he changed to be Saitek development manager and moved into the north where the german Saitek company had its new central office.
mclane

Post by mclane »

There is also Writer and computerchess enthusiast Ephraim Kishon in the youtube video. He visited the championship and was there in a talk round with others. Of course Frederic Friedel and Dieter Steinwender and many others too.