Fidelity Avantgarde Premiere

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
kgvetter

Fidelity Avantgarde Premiere

Post by kgvetter »

Hello,

coming, after some search into the possession of the above mentioned machine, some questions are arising:

I opened the unit and found a Toshiba CPU running at 16.75 mhz, it would be interesting to know if all Premieres were equipped with that CPU.

Furhermore my interest is in exploring how many units were produced of Premieres by Fidelity.

I posted a similar question on schachcomputer.info and was surprised about zero-answers to the theme which leads me to about two possible conclusions:

Premiere-owners are not very talkative

or

There are not too many of them.

A combination of the above is also possible.

I have been a lurker in this forum for years, now I am coming out and greet Steve as a doyen in the scene and all the others I had contact with like Reinfeld whose Risc 2500 hopefully is still working.

As to the Premiere, I know about 10 owners in Germany, how many still exist in the US, where the model was sold exclusively, I don`t know.

Thankful for any hint, Gerhard
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

kgvetter wrote: Furhermore my interest is in exploring how many units were produced of Premieres by Fidelity.

Hi Gerhard
the Premiere auction mentions 500 units although my Premiere's serial number is 50526 which seems to indicate more then 500 units
my guess would be no more then 1000 units

i know the EAG V5 and V8 were only produced in 50 units..(told to me by Ron Nelson)

Gala Premiere Regards
Steve
Brian B

Post by Brian B »

Steve,

Any idea of the production runs of the other EAG models?
2100?
v2 through v11, excluding the v5 and v8?

Curious regards,
Brian B
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Brian B wrote:Steve,

2100?

Curious regards,
Brian B
again i would have to guess
for V2 and V6 I would say perhaps 2500 each
for V9 and V10...i think 50 same as V5 and V8
for V3,V4 and V7..these were simply the same as the V2 and V6 but with more memory..my guess here is that these were custom made when a customer ordered them
(my V4 shows as serial number of 92570008)

the V11 was not released by Fidelity and is a home made modified computer so no idea(or interest) in how many of them are out there

V2-V10 Regards
Steve
Mike Watters

Post by Mike Watters »

Hi Gerhard

I have had three Elite Premieres
Serial Number - 00048623 - now in Germany
00050664 - also now in Germany
and 00050628.

You can see them here -
http://www.chesscomputeruk.com/html/fid ... miere.html
and here
http://www.elpeon.com/index.php?mod=premiere

Fidelity serial numbers do not seem a reliable way of estimating the numbers built. On the website I say 500 were made. I think that came from a publication of the time. The 48623 and 505xx-506xx numbers suggest they were manufactured in at least two batches, with other products in between.

All the best
Mike
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Steve B wrote:
Brian B wrote:Steve,

2100?

Curious regards,
Brian B
again i would have to guess
for V2 and V6 I would say perhaps 2500 each
for V9 and V10...i think 50 same as V5 and V8
for V3,V4 and V7..these were simply the same as the V2 and V6 but with more memory..my guess here is that these were custom made when a customer ordered them
(my V4 shows as serial number of 92570008)

the V11 was not released by Fidelity and is a home made modified computer so no idea(or interest) in how many of them are out there

V2-V10 Regards
Steve
Speaking of the V7...
A new offering from the Master Modder
this time he has thrown together a motherboard with an overclocked V7 for those wishing to gut and replace the insides of their EAG's

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chess-Computer- ... 20eff46973

Modifying Regards
Steve
kgvetter

Post by kgvetter »

Hi Mike,

thanks for your input. The serial 00050664 is actually the one which is in my happy possession now... Which leads me to the conclusion (after you state about this one that it had four owners in four years) that maybe not 500 were produced but only 100 which changed owners 5 times each, so this way you come to 500 owners.

stochastical regards,

Gerhard