Collector's Corner..On Collecting Dedicated Chess Computers

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Chessbama

Post by Chessbama »

xchessg wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:Have you guys
seen this? http://www.chess.com/forum/view/chess-e ... s-computer
Well,

That went rather well for The House, now they've pulled out a premiere... That employee is on the list for a raise, he'll earn The House his year's sallary of they continue like that :lol:
Every Chess-related business is now fevereshly cleaning out the backyard shed :twisted:

Xavier
I hope so! :-) We have a Fidelity Designer 6113 going up on Sunday.
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

And Yet another defective Novag Robot Adversary

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Novag-Robot-Adve ... 3a9c324704

What Else Is New Regards
Steve
SirDave

Post by SirDave »

I bet Steve doesn't have one of these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ivan-the-Terrib ... 1525968477?
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

SirDave wrote:I bet Steve doesn't have one of these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ivan-the-Terrib ... 1525968477?

of course not
just another modified computer
:P

TransGender Regards
Steve
Carl Bicknell

Post by Carl Bicknell »

Well the Tasc R30 went for €1710.

Unfortunately for me I didn't get it, but if someone wants to sell and fancies that kind of money...I'm on the hunt.
Larry

Post by Larry »

Carl Bicknell wrote:Well the Tasc R30 went for €1710.
I thought the buyer got that one for a pretty good price, considering
the recent Vancouver TM went for almost twice that.
L
BlackSails911

Fair Market value for this auction

Post by BlackSails911 »

Hello All,

Just a quick question if you have the time. What is the fair market value for this auction:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-MINT-Mephi ... SS:US:3160

Vancouver 16 bit, Exclusive board looks quite nice. It might be an original German version, I can't tell

Thanks for your help!

Roger
Sargon1972

Post by Sargon1972 »

Hello Roger ,

Yes it is a original one :) mine guess 450-600 Euro is the value
Sometimes price,s go crazy on Ebay so u never know 8)
Good luck

Kr,Hans
Hello
I am from Netherlands and many years involved with computerchess
It,s a way of life i suppose :p

Kr,Hans
Carl Bicknell

Post by Carl Bicknell »

My guess would be £700, so convert that into dollars...

But if you really want it you might have to go up a bit
BlackSails911

Market Value

Post by BlackSails911 »

Thanks, he listed it for $650 US dollars and he got zero bids the first time around. I guess I should have jumped on it!
Carl Bicknell

Re: Market Value

Post by Carl Bicknell »

BlackSails911 wrote:Thanks, he listed it for $650 US dollars and he got zero bids the first time around. I guess I should have jumped on it!
I own this model.

It's a worthy opponent. It plays good chess with a "clean" style. It's book is large and its endgame - by the standards of its opponents - is above average.

Tactically it's competent, but not as strong as the Saitek Master (still available on ebay).

The board is big enough to play on.

You'll have a lot of fun.
BlackSails911

Post by BlackSails911 »

Thanks Carl, I did win a Saitek Mephisto Master about a month ago (I assume that is what you called a Saitek Master). It seems pretty strong although the plastic board is not fun to play on. I assume this would play at about the same level? I usually set it for 40 moves in 3 hrs and play it while doing other things.
Carl Bicknell

Post by Carl Bicknell »

BlackSails911 wrote:Thanks Carl, I did win a Saitek Mephisto Master about a month ago (I assume that is what you called a Saitek Master). It seems pretty strong although the plastic board is not fun to play on. I assume this would play at about the same level? I usually set it for 40 moves in 3 hrs and play it while doing other things.

The plastic board on the Mephisto Master is truly horrible. I always use a tournament board next to it and transfer the moves across when I want a game.
The Exclusive board on the Vancouver is much nicer, it's not full tournament size, but you can use it.

In terms of strength: the Vancouver is stronger in all departments of the game except in sharp positions where the Fritz program on the fast processor gives the Master an edge.

Overall the Vancouver is about 50 elo stronger and has a more natural / positional playing style.
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Carl Bicknell wrote:
BlackSails911 wrote: It seems pretty strong although the plastic board is not fun to play on.

The plastic board on the Mephisto Master is truly horrible. I always use a tournament board next to it and transfer the moves across when I want a game.
And Yet ..there are some anarchists amongst us who actually prefer plastic boards to wooden boards
the ring leader of this extremist group can be found by carefully reviewing his nickname

Wood Vs. Plastic Regards
Steve
Monsieur Plastique

Post by Monsieur Plastique »

Thanks so much for the introduction Steve. And for the months of December and January only, I am offering free counselling to any HIARCS forum members who are have difficulties with plastic. Whether it be small plastic portable boards, big plastic boards or even the worst affliction of all: Plastiphobia. No one needs to go through this alone.

PS: I've been playing against my Chessmaster Gameboy for the last 5 hours using a wooden board and pieces. I am flexible and proud of it. But not as flexible as the wonderful plastics out there.
Chess is like painting the Mona Lisa whilst walking through a minefield.