Mephisto Module IV error

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
cakepanda

Mephisto Module IV error

Post by cakepanda »

Hello
I am hoping somebody can please help. I have just bought a Mephisto Exclusive with the MMIV module from ebay Germany.
When I power it on, the display only shows Err5 which is not in the manual.

I have tried pressing both resent buttons. It came with a generic power adapter, and I have also tried another regulated adapter at both 7.5v and 9v with the same effect.

I have cleaned the module and board contacts, and tried the module in all 3 of the board connections. All of the reeds seem to work and light the corresponding LED. I have also checked the ribbon cable which appears to be in good order.

I imagine that the module is at fault. Does anybody have any experience of this error??

Many thanks, Mark
xchessg

Re: Mephisto Module IV error

Post by xchessg »

cakepanda wrote:Hello
I am hoping somebody can please help. I have just bought a Mephisto Exclusive with the MMIV module from ebay Germany.
When I power it on, the display only shows Err5 which is not in the manual.

I have tried pressing both resent buttons. It came with a generic power adapter, and I have also tried another regulated adapter at both 7.5v and 9v with the same effect.

I have cleaned the module and board contacts, and tried the module in all 3 of the board connections. All of the reeds seem to work and light the corresponding LED. I have also checked the ribbon cable which appears to be in good order.

I imagine that the module is at fault. Does anybody have any experience of this error??

Many thanks, Mark
Hi,

The chance is high that it's an eprom error. Open the cpu module, and have a look at the eprom: Is it well fitted? Have all of the eprom legs contact? It may also be that eprom's content is gone, in that case just try to acquire a further eprom (they appear regurarly on ebay) to fit that into the module replacing the empty one.

So far for the ROM as source for the error. RAM can also be the source, in which case you'll might need professional assistance.

I'm betting that your exclusive parcel receiced a rough treatment during transport which caused the eprom to get unstuck.

Hope this helps

Xavier
cakepanda

Post by cakepanda »

Xavier, thank you very much for your help. I have looked at the Eprom and it is correctly seated.
I have since ordered another Module on ebay so am keeping fingers crossed this one works!
pr1uk

Post by pr1uk »

cakepanda wrote:Xavier, thank you very much for your help. I have looked at the Eprom and it is correctly seated.
I have since ordered another Module on ebay so am keeping fingers crossed this one works!
Hi,
Out of interest did you get another module and did it resolve the problem
King Performance Chess Computer M830