Vintage Chess Computers for sale on Ebay from HOS

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Larry

Post by Larry »

Reinfeld wrote:Man - that Montreux fetched a pretty penny. Must be the newness. Too rich for my blood.

- R.
And it seems it does not even include an original box, but a risc2500 box.
I wonder if the new owner is aware of this. :shock:
Is the owner's manual also risc2500? :shock:
L
Monsieur Plastique

Post by Monsieur Plastique »

I guess this shows what people are prepared to pay to time travel :wink:
Chess is like painting the Mona Lisa whilst walking through a minefield.
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Larry wrote:
Reinfeld wrote:Man - that Montreux fetched a pretty penny. Must be the newness. Too rich for my blood.

- R.
L
Where do you see photos of the box?
I only see one photo of the computer itself
must be that browser issue we had with another auction..
one browser showed 8 photos and another only 1

anyway...the auction text says it has its original box
IF it were true that the Montreux was sold with a Risc 2500 box..well..that changes everything
a mismatched box situation such as that would have shaved hundreds of dollars off of the final price ..if we now add insult to injury and surmise that the manual is also not an original Montreux.. well we are talking a final price of well below what it sold for...perhaps not even breaking $1000

Breaking Bad Regards
Steve
Larry

Post by Larry »

Steve B wrote:
Larry wrote:

- R.
L

IF it were true that the Montreux was sold with a Risc 2500 box..well..that changes everything
a mismatched box situation such as that would have shaved hundreds of dollars off of the final price ..if we now add insult to injury and surmise that the manual is also not an original Montreux.. well we are talking a final price of well below what it sold for...perhaps not even breaking $1000

Breaking Bad Regards
Steve
Here is the text from the HOS guy on the first page of this thread..
Minor error to the list I posted. We have "Mephisto Montreux" 's in our Kasparov RISC 2500 boxes. I haven't had time to in depth research it yet but they appear to be very similar. We'll be listing one on Sunday as well as a Novag Super Expert 96k. Unquote
No mention of an owner,s manual at all. High price for just board and pieces.
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Larry wrote: And it seems it does not even include an original box, but a risc2500 box.
L
Steve B wrote:

Breaking Bad Regards
Steve
Larry wrote:
Minor error to the list I posted. We have "Mephisto Montreux" 's in our Kasparov RISC 2500 boxes. I haven't had time to in depth research it yet but they appear to be very similar. We'll be listing one on Sunday as well as a Novag Super Expert 96k. Unquote
Thanks
strange they didn't change the auction text knowing the box was the wrong one
here is what the auction said about the box right up until the auction ended
Quote...

It has been kept in its original box for all of those years in a smoke-free environment, away from sunlight and other things that could damage the finish..

End Quote

Not Good Regards
Steve
Terry McCracken

Post by Terry McCracken »

Steve B wrote:
Larry wrote: And it seems it does not even include an original box, but a risc2500 box.
L
Steve B wrote:

Breaking Bad Regards
Steve
Larry wrote:
Thanks
strange they didn't change the auction text knowing the box was the wrong one
here is what the auction said about the box right up until the auction ended
Quote...

It has been kept in its original box for all of those years in a smoke-free environment, away from sunlight and other things that could damage the finish..

End Quote

Not Good Regards
Steve
I'm sure it doesn't mind, Steve. 8)

Time Capsule Regards,
Terry McCracken
Brian B

Post by Brian B »

[/quote]
No mention of an owner,s manual at all. High price for just board and pieces.[/quote]

I think what we are seeing with these auctions is a positive bias due to the reputation of HOS with chess products. In fact, we are learning that HOS doesn't have any special knowledge of these computers other than what they are learning here, nor a thorough understanding of the expectations of a typical dedicated chess computer collector. It does seem like the auction detail about the box was a big miss. That said, I think a simple phone call would answer questions on any particular auction. They were very helpful, and accurate, when I called about other auctions.

Important Details Regards,
Brian B