mephisto atlanta

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Queegmeister

please explain excalibur kingmaster price

Post by Queegmeister »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Excalibur-King- ... 1478096330

the link is for a kingmaster 3 now at 132.00
I don't understand , last I saw these sold from 10 - 30 dollars and should

baffling regards
Dr. Q
Only he who never plays, never loses
SirDave

Post by SirDave »

In the end eBay pricing is all about both what the market will bear and supply and demand (ie. in this case, there appears to be more than one individual that wants the Kingmaster 3).

However, IMO, there are also other factors going on here. One is that it is a New-In-Box which is particularly attractive to buyers these days in general (since new dedicated chess boards are becoming less available) and more specifically because it is near Christmas (ie. perhaps a gift). The other is that, from what I'm seeing, fewer and fewer interesting/attractive dedicated boards are showing up on eBay these days (except for an upward, perhaps short-lived, blip of classic wood boards) and with that, going prices are rising.
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

7Chessfan7 wrote:Reinfeld the strongest battery-operated dedicated chess computer (at 40 moves/2 hours) ever manufactured was the Saitek Galileo or Renaissance with the Sparc module ( Turnier evaluation-2246 ELO Rating, SSDF evaluation-2223 ELO Rating) not the Mephisto Atlanta (20 MHz) (Turnier evaluation-2183 ELO Rating, SSDF evaluation-2184 ELO Rating). The Mephisto Atlanta is only stronger than the Saitek Galileo or Renaissance with the Sparc module at faster time control limits.
Sorry 7C7
the Sparc module will not work with batteries..you must use an adaptor
other modules for the Saitek boards can run on batteries but not the Sparc

also the Sparc module can also be used in the Leonardo board as well as the Galileo and Renaissance

Not So Ever Ready Regards
Stevw
Reinfeld

Post by Reinfeld »

I was going to say I exclude modules when talking dedicateds (entirely my bias), but Steve jumped in to save the hypothesis from a more fundamental angle.

Battery-operated regards,

- R.
"You have, let us say, a promising politician, a rising artist that you wish to destroy. Dagger or bomb are archaic and unreliable - but teach him, inoculate him with chess."
– H.G. Wells
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

7Chessfan7 wrote:Thanks Steve for the information that the Saitek Sparc module does not operate on batteries. I read on some website that the Saitek Leonardo chess computer is not compatible with the Sparc module. Maybe the website made an error in that regard.
Actually it is compatible
the Sparc manual even mentions it can be played in the Leonardo, however the board would need some sort of minor adjustment to accept the module
something to do with an "EMI PCB"
this adjustment is mentioned in an addendum to the manual
the price of the Sparc module included a free upgrade of the board when sent to the dealer

Sparkling Regards
Steve