Your Country Needs You!

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Reinfeld

Post by Reinfeld »

Apologies for the belated response, Nick. I wanted to think a little, and distractions got in the way over the past few days. Here's what feels like the core of the discussion
The underlying point still feels right to me, however. A dedicated that matches moves less than 80 percent of the time with a dedicated of roughly equal strength doesn't feel like a clone.

- R.
Your statement would be acceptable for clones but for identifying same programmers it is not that simple and not really correct in all cases. Take the Horvath Test post for example that I posted and compare Test Game 1 Style 9 with Legend to the standard out of the box style 5. There are 17 move deviations out of 34 moves. That would make it a similarity of 50% coming out of the exact same computer by just changing the style. Based on your comments you would discount it as an absolute certainty that style 9 is a different programmer to style 5.
I had posted these tests so that people can get a complete picture of the difficulty of these discussions.

- Nick
I take your point re clones v programmers. I spoke too broadly. But I still wonder. Some stray thoughts:

1. With respect to identifying clones, it seems to me that five factors matter, in descending order of relevance:

a. documentation/records (programmer is plainly identified)
b. moves
c. features/housing (not always decisive, but important)
d. Mhz/processing power (not always decisive, but important)
e. chess strength/rating (the least important factor in terms of similarity, because different programmers can reach similar levels of strength)

The original tests you ran on the GK 2100 variants are still the starting point for me when I think about these things. In that scenario, there was little doubt that Morsch was the programmer in question. The genesis/origin of RS 2250XL
was part of your inquiry, and you sought to determine whether it was a GK 2100 variant. You concluded that it was not. Later debate in this forum established (with some disagreement) that 2250 XL is indeed a Morsch machine, though not a direct GK 2100 variant. Its closest relative might be the TC 2100, if memory serves (I still can't find the final tallies from the rating-test thread.)

The difference with the Horvath/Nelson/Excalibur debate is a comparative lack of documentation. Only the Legend/Regency models have the clear Horvath stamp. The Excaliburs, like the Radio Shacks, suffer from limited documentation, which leaves the void and creates the speculative magnet Steve has mentioned.

2. The Excalibur models seem to come in three feature sets. I'm listing them from what appears to be weakest to strongest:

a. The 73-level models (King Arthur, Einstein and others)
b. The 136-level models (Ivan II, Alexandra, others)
c. The 100-level models (GM, Igor, Ivan, Mirage)

I can't find documentation for Avenger, so I don't know what the feature set entails. Others (here and on talkchess) say it's the handheld version of GM, and attribute it to Horvath.

Most of this debate surrounds the origins of the 100-level models, which are clearly the strongest players. There seems to be less interest in identifying the programmer(s) of the weaker models.

3. The 100-level Excalibur models bear more than a passing resemblance to the known Horvath models (Legend/Regency).

Nick suggests that the "tuneability" of the Excalibur models makes it harder to spot clones and identical programmers, and adds that tuning will make a dedicated behave and move very differently. I agree to a point, but it's also clear that we're looking at default settings. When I play Igor in these tests, I change nothing but time controls. Same goes for Legend. I assume that's true when Nick performs his tests.

Under those conditions, Legend and Igor/Mirage/GM (on default settings) are playing very different games. I admit it's hard to know, but is tuning the sole cause for this - or is it possible that different programmers are at work?

- R.
"You have, let us say, a promising politician, a rising artist that you wish to destroy. Dagger or bomb are archaic and unreliable - but teach him, inoculate him with chess."
– H.G. Wells
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Hi Reinfeld,

Thanks for the detailed response.

1) I am quite sure that the Morsch discussions will come up again when we start testing them again in more details. With regards to Morsch the tests that I ran on my page where aimed at identifying true clones and trying to justify the separation of RS2250XL in any rating list, as well as any others that show sufficient move variation to justify separation. At that time RS2250XL was considered by many as a GK2100 or Brute Force clone and it clearly seemed to me that it was not exactly the same, which the tests then clarified. With RS2250XL however there was never a doubt about it's Morsch heritage. At that time there was a strong possibility that it would be lumped together in rating lists with GK2100 and I was hoping that I could avoid this fate for it.

2) Regarding the Horvath's CXG Legend, CXG Concerto, CXG Accolade, Excalibur Legend II, Krypton/Systema Challenge, Krypton/Systema Regency and Excalibur Avenger. These new tests at Level 23 (30 seconds fixed time tests) are showing that even in Horvath standard settings that these computers are not necessarily 100% clones of each other as previously thought. In fact there seems to be a clear separation that repeats itself which seems to be based on year of origin. You can almost separate them as follows:

Version 1 1992 = CXG Legend + CXG Concerto + CXG Accolade (Accolade needs to be confirmed by someone who has one).

Version 2a 1993 = Excalibur Legend

Version 2b 1995 = Krypton/Systema Challenge + Krypton/Systema Regency (Regency needs to be confirmed by someone).

Version 3 1996 = Excalibur Avenger

The differences between 2a and 2b run at around 97% therefore these may be lumped together more easily than the rest. CXG Legend and CXG Concerto are 100%.

3) If you agree with the documented timeline of the CSS report and there is no reason for anyone to doubt the accuracy since that report was written at the time when these computers came out and the owner of the product was interviewed. You can clearly discern that Krypton (Eric White) owned Mirage and Legend III, Avenger and Ivan. That's very simple and irrefutably documented by the report. This btw also 100% matches Mike Watter's timeline reports on his website and our acknowledged historian Hein Veldhuis. Having said all this, this also makes it 100% impossible that Ron Nelson was the programmer for any of the above mentioned computers (without even having to question his ability to program a H8 chess program further). But we already know that Gyula Horvath was the programmer with the one exception Mirage which because of the Excalibur connection is placed into dispute and for two reasons only:

i) You have people that seem to champion Ron Nelson for Igor and Grandmaster (with sadly absolutely zero evidence) and hence they refuse to acknowledge the documented factual timeline.
ii) There really are differences in Mirage's moves when compared to the above mentioned Horvath's which we can all see clearly by these tests. However if you align the computers next to each other you will also see that these end up being the same few moves ie in game 1 4. ... e5 5. d4 10. d4 and 12. d4 that create the mystery. Every other move all these computers have the ability to repeat when aligned next to each other.

4) Similarities. Moving the program aside for a minute. Everything with Igor/Ivan and GM alludes to the Krypton heritage. The Teach mode stems from Krypton. 100 Levels comes from there. ROM & RAM and Processor is identical. Even the greeting when you turn on the computer has a similarity. Krypton says "Hello" Excalibur says "Chess" = 5 letters. "Chess" is almost ridiculous as a greeting since we just bought a chess computer and it plays nothing else but chess. But assume you have to put something there and "Hello" would show true origin of another possible clone, then changing to "Chess" would make sense if removal of this field were not possible without corrupting the program. In summary absolutely everything other than removal of play styles is Krypton.

5) If you accept that Mirage, Avenger and Ivan originate from Krypton based on the documented writings, and if you accept the absolute fact that Mirage at level 23 is 99% percent identical to Igor at level 22, then of course it stands to reason that all these Excalibur computers come from a Krypton origin. There cannot be anything else that can possible confuse this fact.

6) For the programs themselves there can be two possibilities.

a) It is a Horvath originating from Legend/Concerto/Accolade (timeline) that is highly configurable (100,000,000,000,000 possible play style settings make this a strong possibility) which over time starting from Legend has been changed in the Krypton house by someone (if not Horvath himself) to result in all these different versions.
b) Another programmer was engaged to create a whole new different program.

Both these options are possible but my tendency is to lean towards option a) for obvious commercial reasons. It does not cost much at all to have someone in Levy's team play around in the settings of a proven highly configurable program especially when they have access to the program code to make whatever changes easily possible and thereby leave the integrity ie 100 levels etc the same.
b) Engaging a new programmer who then takes all the Horvath's base settings ie. 100 identical levels, "Hello" and writes a new engine to paste into the gap, makes no sense and costs too much. Option a) costs almost nothing.

Best regards

ps regarding all the other Excalibur's, all these will be tested in time. It just takes time to do all that.
Nick
mclane

Post by mclane »

Igor Gm is not horvath.

Horvath is challenger, regency, avenger etc.

It's clearly a different program. It does NOT show search depth
Only move and evaluation.

Igor and Gm show NO information while computing. They show it when it's humans computation time, but it interrupts permanent brain.

Horvath can be identified by the passive playing style, the lack of search depth and the hello when you switch it on.

The Excalibur programs showing search depth during computation, and Evals and move e.g. Like Einstein wizard and this self moving machine
Seem not related to Igor / Gm.
Igor and Gm are also stronger than the Einstein wizard programs.

But Igor Gm play a strange chess.

So we have 3 different programs, beside the morsch and Kittinger clones there are

Igor / Gm. Have permanent brain.
Horvath machines, have permanent brain.
Einstein wizard etc.(have no permanent brain)
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....
Reinfeld

Post by Reinfeld »

You have people that seem to champion Ron Nelson for Igor and Grandmaster (with sadly absolutely zero evidence)
That's much too strong. Steve has said repeatedly that Nelson told him directly that he (Nelson) programmed *all* the Excaliburs.

Like it or not, that's evidence. Nick doesn't *believe* Nelson's statement (I assume he grants that Steve heard it). That's not zero evidence - it's evidence Nick *disputes* on technical grounds, i.e., Nelson's programming history doesn't fit. He adds the Horvath/Krypton Excalibur history, which is *also* evidence.

Let's try this sub-question to clear up some of the fog:

1. Is there any doubt that the Excalibur Legend II is a Horvath machine?

This is really where it starts. The answer is almost certainly no - no doubt. The features are the same as the Legend/Regency/CXG models. The manual is a dead lift. The programming history (documented) is plain. The Roman numeral makes sense. The moves of Legend 2 and Krypton Challenge track very closely in the tests.

That suggests at least one Excalibur machine that *isn't* Nelson, which undercuts Nelson's statement that he programmed "all" the Excaliburs.

The same holds true for the strongest dedicated with an Excalibur label: the Karpov Grandmaster, which lifts Kittinger's Novag Emerald Classic. Surely this is undisputed.

In short, it's a demonstrable fact that Nelson didn't program *all* the dedicateds with Excalibur labels. His statement to Steve is inaccurate; ergo, it's unreasonable to accept Nelson's word as gospel in this context.

The debate is narrowing to Igor/GM/Mirage, where testing is showing significant differences from the Horvath group. Nick is still leaning Horvath, suggesting that tuning alone could account for the differences. Thorsten does not agree (he also contends that Avenger is a Horvath.)

I'm not sold yet that Igor/GM are Horvath machines, and I'm not yet persuaded by Nick's argument that tuning alone accounts for the differences. That's a bit too easy. More testing seems warranted.

- R.
"You have, let us say, a promising politician, a rising artist that you wish to destroy. Dagger or bomb are archaic and unreliable - but teach him, inoculate him with chess."
– H.G. Wells
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Reinfeld wrote:
You have people that seem to champion Ron Nelson for Igor and Grandmaster (with sadly absolutely zero evidence)
That's much too strong. Steve has said repeatedly that Nelson told him directly that he (Nelson) programmed *all* the Excaliburs.
To be clear ill repeat again ...I asked him specifically about the GM\Mirage
and he replied that he programmed all Excaliburs
obviously if I asked him about the Karpov he would not say that as it was obviously a Kittinger

ill repeat a theory I have that I was once mentioned
its a theory and nothing more

as I posted before ...around 1991 Nelson and Samole invested heavily in CXG and were part owners of the Company
This was around the time of the release of the Fidelity Travel Master..again I have no proof of this other than what he told me
he also mentioned the dollar amount of the investment (which I will not mention) he added that he lost all of it
I theorize that Nelsons programming hand influenced CXG computers from about 1990 onward..which might account for similarities in features/options for CXG(and their rebadged computers) and Excalibur's
I know i cant prove what i was told...but i put it out there again for the more "opened minded" amongst us
some will find my "back in the day" first person experiences as interesting "Inside Baseball" type of recollections
while others will scoff at these posts and wipe them away with a flip of the wrist as unprovable gibberish or even made up lies

Whatever
either way I will continue to post my remberences ..when somewhat relevant to the topic at hand

We Are All Charlie Regards
Steve
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Steve B wrote:
Reinfeld wrote:
To be clear ill repeat again ...I asked him specifically about the GM\Mirage
and he replied that he programmed all Excaliburs
obviously if I asked him about the Karpov he would not say that as it was obviously a Kittinger

ill repeat a theory I have that I was once mentioned
its a theory and nothing more

as I posted before ...around 1991 Nelson and Samole invested heavily in CXG and were part owners of the Company
This was around the time of the release of the Fidelity Travel Master..again I have no proof of this other than what he told me
he also mentioned the dollar amount of the investment (which I will not mention) he added that he lost all of it
I theorize that Nelsons programming hand influenced CXG computers from about 1990 onward..which might account for similarities in features/options for CXG(and their rebadged computers) and Excalibur's
I know i cant prove what i was told...but i put it out there again for the more "opened minded" amongst us
some will find my "back in the day" first person experiences as interesting "Inside Baseball" type of recollections
while others will scoff at these posts and wipe them away with a flip of the wrist as unprovable gibberish or even made up lies

Whatever
either way I will continue to post my remberences ..when somewhat relevant to the topic at hand

We Are All Charlie Regards
Steve
We need to get a few things cleared up here. The whole forum supports a theory in favor of Nelson based on the continuous posts in other topics and posts, therefore for Reinfeld to single out Steve with my supposed harsh comment is crazy.

I have never disputed Steve's conversations with Ron Nelson, what I have disputed is Ron Nelson's accuracy in the responses Steve has received or the accuracy of the interpretation of Ron Nelson's comments to Steve. Steve if I recall contacted Ron Nelson regarding a problem he had with E-Chess or an LCD Chess and this resulted in a conversation between them. Ron Nelson's comment that he programs all computers in the Year 2002 based on an E-Chess timeline may well be correct, albeit it still does not make him the author of the actual chess program used.

However based on a 1996 timeline his statement would be incorrect. So you have to look at it in a context of when he was asked as well. Now Steve mentions the question was specifically asked on Mirage and Igor. And here I still question Ron Nelsons accuracy with his response because the timeline says otherwise and we are talking about a direct conflict with the owner of Krypton where the computers came from. They did not come from CXG!! In fact if you read the 1996 report you will see that in that year CXG also started distributing chess computers independent of Krypton. Eric White was no longer the owner of CXG, he had liquidated the company. Someone else now owned CXG.

But again Mirage, Ivan, Avenger and Legend III came from Krypton and not CXG. There is a big difference!

Steve's insight about the 1992 investment into CXG does not surprise me at all and fits into the business ethics and practices of that period. Remember that Nelson was still an employee of Mephisto and probably under confidentiality and covered under a non-compete clause. Same confidentiality and non compete clause probably applied to Samole as well. Unless of course Mephisto's lawyers were totally inept, which could also be possible. It also explained why he did absolutely nothing while under Mephisto's payroll.

The program used for Alexandra's, E-Chess, LCD chess etc had to come from somewhere. This also places a Danielsen and other CXG Programmers clearly back into the picture for program origin for the rest of Excalibur's computers.

Best regards
Nick
Fluppio

Post by Fluppio »

Interesting article from Hein Veldhuis about the CXG/Krypton/Systema/Excalibur involvement.

http://www.schaakcomputers.nl/hein_veld ... mation.pdf

It's in dutch and german, but you can use Google translate.

So all chess computers from Eric White and David Levy were built in Hongkong or China with different labels. So it's obvious that they often have the same look and the same/nearly similar programs.

Of course it could be possible that Excalibur had only contracts for a few of their models and Nelson or an unknown programmer is responsible for Igor/GM etc.

A few months ago I did a parallel game with Regency and Igor.

Regency: 12 sec/move (H8 with 10MHz)
Igor: 10 sec/move (H8 with 12 MHz)

If the programs would be clones or nearly the same, they had to produce the same moves. As you can see, Igor often chooses other moves.

Fluppio - Regency+Igor
1.f4 d5 2.Sf3 g6 3.g3 Lg7 4.Lg2 Sf6 5.0–0 c5 Igor 0–0 opening library, Regency is thinking 6.e3 Lg4 Igor 0–0 7.h3 Lf5 Igor Lxf3 8.d3 Sc6 Igor 0–0 9.Sbd2 Sb4 Igor 0–0 10.a3 Sc6 11.g4 Ld7 Igor Le6 12.c3 0–0 13.De2 Db6 14.Se5 Sxe5 Igor Le6 15.fxe5 Se8 16.Lxd5 e6 Igor Tad8 17.Lg2 Lc6 18.Sc4 Dc7 19.Lxc6 Dxc6 Igor bxc6!!!! strange 20.b4 Tc8 Igor cxb4 21.Ld2 b5 22.Sa5 Dd7 Igor Dd5 23.Tad1 cxb4 24.axb4 Lxe5 25.d4 Lg7 Igor Lc7 26.e4 a6 27.Sb3 Dc6 Igor Sd6 28.Sc5 Sc7 29.Lf4 Tfe8 Igor Tfd8 30.Df3 Tf8 Igor f7-f6 31.Ta1 Ta8 32.Tfd1 Tfc8 33.d5 exd5 34.exd5 Df6 Igor De8 35.d6 Se6 36.Sxe6 Dxe6 Igor Dxc3 37.Te1 Dd7 38.Te7 Dd8 Igor Dc6 39.Lg5 Db6+ Igor Df8 40.Le3 Dxe3+ 41.Dxe3 Lxc3 42.Tf1 Lxb4 43.Df4 Lc5+ 44.Kh1 f5 45.De5 Ld4 46.Dxd4 fxg4 47.Dg7# 1–0

All these differences are tunings on a Horvath program?
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Hi Peter,

You are not showing anything new. Every test I have posted shows the same differences. I am not hiding anything here. It's the Nelson fixation that is disappointing and frustrating and doesn't match anything, especially not Hans-Peter Ketterling's reports.

How about you running Sensory Voice or other Nelsons through the same game you just posted at 3 minutes per move, 3.20 minutes per move and even the next level 6 minutes per move and lets see the differences. Pick what ever level you want, I don't care and come and post.

Mirage is from Krypton. Nelson is not Krypton.
Nick
Fluppio

Post by Fluppio »

Hi Nick,

I would like to do a parallel match with Regency/Challenge or Regency/Legend, just to see if the moves are close or not. But have to get another Horvath first.

Old Nelson progs: Hmm, I have a Sensory Voice and a Voice, can test these too.

I think the whole thread is an interesting investigation.
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

mclane wrote:Igor Gm is not horvath.

Horvath is challenger, regency, avenger etc.

It's clearly a different program. It does NOT show search depth
Only move and evaluation.

Igor and Gm show NO information while computing. They show it when it's humans computation time, but it interrupts permanent brain.

Horvath can be identified by the passive playing style, the lack of search depth and the hello when you switch it on.

The Excalibur programs showing search depth during computation, and Evals and move e.g. Like Einstein wizard and this self moving machine
Seem not related to Igor / Gm.
Igor and Gm are also stronger than the Einstein wizard programs.

But Igor Gm play a strange chess.

So we have 3 different programs, beside the morsch and Kittinger clones there are

Igor / Gm. Have permanent brain.
Horvath machines, have permanent brain.
Einstein wizard etc.(have no permanent brain)
I agree mostly Thorsten. Regarding search depth, both Horvath's and Ivan/Igor however show analysis from the perspective of the computer irrespective if computer is playing white or black. This part of how it evaluates remains the same.

Regards
Nick
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Fluppio wrote:Hi Nick,

I would like to do a parallel match with Regency/Challenge or Regency/Legend, just to see if the moves are close or not. But have to get another Horvath first.

Old Nelson progs: Hmm, I have a Sensory Voice and a Voice, can test these too.

I think the whole thread is an interesting investigation.
Hi Peter,

If you have a Regency (mine does not function correctly, take back button sticks) then all you have to do is replay games 1 and 2 at level 23 to compare with the other computers until such a time that you buy another one.

Best regards
Nick
mclane

Post by mclane »

Reinfeld wrote:

Like it or not, that's evidence. Nick doesn't *believe* Nelson's statement (I assume he grants that Steve heard it). That's not zero evidence - it's evidence Nick *disputes* on technical grounds, i.e., Nelson's programming history doesn't fit. He adds the Horvath/Krypton Excalibur history, which is *also* evidence.

Let's try this sub-question to clear up some of the fog:

1. Is there any doubt that the Excalibur Legend II is a Horvath machine?

This is really where it starts. The answer is almost certainly no - no doubt. The features are the same as the Legend/Regency/CXG models. The manual is a dead lift. The programming history (documented) is plain. The Roman numeral makes sense. The moves of Legend 2 and Krypton Challenge track very closely in the tests.

That suggests at least one Excalibur machine that *isn't* Nelson, which undercuts Nelson's statement that he programmed "all" the Excaliburs.

The same holds true for the strongest dedicated with an Excalibur label: the Karpov Grandmaster, which lifts Kittinger's Novag Emerald Classic. Surely this is undisputed.

In short, it's a demonstrable fact that Nelson didn't program *all* the dedicateds with Excalibur labels. His statement to Steve is inaccurate; ergo, it's unreasonable to accept Nelson's word as gospel in this context.

The debate is narrowing to Igor/GM/Mirage, where testing is showing significant differences from the Horvath group. Nick is still leaning Horvath, suggesting that tuning alone could account for the differences. Thorsten does not agree (he also contends that Avenger is a Horvath.)

I'm not sold yet that Igor/GM are Horvath machines, and I'm not yet persuaded by Nick's argument that tuning alone accounts for the differences. That's a bit too easy. More testing seems warranted.

- R.
It's not possible to tune horvath program so that it plays like Igor/Gm
Because imo Igor/ Gm is stronger than horvath. Horvath plays nicer, more positional but also passive.

Imo Nelson maybe exaggerated, or made the fish bigger than it was.
I could imagine he made Igor/Gm or hired somebody to transfer his old sensory voice code into h8 CPUs.
We don't know what Nelson meant.
But of course he had nothing to do with the kittinger and maybe also nothing with horvath.

And then We have Einstein and phantom force programs.
They are weaker than horvath, weaker than Igor/Gm.
Imo this is another programmer.

Or the engine runs on a slower cpu. But much slower. E.g. The Einstein wizard runs very very long with 2 batteries. Amazingly long. It cannot have a h8 cpu.
I am doing tournament games. They last 5 hours or more. And I have never changed the batteries. Also it uses only 2 batteries ! That would mean the hardware runs on only 3 V !!! All the others use 4 batteries to get at least 6 v.
Most motherboards run on 5 v.

I believe Nelson exaggerated towards Steve. But I also don't think he said 100% the wrong facts.
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

HI Thorsten,

Many years ago I played Igor, Ivan, Legend 2 and Regency at 2hrs 40 against each other. After the score was 2-2 for everyone of the computers that played against each other, I gave up. That Igor and Ivan have a different style I agree with you. That they are stronger than Regency or Legend 2. I have not seen that at all. At 40/2 hours both Igor and Ivan should have come out better because of their 12 MHz. In the actual 2hrs/40 games that I played this potential advantage was not seen.

Therefore I continue to believe that their play strength remains pretty much identical. A good test would be to play Igor, GM, Mirage & Ivan and Legend, Legend II & Challenge/Regency in a league at level 22 and 23 where everyone plays everyone twice or 4 times to see how it comes out.

Best regards
Nick
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Here is an update of the scores from all currently tested computers:

For the new additions, I have only included their current strongest style setting. This might change later to a different setting as I post more Test Games.

Mephisto Montreaux remains best tested computer.

Best regards
Nick
Larry

Post by Larry »

Sorry to picky, guys, but it's "Montreux", not "Montreaux"
L