Nelson again

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Monsieur Plastique

Post by Monsieur Plastique »

Steve B wrote:n the article Fischer mentions his recent 3 game match against the Greenblatt program and his recent purchase of the CC1
Great reading!
Chess is like painting the Mona Lisa whilst walking through a minefield.
IanO

Post by IanO »

Fluppio wrote:Hi Nick,

i agree with you that the old Z80 program fe from Sensory Voice is too weak to bring it up to 1800+ ELO with a H8 processor. There must be some changes and new program routines in the Igor/GM.

As Steve always said, Nelson himself claims for programming these chess Computers from Excalibur. Therefore it's natural that Nelson is mentioned as the programmer. If it's true? I don't know too. But in my opinion it is clear that Igor/GM are not HORVATH programs. They Play totally different, with deep tactic search.

Horvath? His programs are more positional and very bad in tactical tests. I will do the Colditz test with Regency, too compare it with the Igor - done by Ian in the other Nelson thread.

Danielsen? He made only 4K an 16K programs in the eighties. These are often used in computers from Lexibook and of course Kryton/Systema/CXG. The 16K program has max. 1600 ELO.

Kittinger? Of course not. Excalibur Karpov is the only one.

Morsch? Never heard he is involved in Excalibur programs.

Taylor? His programs are too weak and they have a selective search, nothing tactical.

Rathsman? His last work was the Plymate Victoria in 89/90. Although his programs are strong in tactical tests like Igor/GM, I don't think this could match.

Donninger? He worked for David Levy, but in an interview he said his only work was the Tiger Grenadier.

So, is it Nelson or an unknown programmer?

Regards
Peter
The most obvious solution just hit me like a brick through a window.
  • derived program stronger than original
  • anonymous attribution
  • product names Ivan and Igor
The only possible conclusion is...

...THE DECEMBERISTS!!! :twisted:

So not only have we solved the Horvath mystery, we have also found the mysterious origin of Igorrit, Ippolitto, Robolitto, and everything that followed.

IGORrit Regards,
Ian