You have got to watch this!!

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Bryan Whitby

You have got to watch this!!

Post by Bryan Whitby »

An amazing German documentary about Peter Auge and his life in Hong Kong plus rare video clips of the Novag production line.
I know that it will be very frustrating if you don't understand German but besides the chess side to this video it gives you a great insight into what life was like in Hong Kong back then.
Please watch the whole video but if your a bit squeamish there are a couple of scenes that might upset you like frogs being skinned and gutted while still alive!
Sweatshop regards
Bryan

http://youtu.be/AIvNdvAzJpU
ifekali

Post by ifekali »

He's showing a Robot Adversary there in the early segment ...

Broken, of course.

-Izmet
Mike Watters

Post by Mike Watters »

Good stuff Bryan. Recommended.

For those who don't want to watch the whole hour and a half -

Robot Adversary at 14 minutes. Looks like the real thing but possibly an early prototype? Not yet working (floppy arm) but Auge was I assume talking about freight costs to France. It was another two years before the Robot was actually released for sale.

Savant at 1.18.20 working with screen. The first time I have seen a working one. But is it faulty?

Not sure the RSPCA and Chinese would have been on friendly terms.

Thanks very much Bryan
Mike
Bryan Whitby

Post by Bryan Whitby »

Hi Mike
Though you would like it, the whole video is very interesting.
I know where the Novag office was in Hong Kong but its really good to see what it was like back then.
The one part of the video that made me laugh was when the knocking off buzzer went off and there was a mass stampede to clock off.
I don't think the savant was faulty as it appears to be playing ok on auto play.
Also very impressed with the soldering techniques of the female production workers.
Regards
Bryan
Cyberchess

Post by Cyberchess »

Hello Bryan:

:) I thoroughly enjoyed this vintage gem from start to finish. Here’s a link to the article Scisy and Novag: The Early Years.
The early LCD unit that Peter Auge was testing was released by both SciSys and Novag – despite the parting of ways with Mr. Winkler. Novag wouldn’t release another unit featuring an LCD chessboard for almost two decades.

Nostalgic regards,
John
Bryan Whitby

Post by Bryan Whitby »

Hi John
Glad you liked it.
Yes I have read the Auge/Winkler article before on Mike's site. What makes Mike's site so good is the vast amount of interesting reading available on it instead of just a photo gallery site.
Here' another favourite site of mine. http://chess-computer.blogspot.co.uk
Regards
Bryan