Getting started in chess: DGT board vs Mephisto Exclusive

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
mrcdoc

Re: Getting started in chess DGT board vs Mephisto Exclusive

Post by mrcdoc »

pearlofbag wrote:Hi everyone. I have found that about 4 hours after being up I am so tired and sleepy that all I can do is relax in recliner fir a while. Is that normal??
It depends of how long was your night... and if you snore or not :)
Maybe you play too much during the night and a ...
Little more rest DocAdvice,

Maurice
pr1uk

Re: Getting started in chess: DGT board vs Mephisto Exclusiv

Post by pr1uk »

kf6vci wrote:Hi All

I'm a beginner and would fancy a game without the laptop or pc. For that I am looking to buy a long-lasting computer, not some toy made in China. Would the Mephisto Exclusive be a good choice? As a beginner, I don't care about the modules' ELO numbers :) But I would like to have a board which is compatible to the Revelation module :wink:
Would the use of a DGT board make sense? I don't have a chess partner and would like to practice and learn...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and suggestions!
Chris[/b]
The Mephisto Exclusive is a wonderful board to play on the DGT looks also a great board too but so expensive. If all down to you and the money your willing or can afford to pay i have the Mephisto Exclusive with the MIV module and it's far better then i am. Having said that i also got a very cheap RFT Chess-Master and had a lot of fun with that look on eBay there are always something up for sale and if you can play with plastic pieces on a plastic board there are some great ones about. As for ELO ratings believe me there are a lot out there who will always want the top rated ones but will never ever get near the potential of the game. Go ahead buy something and enjoy a game in 3D nothing better then bending over the chess board and moving the pieces manually. Enjoy and please let us know what you buy in the end if you do decide to buy.

Peter
King Performance Chess Computer M830
Wardy

Post by Wardy »

I'm lucky enough to have both a DGT Board and an Exclusive board, if I could only have one I'd keep the DGT board for the following reasons

Much easier to set up positions to analyse
Much wider choice of chess engines, different styles, different strengths
Along with that it's the same with opening books
DGT board is larger
You can connect a RaspberryPi to the DGT board with either Gavon or Picochess and still have a "dedicated" experience
Support is there should you need it

I love playing both don't get me wrong, either will give you years of chess fun.
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Just so you guys know
you are replying to a thread almost 2 years old
the thread was brought to the top when someone posted an off-topic post to it

always check the dates regards
Steve
pr1uk

Post by pr1uk »

Well said Steve i never noticed DOH

Peter