About Ivan the Conqueror Rating.

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

Come on, chess arrogance is the last of my sins. 9 of ten post of mine about my games reports my defeats. If i win once, let me then to say crushed..
Festina Lente
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

Which is the reason you give so much importance to a mere idiomatic turn?
You looks too serious and this place is mainly to take things humorously.

crushed regards
Fern
Festina Lente
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Well I think when win you slapped him around, crushed, smashed and shamed him and then finally you put him right back into it's box with a "that'll teach you" last remark. Anything less than 500 moves is convincing! :P

You go ahead and crush em Fern!
Nick
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

spacious_mind wrote:Well I think when win you slapped him around, crushed, smashed and shamed him and then finally you put him right back into it's box with a "that'll teach you" last remark. Anything less than 500 moves is convincing! :P

Yes!!!
A friendly soul at last....

...but in the meantime still being beaten by Expert travel....

Fern
Festina Lente
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Fernando wrote:
spacious_mind wrote:Well I think when win you slapped him around, crushed, smashed and shamed him and then finally you put him right back into it's box with a "that'll teach you" last remark. Anything less than 500 moves is convincing! :P

Yes!!!

Fern
I have a trick for you for Expert Travel. Set up the fun level and then change it to whatever level you prefer ie. tournament level. And, you will have a great chance to win some games !

Best regards
Nick
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

spacious_mind wrote:
Fernando wrote:

Yes!!!

Fern
I have a trick for you for Expert Travel. Set up the fun level and then change it to whatever level you prefer ie. tournament level. And, you will have a great chance to win some games !

Best regards
No no no no, no tricks...
I will tune myself eventually. I have realized that what happens is that once I have advantage, i lose half my concentration and multitask.
Festina Lente
SirDave

Post by SirDave »

For me, it's not just a (top-level) plastic portable such as the Expert that cuts me down to size: I took my Novag Jade II on a flight to Canada and it messed with my mind for the entire trip!

I agree with you Fern (& Nick) above. There's no definition that I know of that determines when one crushes a chess board. Anytime one feels like they have played one of their best games and have beaten a board at a given level that they usual don't win at, then they can say they have crushed the damn thing!

It's All Relative Regards,
Dave
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

7Chessfan7 wrote:A player can win a game against another player in 40 or 50 moves and play his best chess or nearly his best chess, but just because he played his best chess or nearly his best chess and played a beautiful game does not mean that he ''crushed'' his opponent. I have read articles reviewing chess games that lasted about 40-50 moves in which the writer described the winner as having ''crushed'' his opponent which is a ludicrous assertion by the writer.
What looks like you still do not understand is that nobody talk seriously here all the wording about crushing, but you...It is just an idiomatic figure, nothing more, a way to express our happiness, an exaggeration coming from so many games we lose to the machines.
In other words, it is not necessary to give us a lesson in linguistic protocols...

Fern
Festina Lente
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

7Chessfan7 wrote:I understand that many of the members on this website are being humorous when they use the word ''crushed'' in referring to games in which they defeated opponents convincingly. But what you fail to realize is that there is a very worrisome trend in our world in which people throw around words so loosely as if if they are non-chalantly tossing a frisbee, that the significance or importance of those words has been degraded. Many people have the attitude that language does not matter. Nothing could be further from the truth. A perfect example is the nausea-inducing misuse and overuse of the word ''issue'' as an inappropriate substitution for the actual word ''problem''. The misapplication of the word ''issue'' has become so extensive in our society today that the word ''problem'' has almost vanished from the English lexicon. People's problems have been trivialized by the misuse of the word ''issue''. The late great comedienne George Carlin in his comedy concerts was absolutely right when he criticized people's misuse of words.
My dear friend, I realize very well all that. It happens I am a writer with 16 books published, so it could be said that i have some familiarity with language, his uses, etc.
Now, IN THIS place, where humor is very abundant as you can grasp if you follow almost any thread, words are tools not only to communicate information about machines but also to get fun.
In fact, all here knows that when we get a victory over a machine, it has been always after long fight, a difficult proposition, something almost miraculous. For that very reason we make the joke of talking of a crushing defeat of the machine.
Respect the use of language in US and everywhere, yes, every age develops some ways of seeing and saying the world which distort the reality sometimes in very high degree.
There is in all that a doses of pedantry, laziness and what not.

a hug
Fern
Festina Lente
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

7Chessfan7 wrote:It is very important that language not be degraded by misuse of words. One of the irrefutable signs of the decay and decline of any society is the misuse and misapplication of words.
Well, do not worry so much. This place is not that important to contribute to the decay and fall of the Roman Empire.
Festina Lente
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

7Chessfan7 wrote:No, but it does contribute in its' own small way to the overall decline of our society. As George Carlin so eloquently stated, as humans we get to watch the freak show in our world and in the U.S.A. people get a front-row seat! Interesting that you mention that you are a writer of books. One of the most disturbing trends in our world is the increasing sloppiness in editing at book publishing houses, not just in terms of spelling errors, but also in terms of factual errors in books.
Well, as much you insist in this semantic and semiotic side of this business, let me say that to qualify a chess victory as "crushing" is not a mistake, an error, a bad use of language, but, if you want, a literary one, a rhetoric tool to enhance the power of a sentence.
An error has to do with a distorted description of a fact; a qualification trough an additive is not. In fact is very objective; is telling us the impression that this or that fact caused in the mind of the people that describe it. If you take off those tools, communication would becomes very poor indeed.
You must distinguish in the different realms of communication that exist and his legitimate ways to communicate. In the realm of science, essays, etc, you must be cautious in the used of every word; in the real of social intercourse associated at sheer fun, what matter is to get fun trough the known methods of exaggeration, metaphor, sarcasm, irony, etc.
Festina Lente
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

7Chessfan7 wrote:As the old expression goes, ''Tell me something i don't know''. You are not very observant. I clearly stated in my earlier comment that i recognize that many of the members of this website are attempting to be humorous when they misuse the word ''crushed'' in describing a chess game win. You keep repeating yourself, harping unnecessarily on that fact. I am also fully aware of the difference between fact and opinion. I am also fully aware of the use of metaphor, irony, sarcasm, etc., in speech and writing. I must point out that I did not mention before the numerous spelling errors you have made in your comments because I was being kind in not pointing them out. But since you insist on trying to demonstrate your vast knowledge of language, may i suggest that you might find it very useful to consult a dictionary from time-to-time. For example, the plural of the word ''post'' is ''posts'' not ''post''. i could point out other spelling errors you make in your comments but that one example should suffice to illustrate the point.

Letting aside the fact that you deploy a harsh tone and an attitude of giving lessons, of lecturing, which does not correspond to the spirit of this place, let me inform you that English IS NOT my native language, so clearly I write it with mistakes, not to mention the fact I write here fast, without much worry about committing mistakes. Respect my observation skill, a capability that you say I lack, you should take a look at what it is said about me under the photo: I live in Santiago, Chile, I am Chilean, so my native language is Spanish. You did not "observe" that and fired a tirade about my English faults.
BTW I would like to know where I did a show of my "vast Knowledge" in languages. Certainly I can speak, write - not 100% correct- about 5 idioms, besides mine. Mine I dominate enough to write books, be a columnist of one of the two more important newspaper of my country and so and so. I suppose I have some right to say it, though you believed I was saying I was a polyglot. Anyway a native of any of those idioms I can handle could say the same as you did: that I commit mistakes, etc. Nevertheless, I am doing this for years, people understand what I say -with you, so it seems, as an exception- and in a way or another I can handle matters.
Respect my reiterations, well, you must repeat a tenet if the other side insist in not understanding it.
To put an end to this, to the kind of thread I do not expect to find here, the sheer fact that you came to make a noisy blast about the use of the word "crushing" give a dubious signal about your criteria with respect to what matter or not in a place, about what must be taken into account and what not.
I have not desire of a flame war with you.
I ask you to leave all the thing as it is and forget the full "issue".

Fern
Festina Lente
SirDave

Post by SirDave »

Well, just for giggles, let's examine this subject a little more closely.

First of all, I commend you (7Chessfan7) for your concern over (what appears to be) the subject of the decline in the expression of the English language including the misuse of certain words and poor spelling, punctuation and sentence structure. It bothers me that 'loose' is used instead of 'lose' or that 'good' is constantly used as an adverb. I am particularly concerned about the replacement of the appropriate expression of written English with 'text-speak'.

However, you have picked the wrong forum in which to express your concern, the wrong person to criticize and the wrong context for your opinion on the misuse of the term 'crush'.

First of all, isn't it rather unfair to be arguing the semantics of the 'King's English' with someone from a non-English-speaking country (though, in this case, the person expresses himself in English better than a lot of people who speak English as a primary language)? And couldn't it be considered to be, at the very least, poor sportsmanship to be pointing out spelling errors under that circumstance? I'm dismayed!

Second, it was pointed out more than once that the word 'crush' was used in a humorous context because it is perhaps the most important point of the subject at hand. Once it is explained that the semantics stem from humour, then the attempt to argue the use or misuse of the semantics as if we are in a grade school English class becomes irrelevant.

Finally, I would agree that the use of the word 'crush' by the winner when a chess match has been won marginally over a human opponent in a chess tournament might be considered to be puffery and arrogance, but in the present case, the opponent was a machine and this wasn't a chess tournament.

Back to the Collegial Discussion of Chess and Chess Boards Regards,
Dave
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

We really should put our preference towards the enjoyment, friendship and humor in this forum. What does it matter if the odd word is used or misused to emphasize a point in a posters topic or discussion. As for grammar, I happily admit that I type in real-time and therefore I do not prepare a topic in a MS Word document and then run it through a spell check for correctness or grammar. So ya'all <----- inappropriate I am sure -- I really don't care about grammatical correctness as I'd much rather post as it comes to mind. I also prefer the same from other posters to allow me to not only read but feel the other person's true thought process. I will leave the Pulitzer prize to someone else to win.

I applaud Fernando for his English and other language skills as I know very well with similar experience how hard it is to be multilingual and to stay actual and in practice, especially the older you get.

Best regards
Nick
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

a good conclusion to this thread which i have now locked

please feel free to continue this discussion in the "any other business "forum
which is better suited for topics having nothing to do with chess... http://hiarcs.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7107

Moderating Regards
Steve