SuperConnie Revisited

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

SuperConnie Revisited

Post by Fernando »

Time that I did not played SC, even being one of my favorites. I like his style, i like his presentation. It is NOT stronger that even some Excalibur machines, BUT it has a lot more interesting playing attitude. Some times your eyes pop out facing some of its moves. And if you indulge that way of playing and go yourself to a dynamic, combination-attacking chess, some incredible games can happens.
I have had a game where he -or she?- sacrificed the queen to get at me If do not sacrifice at once my rook, which i did. It was a game like those boxing matches with both guys exchanging awful strikes....
A pleasure..

Fern
Festina Lente
Larry

Re: SuperConnie Revisited

Post by Larry »

Fernando wrote:Time that I did not played SC, even being one of my favorites. I like his style, i like his presentation. It is NOT stronger that even some Excalibur machines, BUT it has a lot more interesting playing attitude. Some times your eyes pop out facing some of its moves. And if you indulge that way of playing and go yourself to a dynamic, combination-attacking chess, some incredible games can happens.
I have had a game where he -or she?- sacrificed the queen to get at me If do not sacrifice at once my rook, which i did. It was a game like those boxing matches with both guys exchanging awful strikes....
A pleasure..

Fern
Well this talk of the Super Connie playing style brings back memories of
when I opened up my brand new Super Connie in the year 1984. Until then
I had owned a couple of chess comps, but their moves were dry and
predictable. The SC moves came as a shock, some moves ordinary but
others a slap in the face to the hapless human who was assuming a quick
kill. I remember setting up mate in x positions and being taken aback by
the fast solving times. These were the days before personal computers, so
computers like SC would have been used to cheat at postal chess.
Also, the SC ran on the humble 6502 processor, meaning it ran at a snail's
pace compared to later processors. Fine programming by Dave Kittinger.
L
mclane

Post by mclane »

The question is IMO what did Novag with the program in later years.
We know the program came into the constellation expert in its marvelous wooden case.
But then ?
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

mclane wrote:The question is IMO what did Novag with the program in later years.
We know the program came into the constellation expert in its marvelous wooden case.
But then ?
I do not know, but I DO know this: in the very moment you have some advantage in material and position, SC will strike back and even defeat you in a sequence of 6 moves or so.
It is incredible the resourceful it is....

crushing SC against a wall regards
Fern
Festina Lente