Optimizing engine strength vs strange results....

You can discuss all aspects of programming and technical matters here.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Watchman

vaporizer

Optimizing engine strength vs strange results....

Post by vaporizer »

Normally for years,I have been using Shredder 11 UCI to load all my engines and Hiarcs.I figured,after all these years,i'll try a new UCI with more bells and whistles.So when I got the DVD through the mail(Komodo 8 for multiprocessors),it took me a while to get use to it,and it came with everything it seems that I needed and tons more options.I loaded my Hiarcs in it and several engines,including houdini 4,stockfish(latest version) and of course,Komodo.

In Komodo,i'll set my engine hash to 4096 which is the maximum safe allowable hash for my 8GB system.But if I click on "optimize strength"under level of play...Komodo UCI actually lowers the 4096 that I manually placed in
to the engine settings to a lower hash level like 4026.That is kind of weird to me!

I'm still learning to circumnavigate this new Komodo UCI,but,why it would lower my hash like that,I do not know.So what I am doing now is simply plugging in 4096 and NOT pressing optimize!Whether that is a "weaker"thing to do or not,I do not know.

Again,i'm no pro tweaker on these engines and UCI's,but i'm better than some players on these issues,i'm sure.
vaporizer

Post by vaporizer »

So,I would like someone else to plug in 4096 in their engine strength hash and make sure its clicked in as 4096 hash.Now,go back and press "optimize strength"in the engine parameters and check the new hash level after you return to your chess board and THEN check the hash level one more time.Has it been automatically reduced lower than 4096?No,yes?

Mine reduces to 4026.Strange indeed.
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Post by Harvey Williamson »

in the fritz gui's which is what you are talking about after you have optimized right click on the engine pane then click properties and now set the hash to 4096 again - this usually works.