Using opening books in HCE

Get your specific HIARCS/Junior support questions answered here as well as up-to-the-minute news!

Moderators: Watchman, Mark Uniacke, mrudolf

Jeremy

Using opening books in HCE

Post by Jeremy »

I have been trying for months to work out how, when using an imported chess engine either to play against or in an engine match, I can get it to access and use either the in-built Hiarcs opening book, or another imported opening book (in cfg format). The help on this does not seem to help (me), and, in brief, I can't get any imported engine to use any opening book. I am quite ready to acknowledge that I am being stupid over this, but can anyone help explain, simply please, how to do this? Thanks in advance.
Mark Uniacke
Hiarcs Author

Post by Mark Uniacke »

Other engines normally have their own opening books (there is a OwnBook engine option). You will need to follow the instructions of the engine you have chosen.

HIARCS books are not accessible to other engines.
Best wishes,
Mark

https://www.hiarcs.com
vaporizer

Post by vaporizer »

Mark,

When you mentioned above..."HIARCS books are not accessible to other engines,"what exactly do you mean by that?

I have the Komodo8 as well as Shredder 11.Both use the fritz and deep fritz interfaces.Using all 3 of my regular engines(Komodo8 64bit,Stockfish6 64 and Houdini 4x 64 I have installed the newest Hiarcs 14m book both in my Shredder 11 as well as Komodo8 UCI.So the hiarcs IS accessible to all my engines that are NOT Hiarcs engines.

Perhaps I am misunderstanding your statement?
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Post by Harvey Williamson »

vaporizer wrote:Mark,

When you mentioned above..."HIARCS books are not accessible to other engines,"what exactly do you mean by that?

I have the Komodo8 as well as Shredder 11.Both use the fritz and deep fritz interfaces.Using all 3 of my regular engines(Komodo8 64bit,Stockfish6 64 and Houdini 4x 64 I have installed the newest Hiarcs 14m book both in my Shredder 11 as well as Komodo8 UCI.So the hiarcs IS accessible to all my engines that are NOT Hiarcs engines.

Perhaps I am misunderstanding your statement?
Mark is talking about Hiarcs internal books supplied with or for uci Hiarcs engines not ctg versions of the book that can be used in Chessbase GUIs with any engine.