Golden times for chess computers

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
dedicate computers

Golden times for chess computers

Post by dedicate computers »

I'd like to share my thoughts about the programmers of each company, Fidelity, Saitek, Novag, Mephisto. Analyzing the styles of each machine, various models, I have observed that these programmers left his style.
The several models manufactured by Fidelity, Par Excellence, Designer 2000, Designer 2100 and Elites series, my opinion that the programs were not redrawn the programs. I assume there were technological implementations against each model released. Another relevant issue, is concerning the evolution of processors, from 8-bit to 32-bit, with very high frequencies for that golden times, making them very competitive.

For of Fidelity´s models, unless corrected, developers gave more emphasis to bishops, unlike knights. At least is what is shown when I play with the machines of fidelity. In summary, a Designer 2000 with processor 68040, would have a rating of 2200 or more or not? Chess I think is speed!
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

I was thinking something similar today.
I believe each programmer has one and just one great idea that in time he just refine, develop and give to it the advantage of faster hardware.
Spracklen couple created the paradigm of Sargon and every program after that is a enhancement of the same thing, though of course that enhancement is such that we could also say that the original idea becomes a different animal.
Kittinger developed his essential idea with Mychess and everything after that is a enormous development of his original view of chess programming.
Same can be said of every programmer.
What is Fritz 12 or 13 but a development of Fritz 1?

Fern
Festina Lente
dedicate computers

Fritz 1 to Fritz 13

Post by dedicate computers »

Fernando,

I think you're absolutely right, what would Fritz 13 case there were no Fritz 1?
JeffB

Post by JeffB »

That's a normal part of software evolution: Create a program that works, then refine it over time.

Only a major breakthrough or paradigm shift would require a complete redesign. Faster hardware and wider bus widths also help, but a refinement in software will often have a larger effect than increased hardware capabilities. (That's the reason that hardware speed and power are abstracted out of software runtime analysis.)
Cheers,

Jeff B.