Super Vip and UCB

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
dedicate computers

Super Vip and UCB

Post by dedicate computers »

I have a question, Novag Super Vip works with Universal Chess Board, as far as I know, the answer is positive, but in my UCB the leds do not light up when Super Vip sends the moves to the board (UCB), could someone help me?
JeffB

Post by JeffB »

Hi -

[Edit: Senior moment... please ignore my other edits!]

I may be able to help, but I need a little more info:

Has this combination ever worked properly?
Does the computer register the moves?
Do you have another Super System computer to test that the UCB works properly?
Are you running with the power adapter plugged into the UCB and the power extension cable running from the UCB to the VIP?
Is the Super VIP connected directly to the UCB, or does it go through a Distributor?
Cheers,

Jeff B.
dedicate computers

Super Vip

JeffB wrote:Hi -

[Edit: Senior moment... please ignore my other edits!]

I may be able to help, but I need a little more info:

Has this combination ever worked properly?
Does the computer register the moves?
Do you have another Super System computer to test that the UCB works properly?
Are you running with the power adapter plugged into the UCB and the power extension cable running from the UCB to the VIP?
Is the Super VIP connected directly to the UCB, or does it go through a Distributor?
Hello,
thank you for help me.
Yes, the computer register the moves
I dont have another Super System, but with Sapphire, all is fine;
I use power extension plugged into the UCB and power power extension cable running from the UCB to the VIP;
Yes, super Vip is connected directly to the UCB, but also connected through a Distributor!
Regards
JeffB

Post by JeffB »

Hi -

I'm not sure how much I can help, but I will try.

Is the power into the UCB either a Novag 8210 or a strong-enough equivalent (9VDC, 300mA+)?

I should be able to dig my Super VIP out of storage on Thursday and try it with my UCB. (I generally use the Sapphire with the UCB.)

Regards,

Jeff
Cheers,

Jeff B.
dedicate computers

JeffB wrote:Hi -

I'm not sure how much I can help, but I will try.

Is the power into the UCB either a Novag 8210 or a strong-enough equivalent (9VDC, 300mA+)?

I should be able to dig my Super VIP out of storage on Thursday and try it with my UCB. (I generally use the Sapphire with the UCB.)

Regards,

Jeff
Well, the usual would be lit leds of the UCB when I turn on the Super Vip at UCB, the example of what occurs when I connect the Sapphire at UCB
JeffB

Post by JeffB »

Here are the results of my investigation, and what I want to do next. My setup used all Novag equipment with a direct connection from the UCB to the Super VIP.

TESTS AND RESEARCH

1) Two Super VIPs did not work with the UCB. If I play the opening move, say e2-e4, the board itself registers the move, but the Super VIP does not display the move nor does it use the LEDs to indicate its reply, which leads me to believe the computer is not seeing the move.

2) A Sapphire II worked fine, no problems at all.

3) Investigation shows that the Super VIP has a baud rate choice of 1200 or 9600 baud, while the Sapphire II uses 57600 (according to Novag's instructions document for connecting to a PC).

PRELIMINARY CONCLUSION

I believe we have a baud rate mismatch that's causing the Super VIP to be unable to properly connect to the UCB. I can find no indication that the UCB has an "autobaud" feature, which would allow it to adapt to any computer.

NEXT STEPS

1) I will connect the Super VIP to a computer through an oscilloscope to see if I'm getting good communication and, if so, at what baud rate. (This will likely have to wait until next week or later, due to time commitments.)

I've heard of other people having problems getting Super System setups to work properly. I wonder if they also had a Super VIP, and if their symptoms were the same.

Do these tests and results differ from your observations?
Cheers,

Jeff B.
dedicate computers

The Sapphire II protocol

It's confusing the Novag. The record that I have, Sapphire II protocol uses standard serial port parameters to send and receive 8-bit ASCII at 9600 bits per second. It remains to wire a special connector to attach to the Sapphire II.
JeffB

Post by JeffB »

My Sapphire II manual does not list the serial port settings, so I went by the Novag instructions for connecting Novag computers to a PC.

I don't need a special cable to connect the Sapphire II, just the cable that came with the UCB. If the Sapphire II is communicating at 9600, it may be possible that the Super VIP is trying to communicate at 1200, which is one of the tests I want to run. (I can't find a way to adjust the baud rate unless the VIP recognizes that it's connected to the Super System. This is very frustrating, because it means that I can't confirm the setting either.)

Yes, there is definitely some confusion in these Novags. Unfortunately, their documentation is not as helpful or complete as it should have been.
Cheers,

Jeff B.
dedicate computers

bauds and bauds 9600 or 1200 bauds

The fact is that Universal Chess Board works with 9600 baud, so compatibility would be 9600 baud UCB with Sapphire that also works with 9600 Baud. In contrast, when there is need of different transmission baud, Novag has a software that makes the interface between different bauds. I have heard that a person has the UCB that connects directly with the Super Vip, means that perhaps would have developed Novag UCB to work with these two speeds? Anyway, I think you and I are not going to solve the problem, we would need to hear other opinions, what do you think?