Who does this web site being to

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Bryan Whitby

Who does this web site being to

Post by Bryan Whitby »

For years I have visited this excellent web site and only noticed the other day that there was a message on it's home page saying that it closed last year.
Does anyone know who it belongs to, as I am sure that I used to know but can't remember!

http://electronicchess.free.fr/index-UK.html
Steve B
Site Admin

Re: Who does this web site being to

Post by Steve B »

Chessmaster Ireland wrote:For years I have visited this excellent web site and only noticed the other day that there was a message on it's home page saying that it closed last year.
Does anyone know who it belongs to, as I am sure that I used to know but can't remember!

i dont think the site ever mentioned the owners name
at least i could never find a section on his site that had any personal info
he used to sell the chess computers on his site after playing with them for awhile so i guess he must have had an email link there for interested buyers
perhaps some members here purchased a computer or two from him and they can supply his contact info

Another One Bites The Dust Regards
Steve
Last edited by Steve B on Mon May 25, 2015 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bryan Whitby

Post by Bryan Whitby »

Yes when I saw the closed notice I was surprised that there weren't any for sale because as you say, he did offer quite a few computers over the years.
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

Chessmaster Ireland wrote:Yes when I saw the closed notice I was surprised that there weren't any for sale because as you say, he did offer quite a few computers over the years.
Sometimes simply happens that the guy in charge dies. We tend to forget that life in the Intenet is ubiquitous, but not eternal..

From the grave regards
fern
Festina Lente
IvenGO

Re: Who does this web site being to

Post by IvenGO »

Chessmaster Ireland wrote: Does anyone know who it belongs to, as I am sure that I used to know but can't remember!

Jean-Bernard Hentz
pr1uk

Post by pr1uk »

A site i have often used so like others i wonder what as happened would have been nice if the latest news had said why the site is now closed

Peter
King Performance Chess Computer M830
Bryan Whitby

Post by Bryan Whitby »

Thanks IvenGo.
Someone else emailed me with his name and no Fern he hasn't died just hasn't much time for chess anymore.
Bryan
Mike Watters

Post by Mike Watters »

Being anonymous on the web, yet having a website which you have put a lot of work into and attracts plenty of people, seems a bit of a contradiction to me. It is a shame that J-B's website has come to a halt but the information he accumulated is still available to view, which is good.

Mike
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

Chessmaster Ireland wrote:Thanks IvenGo.
Someone else emailed me with his name and no Fern he hasn't died just hasn't much time for chess anymore.
Bryan
Great to know he is OK.
But in any case I was talking in general terms.

From the grave regards
Fern
Festina Lente