Kasparov and thirty years of computer chess

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Ted Summers

Kasparov and thirty years of computer chess

Post by Ted Summers »

Kasparov Games with dedicated systems.
Garry Kasparov wrote:"At some point I realized that I was drifting into trouble in a game against one of the "Kasparov" brand models. If this machine scored a win or even a draw, people would be quick to say that I had thrown the game to get PR for the company, so I had to intensify my efforts. Eventually I found a way to “bluff” the machine with a dubious sacrifice that any modern chess computer would refute in a split-second. But in the good old days of computer chess (to me!) and in my spry youth I could keep coming back to the board fast enough to terrorize the machine with a mating attack."
http://en.chessbase.com/post/kasparov-a ... uter-chess
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience come from bad decisions."
Steve B
Site Admin

Re: Kasparov and thirty years of computer chess

Post by Steve B »

Ted Summers wrote:Kasparov Games with dedicated systems.
Garry Kasparov wrote:"At some point I realized that I was drifting into trouble in a game against one of the "Kasparov" brand models. If this machine scored a win or even a draw, people would be quick to say that I had thrown the game to get PR for the company, so I had to intensify my efforts. Eventually I found a way to “bluff” the machine with a dubious sacrifice that any modern chess computer would refute in a split-second. But in the good old days of computer chess (to me!) and in my spry youth I could keep coming back to the board fast enough to terrorize the machine with a mating attack."

Interesting post Ted
thanks
the dedicated computer Kasparov almost lost to was the TurboStar 432

Several Dedicated computers faced Kasparov in that Simul
Richard Lang himself was operating his program on the PC
I guess this was a version of his WC Amsterdam program

30 Years Ago Regards
Steve
Monsieur Plastique

Post by Monsieur Plastique »

And when look at those games, some were actually relatively tight and the machine was only ground down right near the end. Look at one of the Super Conny games where it does an exchange sac (dubious I have to say but it was the Super Conny).

I don't know if it still applies, but Kasparov used to have a 1900 ELO limit for opponents in "open" simuls. He will obviously face far stronger opponents but the conditions are more rigorous (less total opponents, requires more strict arrangement, etc).

So you might say that even he considers 1900 as the threshold of a serious opponent - and in my experience anyone over 1900 is a pretty darned strong amateur. A lot of these machines have proven over time not be to at that level yet they gave him a lot of headaches when his strength is massively diluted like that.
Chess is like painting the Mona Lisa whilst walking through a minefield.
ricard60

Post by ricard60 »

Steve B wrote:

Interesting post Ted
thanks

30 Years Ago Regards
Steve
In the games listed in the simul there is a machine called Mephisto exclusive S. This is a Mephisto board could it be the Mephisto Glasgow?
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

ricard60 wrote:

In the games listed in the simul there is a machine called Mephisto exclusive S. This is a Mephisto board could it be the Mephisto Glasgow?
Not Sure which machine participated in the Simul
but you are correct in your suspicion
Mephisto released the S modules before the actual 1984 WC held in Glasgow and then after the win(shared 1st place) they re-marketed it as the Exclusive S WC modules
the Exclusive S modules are commonly referred to as the Glasgow modules

Before:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/10261668@ ... 922171154/

After:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/10261668@ ... 922171154/

Its All In A Name Regards
Steve
ricard60

Post by ricard60 »

Steve B wrote:

Interesting post Ted
thanks

30 Years Ago Regards
Steve
Steve, are you sure that Mephisto Amsterdam was in that simul?. In the list of games the only program from Lang is Mephisto Genius.

Something is wrong regards
dedicated chess machines simul
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

ricard60 wrote:
Steve, are you sure that Mephisto Amsterdam was in that simul?. In the list of games the only program from Lang is Mephisto Genius.

Well when i said.. i guess .. i meant the program he was using was probably the program that when on to win the WC in Amsterdam that same year
it might have also been his Psion program which was the co-winner in 1984 in Glasgow
the article mentions the name" Mephisto Genius 68000" but Mephisto didnt sell any of his programs using the Genius name until 1993

Clarifying Regards
Steve
Cyberchess

Post by Cyberchess »

Thanks for posting, Ted!
Steve B wrote:
ricard60 wrote:

Well when i said.. i guess .. i meant the program he was using was probably the program that when on to win the WC in Amsterdam that same year
it might have also been his Psion program which was the co-winner in 1984 in Glasgow
the article mentions the name" Mephisto Genius 68000" but Mephisto didnt sell any of his programs using the Genius name until 1993

Clarifying Regards
Steve
I owned a copy of the old monochrome, DOS-based Psion on my first PC. It was through this program that I had my first taste of Richard Lang’s programming style.

Later, in 1991, a friend sent me a copy of John Stanback’s Zarkov 2.5 for my birthday.
Since this program was noticeably stronger, featured EGA graphics and accepted mouse input, Psion was subsequently relegated to my archives.

Programs Of The Past Regards,
John