Computers Collection

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
chesspcmac

Computers Collection

Post by chesspcmac »

I bought My Revelation II with the idea of selling my other 2 chess computers to compensate for the expense, but I cant... I take a look at them and they are so beautiful to look at and nice to play against them. I dont think I have the money, space and the years to obtain as many computers like Steve but I want to buy some few more. I only have a few computers: Revelation II, Mephisto Munchen Roma, Avant garde version 2, and some fidelity 2000 I think. I have some little change left in my pocket and I want to expand my collection to maybe 8 at the most. Im interested in improving my chess game. Other that a TASC? What computers are a must? is a TASC a must? Your opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Any news about RUDD getting any more engines for revelation II?

I've just bought a Mephisto Academy from Germany, I'll be getting it next week, what kind of adaptor do I need here in the USA? Do you guys like it?

Again, Thanks!!

Obsession regards

Mike
paulwise3

Re: Computers Collection

Post by paulwise3 »

chesspcmac wrote:...
I have some little change left in my pocket and I want to expand my collection to maybe 8 at the most. Im interested in improving my chess game.
Obsession regards

Mike
Hi Mike,

I started to collect november last year, with the intention to collect 10 machines, ranging from 1500 to 2100 elo. But when you are looking around, seeing all the nice machines and different programmers, it is very hard to stop...
Right now I have about 30 machines ranging from 860 to 2160 elo, and still have 2 or 3 on my wish-list...!
Just last week I collected the Mephisto College/Super Mondial II, having a nice study book and extra learning module. If you want to have regular exercise, that could be a good one for you too. On the German wiki-elo-liste it has a rating between 1900-2000 elo. But of course I do not know your current strength.
Note: My College has a German study book. Hopefully there is also an English/US version!

Still learning regards,
Paul.
2024 Special thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12741
2024 Special results and standings: https://schaakcomputers.nl/paul_w/Tourn ... 25_06.html
If I am mistaken, it must be caused by a horizon effect...
chesspcmac

Post by chesspcmac »

Thanks Paulwise for the advice and info. A soon as I posted this message I noticed that not too long ago somebody had asked a very similar question.
This is a nice addiction to have, I cant never get enough reading about these dedicated chess computers. Im still waiting for my Mephisto Acdemy from Germany, DHL service is helpful but sucks!!!! already 9 days in Germany terminal.
By the way guys, Chesscentral.com is having a huge sell for DGT boards, really cheap (if you can call 999 dollars cheap). My friend is playing with the "controversial" GAVON and he loves it!!

Miguel
Dave C

Post by Dave C »

Hi Mike,

Interesting questions. I suppose it depends on your particular interests. Are you looking for the strongest possible chess computers, or the most rare or the most bang-for-the-buck or the most beautiful boards? Various collectors will give you a different list of computers for each of those categories.

Although I am only a mediocre chess player I lean toward fairly powerful chess computers with nice wooden boards, such as: Mephisto Munchen (large) & Exclusive (medium size) boards combined with stronger modules, Fidelity Elite (many versions to choose from), Saitek Renaissance, Leonardo & Galileo, Novag Expert (A,B &C).

If searching for reasonably priced and also powerful units there are a number of powerful chess computers under the Radio Shack name.

In a recent post a contributor made the comment that the new Gavon 2 with its 44+ chess programs may be the best buy available.

Warning: this hobby can quickly morph from fun little activity to addiction. Once hooked - you could end up buying hundreds of chess computers like some of the folks (you know who you are) frequenting these pages...
If you search General Discussions you will find a series of entries where collectors mention the size of their collections with a few exceeding 400 units.

chess computers anonymous regards,
Dave
:oops:
SirDave

Post by SirDave »

SteveB is a major enabler of this addiction. If there was an AA for chess board collectors, there would be a warning to have no communication with the man.

I joined his forum with about 3 boards to my name. Now I have a boatload and most of them I won't be able to beat at their higher levels in my lifetime. But I just love to look at them and dust off their little pieces. :)

You Have Been Warned Regards,
Dave
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Post by Harvey Williamson »

SirDave wrote:If there was an AA for chess board collectors
Dave
Do I need to employ a Collectors Corner Counsellor?

Concerned Regards,
Forum Admin
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

SirDave wrote:SteveB is a major enabler of this addiction.
i shall wear that description as a ...

Badge Of Honor Regards
Steve
Brian B

Re: Computers Collection

Post by Brian B »

chesspcmac wrote:I bought My Revelation II with the idea of selling my other 2 chess computers to compensate for the expense, but I cant... I take a look at them and they are so beautiful to look at and nice to play against them. I dont think I have the money, space and the years to obtain as many computers like Steve but I want to buy some few more. I only have a few computers: Revelation II, Mephisto Munchen Roma, Avant garde version 2, and some fidelity 2000 I think. I have some little change left in my pocket and I want to expand my collection to maybe 8 at the most. Im interested in improving my chess game. Other that a TASC? What computers are a must? is a TASC a must? Your opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Any news about RUDD getting any more engines for revelation II?

I've just bought a Mephisto Academy from Germany, I'll be getting it next week, what kind of adaptor do I need here in the USA? Do you guys like it?

Again, Thanks!!

Obsession regards

Mike
Regarding improving your play, if you haven't already employed the help of a chess coach, you might want to consider it. Some will work with you online, or you may have someone local that can assist you. I began working with GM Akobian this past winter and my game has come up a notch or two.

I have found the Tasc R30 to be a wonderful computer to play against. It has supplanted my Rev II for the space on my desk for several months now.

Also, I am sure that I am not addicted to this hobby as I have no idea how many chess computers I have. In fact, if I just look around the room that I sit in right now, I see only six chess computers occupying table space. So, how bad can it be? No need to look outside this room:)

Dedicated Chess Computers Anonymous Regards,
Brian B
paulwise3

Post by paulwise3 »

chesspcmac wrote:Im still waiting for my Mephisto Acdemy from Germany
Hi Miguel,

Has your Academy arrived yet, and how do you like it's training facilities?
I still did not take the time to study with my College ;-)

Too much excuses for not having to study regards,
Paul.
2024 Special thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12741
2024 Special results and standings: https://schaakcomputers.nl/paul_w/Tourn ... 25_06.html
If I am mistaken, it must be caused by a horizon effect...
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Harvey Williamson wrote:
Dave

Concerned Regards,
Forum Admin
Actually this is a good idea
i cant tell you how many collector's could have benefited from speaking with a "Grief Counselor" after losing an Ebay Auction

Compassionate Regards
Steve
SirDave

Post by SirDave »

Steve B wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:
Dave

Concerned Regards,
Forum Admin
Actually this is a good idea
i cant tell you how many collector's could have benefited from speaking with a "Grief Counselor" after losing an Ebay Auction

Compassionate Regards
Steve
I remember each & every one of them. Not just losing an auction, but not jumping on a great 'Buy Now' right away. Like the one 2 years ago: a brand new Saitek Travel Champion 2080 for $29.99 that appeared at 8pm and I left it overnight. Of course, it was gone in the morning. There's only been 2 or 3 since then and none were anywhere near brand new.

The thing is -I already had one in excellent condition, but I WANTED TWO. Now who is it around here who insists on having more than one of each model?

I Rest My Case Regards,
Dave