Excalibur King Arthur-What chess program?

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Celadus

Excalibur King Arthur-What chess program?

Post by Celadus »

Anyone know what chess program is in the Ex. King Arthur?
Monsieur Plastique

Post by Monsieur Plastique »

It's a relatively early Nelson Excalibur program running on a 6502 I think at 3 Mhz from memory.
Chess is like painting the Mona Lisa whilst walking through a minefield.
Celadus

Post by Celadus »

Monsieur Plastique wrote:It's a relatively early Nelson Excalibur program running on a 6502 I think at 3 Mhz from memory.
Thank You.
paulwise3

Post by paulwise3 »

Monsieur Plastique wrote:It's a relatively early Nelson Excalibur program running on a 6502 I think at 3 Mhz from memory.
Hi, I have the Excalibur Deluxe Electronic Chess, and given the identical appearance, and that the model numbers are the same, I think that the Sabre IV is an exact clone of it. Also, according to the wiki-elo-liste the Chess Station could be a clone of these two. Would you agree? And the King Arthur could also be a new clone of these...

Clone suspicion regards,
Paul
2024 Special thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12741
2024 Special results and standings: https://schaakcomputers.nl/paul_w/Tourn ... 25_06.html
If I am mistaken, it must be caused by a horizon effect...
Monsieur Plastique

paulwise3 wrote:Hi, I have the Excalibur Deluxe Electronic Chess, and given the identical appearance, and that the model numbers are the same, I think that the Sabre IV is an exact clone of it. Also, according to the wiki-elo-liste the Chess Station could be a clone of these two. Would you agree? And the King Arthur could also be a new clone of these...
Yes, all of these machines are basically different versions of the same program running at varying speeds. Nelson would update the program if a new machine came onto the market and the program would have a different version number compared to the last.

The clear delineation in the Nelson Excaliburs occurred when the machines began to contain the proper tournament levels as opposed to the earlier ones that typically might have had 72 levels. It was at this point that the playing strength increased noticeably as they began running on an H8 processor.

But earlier machines like King Arthur, Chess Station, Saber IV, etc are for practical purposes the same type of machine and any variances are more due to which particular software version number of the program they happened to have and what speed processor Nelson elected to use in them.
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

Monsieur Plastique wrote:
paulwise3 wrote:Hi, I have the Excalibur Deluxe Electronic Chess, and given the identical appearance, and that the model numbers are the same, I think that the Sabre IV is an exact clone of it. Also, according to the wiki-elo-liste the Chess Station could be a clone of these two. Would you agree? And the King Arthur could also be a new clone of these...
Yes, all of these machines are basically different versions of the same program running at varying speeds. Nelson would update the program if a new machine came onto the market and the program would have a different version number compared to the last.

The clear delineation in the Nelson Excaliburs occurred when the machines began to contain the proper tournament levels as opposed to the earlier ones that typically might have had 72 levels. It was at this point that the playing strength increased noticeably as they began running on an H8 processor.

But earlier machines like King Arthur, Chess Station, Saber IV, etc are for practical purposes the same type of machine and any variances are more due to which particular software version number of the program they happened to have and what speed processor Nelson elected to use in them.
Of all Excalibur comps created by Nelson, which do you think is the better?

Fern
Festina Lente
SirDave

Post by SirDave »

I think everyone has agreed that it's the Grandmaster.

Tongue-In-Cheek Regards,
Dave
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

SirDave wrote:I think everyone has agreed that it's the Grandmaster.
Well Said!
I Concur Regards
Steve
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

SirDave wrote:I think everyone has agreed that it's the Grandmaster.

Tongue-In-Cheek Regards,
Dave
yeah, but so much has been said about Nelson authorship that I got confused about what he did or not.
And then, after GM?
I guess could be.......Igor?

Fern
Festina Lente
Monsieur Plastique

Fernando wrote:Of all Excalibur comps created by Nelson, which do you think is the better?

I have considered an answer to this question for four days now. And in an effort not to fan the flames of the now infamous Nelson Question, I decline to reply :lol: :lol:
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Fernando wrote:Of all Excalibur comps created by Nelson, which do you think is the better?

I have considered an answer to this question for four days now. And in an effort not to fan the flames of the now infamous Nelson Question, I decline to reply :lol: :lol:
Also Well Said!
Conciliatory Regards
Steve
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

Steve B wrote:

Also Well Said!
Conciliatory Regards
Steve
No no no no....
No conciliation here.
We are searching the truth, not trying to win the Peace Nobel prize.
I believe Monsieur Plastique say such a thing because he thinks a "better program" by Nelson has no sense at all because he never wrote a decent program....

dropping some Gas in the flames regards
Fern
Festina Lente
Monsieur Plastique

Fernando wrote:I believe Monsieur Plastique say such a thing because he thinks a "better program" by Nelson has no sense at all because he never wrote a decent program....
Better is merely a relative term. I am better at running a 100 metres than Usain Bolt with two broken legs dragging a 2 tonne concrete block. And a rusty push-mower is better at mowing a 2 acre overgrown block of land than a pair of scissors...
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

Fernando wrote:I believe Monsieur Plastique say such a thing because he thinks a "better program" by Nelson has no sense at all because he never wrote a decent program....
Better is merely a relative term. I am better at running a 100 metres than Usain Bolt with two broken legs dragging a 2 tonne concrete block. And a rusty push-mower is better at mowing a 2 acre overgrown block of land than a pair of scissors...
You are too semantic to answer...
Reality is...
you does not use terms as best than or better than when in any case the compared thing is as piece of...
To use your own examples, is like to say that a living body of a paraplegic is faster than a dead corpse.
"Faster", there, does not mean a a thing.

shit happens regards
Fern
Festina Lente
Mentat

Post by Mentat »

Fernando wrote:
You are too semantic to answer...
Reality is...
you does not use terms as best than or better than when in any case the compared thing is as piece of...
To use your own examples, is like to say that a living body of a paraplegic is faster than a dead corpse.
"Faster", there, does not mean a a thing.

shit happens regards
Fern
Fern,

let me finish your unfinished sentence that you termed as "too semantic". Well, here we go: Reality is... too complex to comprehend, because you can never tell when a hill stops being a hill and becomes a mountain, or when a glass is fully full or less than full or half empty, etc. The same applies to the Unnamable Nelson Dilemma. Mr Plastique's diplomacy is actually commendable. Regards from 41 Celsius :)

Djordje