Dedicated Chess Computer Test Scores

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
spacious_mind

Dedicated Chess Computer Test Scores

Post by spacious_mind »

This list covers the test scores from dedicated chess computers. Because of all the Gavon and DOS tests that I am also doing at the same time, I have not been able to add too many dedicated chess computers yet.

I am also using this opportunity to test different style settings on dedicated computers which you should find useful if you ever wondered how strong or effective the other styles in your dedicated computer are.

DEDICATED CHESS COMPUTER TEST SCORES

Hopefully this test list of test results will become huge someday covering every dedicated computer. So far only 47 tests have been carried out.

Best regards
Nick
Steve B
Site Admin

Re: Dedicated Chess Computer Test Scores

Post by Steve B »

spacious_mind wrote:
Hopefully this test list of test results will become huge someday covering every dedicated computer.
Thats some goal Nick
to one day own EVERY dedicated computer ever sold
:P

Bucket List Regards
Steve
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Steve B wrote:
spacious_mind wrote:
Hopefully this test list of test results will become huge someday covering every dedicated computer.
Thats some goal Nick
to one day own EVERY dedicated computer ever sold
:P

Bucket List Regards
Steve
Hi Steve,

No my ambition is not set quite that high. I am hoping more that there will volunteers later to fill in the gaps :)

Best regards,
Nick
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Novag Micro Chess just made the list as currently best bottom feeder.

NOVAG MICRO CHESS - 1981

Nivag Micro Chess is an 8 Bit Single Chip Mostek MK3875/42 running at 2 MHz with 4 KB ROM and 64 Byte RAM.

NOVAG MICRO CHESS TEST RESULT

Novag Micro Chess performed 94 points weaker than Fidelity Peri Beta. But having said that, it actually performed well in test game # 4.

TEST GAME 4 RESULTS

It is hard to believe that there are currently 33 chess computer programs that scored worse than Novag Micro Chess in Game 4. Especially when you see Saitek Sparc, Mephisto Vancouver, Mephisto Berlin 68000, Mephisto Roma, Fidelity Mach IIb, Mephisto London, Novag Super Expert, Fidelity Premiere, Sargon 5 and more...

Wow that is quite a few programs that lack the necessary intelligence needed for this test game!

Mystifying regards
Nick
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Here is another oldie from 1986 that completed the test.

FIDELITY SILVER BULLET - 1986

Fidelity Silver Bullet is a Z80 running at 4 MHz with 4 KB ROM and a whopping 256 Byte RAM.

The above picture is me playing it with Novag Micro Chess chess pieces. This particular unit is in mint condition with original pieces still sealed so I really did not want to open them, but of course I wanted to test the computer to make sure it still works.

The below picture from my website shows the correct pieces with the white pieces being silver to match its name.

http://www.spacious-mind.com/html/the_s ... ullet.html

FIDELITY SILVER BULLET TEST RESULT

Well with a score of ELO 1577, Silver Bullet performed better than Novag Micro Chess and currently lies second last in the complete rating list.

Best regards
Nick
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Here is another completed test.

SCISYS EXECUTIVE CHESS - 1981

It has a 2 MHz 8 Bit Single Chip processor with 4 KB ROM and 1 KB RAM.

SCISYS EXECUTIVE CHESS TEST RESULT

Well it finished just ahead of Novag Micro Chess.

Best regards
Nick
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Here are the results of another tested dedicated chess computer:

SAITEK MK 12 TRAINER - 1989

http://www.spacious-mind.com/html/mk_12_trainer.html

Saitek MK 12 Trainer from Julio Kaplan & Craig Barnes is a 1 MHz 6301Y 8 BIT processor with 8 KB ROM and 256 BYTE RAM.

SAITEK MK. 12 TRAINER TEST RESULT

MK 12 Trainer scored 1613 ELO placing it just ahead of Peri Beta.

Best regards
Nick
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Just completed the tests with Saitek Sensor.

SAITEK SENSOR CHESS MODEL 165 - 1991

Saitek Sensor Model 165 is a 1 MHz 6301Y 8 BIT processor with 8 KB ROM and 176 BYTE RAM.

There are a few Sensor versions. This light grey colored one seems to be sold primarily in the UK or Europe. I have not seen it sold in the U.S.

SAITEK SENSOR CHESS MODEL 165 TEST RESULT

Testing this computer became interesting after I completed test game 3 and comparing it to SciSys Executive Chess. When looking closer you can see the lineage albeit different hardware does generate some different moves. SciSys Executive ---> Saitek MK 12 Trainer ---> Saitek Sensor.

They are all Julio Kaplan chess programs for sure.

Best regards
Nick
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

So why do I think they all have the same lineage? Take a look below and you will see it yourself. The hardware is different hence some differences in moves but it is unmistakable.

Julio Kaplan Comparison

Best regards
Nick
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Here are the test results for Excalibur Avenger. It completed the tests with a score of ELO 1950.

EXCALIBUR AVENGER - MODEL 128E - 1995

Excalibur Avenger has a 10 MHz 8 Bit H8/3256 processor with 32 KB ROM and 1 KB RAM and is a Guylah Horvath chess program.

Interestingly the Model # on the back of the computer states Model 128E however the User Manual shows MODEL: 129E / 303E

Could this be a type, either on the manual or on the back of the computer?

EXCALIBUR AVENGER - MODEL 128E TEST RESULT

The computer seems to be the portable version of Krypton Regency. As you can see from the above chart, games 1, 2 and 5 finished with the same score. There however some slight move variations which may be as a result of the average time setting and perhaps some slight built in randomness.

DEDICATED CHESS COMPUTERS RANKING LIST

Below is the complete list of dedicated chess computers that have been tested so far. A total of 53 tests.

Best regards
Nick
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Here are a couple of more dedicated computer test results.

MEPHISTO EUROPA - 1989 - FRANS MORSCH

Mephisto Europa is a Frans Morsch program from 1989. It plays on a 8 MHz Single Chip 6301Y 8 Bit processor with 16 KB ROM and 256 Byte RAM.

http://www.spacious-mind.com/html/europ ... chule.html

Mephisto Europa finished the tests with a score of ELO 1942.

SAITEK BARRACUDA - 1989 - FRANS MORSCH

Saitek Barracuda is also a Frans Morsch program. It came out in 1998. It has an 8 Bit Single Chip SH7000 processor running at 10 MHz with 16 KB ROM and 1 KB RAM.

This computer seems to have been mainly sold in Spain and Portugal.

http://www.spacious-mind.com/html/barracuda.html

SAITEK BARRACUDA TEST RESULT

Saitek Barracuda finished with a test rating of ELO 2048. As shown in the above chart, the chess program seems to be the same one for Saitek Barracuda, Mephisto Montana and Radio Shack Mega 2050X. The minor differences in scores probably resulting from move randomness built into the program.

DEDICATED CHESS COMPUTERS RANKING LIST

Below is the updated Dedicated Chess Computer ranking list.

Best regards
Nick
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

Amazed to see with such high rating Excalibur pieces like Igor, grandmaster, even Ivan......

Fern
Festina Lente
Dave C

Post by Dave C »

spacious_mind wrote: Hopefully this test list of test results will become huge someday covering every dedicated computer.
Yes, a very worthy goal and I hope to contribute when I have time in the future. I've printed out your dedicated chess computer rating lists and use them (along with wiki) for reference when reviewing different dedicated chess computers. I'm glad to have the PC programs listed separately. I have a Gavon2 and like seeing its scores too.

Thanks for spearheading this huge project.
Dave
paulwise3

Post by paulwise3 »

Intriguing to see that the Krypton Regency is 176 points below the Sphinx Legend/Concerto. Not too long ago I got the Krypton Challenge, which with all features set to 20 played the same moves as the Concerto in the game against Hans Böhm!
If I find the time I will do the 5 testgames with it...

Intrigued regards,
Paul
2024 Special thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12741
2024 Special results and standings: https://schaakcomputers.nl/paul_w/Tourn ... 25_06.html
If I am mistaken, it must be caused by a horizon effect...
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

I recently tested Systema Gemini Plus. It has the same manual as Krypton/Systema Alpha, Orion Plus, Chess Express 2-in-1 and Gemini Plus, which should make them all the same as well Excalibur Alpha 2-in-1 and Excalibur Chess Express.

SYSTEM GEMINI PLUS MODEL 129 - 1997 - FRANS MORSCH - DAVID LEVY & MARK TAYLOR

Systema Gemini Plus is a Single Chip - 8 Bit - 2 MHz - 8K X8 ROM - 176 X 8 BYTE RAM computer with 72 Levels of chess and 16 Levels of checkers. It scored ELO 1642 in the Rating Test.

SYSTEMA GEMINI PLUS TEST RESULT

Well it seems to have scored respectably, which makes it not the weakest of computers tested so far.

Best regards
Nick