How do you Store your Collection?

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Dave C

How do you Store your Collection?

Post by Dave C »

Storing my collection of dedicated chess computers was fairly easy when there were between 5 and 10 units. But as the number of units approached 15 storage started to become an issue. Especially as the number of my chess computers with larger wood boards increased past 10. Now that my collection is around 30 units I needed to develop a way to store these units so I could keep them clean and access them easily. I didn't want to box them up and store them in the garage or shed.

I purchased a couple of cabinets with adjustable shelves that were large enough to house my larger boards along with power supplies, chessmen, and instructions. I added a third smaller cabinet that houses my smaller plastic chess computers. My portable units fit in the extra spaces around the larger units. All of these are located in my office at home.

How do you store your collection?

I'll add a couple of pictures when I learn how to add pictures to this post.

Technically challenged regards,
Dave
Steve B
Site Admin

Re: How do you Store your Collection?

Post by Steve B »

Dave C wrote: I didn't want to box them up and store them in the garage or shed.

99.5% of of my computers are boxed up...in their original boxes and in their original packing material
if your collection consists of computers without their boxes you will one day regret not having the boxes because as your collection grows (and hopefully it will grow and grow)storage will become impossible without them ..
not to mention the collectability value of having a complete unit consisting of box,manual and pieces

i have a finished basement and two smaller rooms devoted to storing my computers
the other floors have no computers
if you walked into my house you would get the impression i owned only one computer and that is the one that sits on my desk at that moment
i usually have only one computer at a time actually out and it gets set up on my desk

the cabinet shelf idea is a nice one on paper but you will soon run out of space and so this is really just an interim stop-gap measure
try storing Phantom Robot computers in a filing cabinet..i dont think so

Square Footage Matters Regards
Steve
Last edited by Steve B on Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Monsieur Plastique

Post by Monsieur Plastique »

I simply now have a very substantial (as in business grade) double sided wooden cupboard with three shelf layers. It fits more than you would think though. But I set myself a hard limit. If it cannot fit in there, I don't own it these days. There is now barely enough room for two more machines. Possibly around the same dimensions as the Chess Genius box :)
Chess is like painting the Mona Lisa whilst walking through a minefield.
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

I store all my comps in a wooden high kind of locker -as in gyms- in the second office room I have in my home.
I try to keep all that in order, but entropy gets the high hand and in between the boxes there are electric trasformers, vboxes of pieces, all kind of batteries, rechargers, booklets, cameras, guns, etc
Steven would faint at sight....

Fern
Festina Lente
paulwise3

Post by paulwise3 »

Fernando wrote: Steven would faint at sight....
I am afraid my attic looks about the same, I still have to start organizing my newly gained collection...

Paul
2024 Special thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12741
2024 Special results and standings: https://schaakcomputers.nl/paul_w/Tourn ... 25_06.html
If I am mistaken, it must be caused by a horizon effect...
Dave C

Post by Dave C »

[/quote]

99.5% of of my computers are boxed up...in their original boxes and in their original packing material

i have a finished basement and two smaller rooms devoted to storing my computers

Collections of various sizes must present a variety of issues for collectors. For instance, I can store my wooden boards in two cabinets (each cabinet is 36" wide, 36" high 30" deep with 7 shelves). However, for collections with hundreds of units do you organize them by manufacturer and then by year of manufacture? By size? By type (plastic, wood, strong, portable)? Chronologically - oldest to newest? Alphabetically?

Just curious regards,
Dave
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Dave C wrote:
Collections of various sizes must present a variety of issues for collectors. For instance, I can store my wooden boards in two cabinets (each cabinet is 36" wide, 36" high 30" deep with 7 shelves). However, for collections with hundreds of units do you organize them by manufacturer and then by year of manufacture? By size? By type (plastic, wood, strong, portable)? Chronologically - oldest to newest? Alphabetically?

Just curious regards,
Dave
Basically i separate them by Manufacturer and Size
so all Large wooden boards by Fidelity.. for example ..will be together
medium size wooden boards by Novag together
small plastic Mephisto portables together
Etc..Etc

Separation Anxiety Regards
Steve