Novag Star Sapphire

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Larry

Novag Star Sapphire

Post by Larry »

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/111748277136 ... EBIDX%3AIT

The buyer got this one for a pretty good price, IMO. Was it one
of you guys?
I've got one, otherwise I'd have bid. They are a pain to use, with the
terrible graphics, but quite strong... strongest ever dedicated hand held
chess computer ever made.
L
Cyberchess

Re: Novag Star Sapphire

Post by Cyberchess »

Larry wrote:http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/111748277136 ... EBIDX%3AIT

The buyer got this one for a pretty good price, IMO. Was it one
of you guys?
I've got one, otherwise I'd have bid. They are a pain to use, with the
terrible graphics, but quite strong... strongest ever dedicated hand held
chess computer ever made.
L
:x Yikes!

I’ve owned the Star Diamond, though never took a close look at the Star Sapphire.
Those are by far the worst handheld game graphics I have seen on anything since the 1978 Coleco Electronic Quarterback unit.

Why is it that the SciSys Chess Champion MK V from way back in 1981 had much better graphics than the late model Star Sapphire?

Devolving Regards,
John
Monsieur Plastique

Post by Monsieur Plastique »

Cyberchess wrote:Why is it that the SciSys Chess Champion MK V from way back in 1981 had much better graphics than the late model Star Sapphire?
This wins the HIARCS Sensible Question of the Month Award. No, I don't have an answer. Scisys did it right with the Mark V and portable Executive Chess of the same era, Saitek got it right with the Maestro portable and even today, Powerbrain and particularly Millennium get it right.

I'd wager that apart from the Fidelity Travel Master, the Star Sapphire was one of the most returned chess computers in history. I know this from a distributer who told me as much!
Chess is like painting the Mona Lisa whilst walking through a minefield.
SirDave

Post by SirDave »

That was a good price, but this is a situation where I ask myself why would I get a handheld unit with, by any standard, lousy graphics, when I can use a far superior iTouch or iPhone with Hiarcs?

Dedicated Boards Yes, Old Dedicated Handhelds No, Regards,
Dave
Cyberchess

Post by Cyberchess »

Monsieur Plastique wrote:
Cyberchess wrote:Why is it that the SciSys Chess Champion MK V from way back in 1981 had much better graphics than the late model Star Sapphire?
This wins the HIARCS Sensible Question of the Month Award. No, I don't have an answer. Scisys did it right with the Mark V and portable Executive Chess of the same era, Saitek got it right with the Maestro portable and even today, Powerbrain and particularly Millennium get it right.

I'd wager that apart from the Fidelity Travel Master, the Star Sapphire was one of the most returned chess computers in history. I know this from a distributer who told me as much!
Greetings Jon:

Now that I’ve seen the Star Sapphire up close, I’m really surprised that Peter Auge allowed the unit to go out looking that way. This just may have been the blunder that brought down the house. I can fully appreciate why people would return the unit for a refund or store credit: the Godawful LCD display pretty much mandates that the otherwise highly desirable unit be used in conjunction with an external chessboard, and this defeats the purpose of opting for the portable version in the first place. Mind as well just run the Star Diamond on batteries as a portable unit. This would be a lot more convenient than making double moves for white and black the entire duration of the game.

Poor Game Planning Regards,
John
Monsieur Plastique

It was probably a victim of the era as well. By the time it came out PDA displays were looking better than the best of the traditional LCD displays so people probably had higher expectations as to what constituted an acceptable display.

It's similar to when Chessmaster came out for the GameBoy colour in the late 90s. It was a very decent program, just handicapped by a CPU about the equivalent of a 2 MHz 6502. People not only criticised the display, but the playing strength as well. If it had been 1985, people would have been over the moon with a tiny portable 1600 ELO machine powered by only two AA batteries and with a full LCD display showing real colour and "proper" pieces. In 2000, not so much. The distributer returned those as well! (but I don't count that because it wasn't a dedicated machine).
Monsieur Plastique

SirDave wrote:That was a good price, but this is a situation where I ask myself why would I get a handheld unit with, by any standard, lousy graphics, when I can use a far superior iTouch or iPhone with Hiarcs?
I am noticing a general trend that portable chess computers these days are no longer particularly good sellers compared to desktop machines. There seems to a solid market for desktop dedicated machines of all strengths and feature sets but portable sales are - as you intimate - likely effected by the fact that anyone can have a good looking grandmaster on their telephone (to paraphrase Ichabod Crane).
ricard60

Post by ricard60 »

Monsieur Plastique wrote:
SirDave wrote:That was a good price, but this is a situation where I ask myself why would I get a handheld unit with, by any standard, lousy graphics, when I can use a far superior iTouch or iPhone with Hiarcs?
I am noticing a general trend that portable chess computers these days are no longer particularly good sellers compared to desktop machines. There seems to a solid market for desktop dedicated machines of all strengths and feature sets but portable sales are - as you intimate - likely effected by the fact that anyone can have a good looking grandmaster on their telephone (to paraphrase Ichabod Crane).
All this is true and from time to time i play chess looking at a PC monitor or a screen of a cellphone, but i will allways like best to play over a chessboard, thats why one of the main reasons i like dedicated chess machines.
klute

Post by klute »

Cyberchess wrote:Now that I’ve seen the Star Sapphire up close, I’m really surprised that Peter Auge allowed the unit to go out looking that way.
I'm one of those people who has never aspired to own a Star Sapphire simply because it's one of the most dreadful things ever to escape from the testing labs of a chess computer manufacturer.

It's an absolute shocker and I just can't understand the silly prices some seem willing to pay for these grotesque ticking time bombs!
The Klute offers you the white pieces and the advantage of the first move.
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

klute wrote:

It's an absolute shocker and I just can't understand the silly prices some seem willing to pay for these grotesque ticking time bombs!
unless of course ..as a collector..you want to own the strongest handheld portable dedicated chess computer ever released for sale

I'm Just Sayin Regards
Steve
klute

Post by klute »

Steve B wrote:
klute wrote:unless of course ..as a collector..you want to own the strongest handheld portable chess computer ever released for sale
Well, each to his own. I suppose that's where I differ - I'm driven more by basically sound design, reasonable build quality and decent prospects for longevity - hence no things like Travel Masters or Star Sapphires in my Schachcomputer cupboards, even though I'm especially into portables these days.
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Steve B wrote:unless of course ..as a collector..you want to own the strongest handheld portable chess computer ever released for sale
klute wrote:
Well, each to his own. I suppose that's where I differ - I'm driven more by basically sound design, reasonable build quality and decent prospects for longevity - hence no things like Travel Masters or Star Sapphires in my Schachcomputer cupboards, even though I'm especially into portables these days.
i might add i own the Star Ruby as well
proud owner of both computers

anyway...

Ah Yes ...the infamous Travel Master
with defect rates close to 90%
actually the high defect rates make owning a working TM today quite rare and desirable for the collector.. not to mention they are tied with the Novag Opal's as the smallest pressure sensory computer's ever sold

The Accolades Just Keep On Coming Regards
Steve
Last edited by Steve B on Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:38 pm, edited 4 times in total.
klute

Post by klute »

Steve B wrote:
klute wrote:i might add i own the Star Ruby as well
That's almost ok - the Star Ruby is somewhat more palatable than the Star Sapphire.
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

klute wrote:
Well, each to his own. I suppose that's where I differ - I'm driven more by basically sound design, reasonable build quality and decent prospects for longevity - hence no things like Travel Masters or Star Sapphires in my Schachcomputer cupboards,

speak of the devil(s)...

both a Star Sapphire AND a TM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Novag-Star-Sapp ... 1a05a0506d

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fidelity-Electr ... 1a05a09141

both with one and the same bidder
he probably lurks here

the TM looks like it might actually be working!
of course the real issue with the TM's was the sensory board going bad..not the display

Well Waddya Know Regards
Steve
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Oh What a timely coincidence. Methinks that's your cousin selling of your defects Steve :P
Nick