Novag Diablo 68000 Adapter Qestion

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Dave C

Novag Diablo 68000 Adapter Qestion

Post by Dave C »

I recently purchased a Diablo and am ready to plug it in for the first time.
Drum roll please....but wait! I won't be using the 220 power supply that came with the unit since I live in the US. So I checked Wiki and it says the plug is 8.5V, 0.8mA, plus external. Thought I would double check so I visited www.chesscomputeruk.com and that site included the following:

The Novag Diablo manual does not mention whether the plug is positive center or positive external. I have an adapter that is 9V, 800mA and the plug can be reversed to either positive internal or external.

Would someone with a Diablo, and knows for sure by experience, please tell me which is correct? I know that reversing the polarity can ruin a computer so I am being extra careful.

Delayed gratification (Diablo working) regards,
Dave
IvenGO

Post by IvenGO »

With Scorpio I use 7.5 Volts -0)+ ; overvoltage even at only 0.5 isnt recommended...
Mike Watters

Post by Mike Watters »

Hi Dave

Novag published a single page addendum to the Diablo manual which mentions the correct adaptor. I have added a copy of the addendum to the webpage for now.

http://www.chesscomputeruk.com/html/novag_diablo.html

My notes for all three Diablos I have had, including one USA example, say positive centre which is the norm with not many exceptions I believe.

All the best
Mike
Larry

Post by Larry »

I've never owned a Diablo, but from looking at Mike's pictures,
it clearly says Power Supply 8.5 volts AC, which means the same
adaptor as the earlier Super Connie And Expert.
If it's an AC output adaptor, then it's not a case of a positive or
negative centre.
Careful. I'd hate for your Diablo to be damaged.
L
Dave C

Post by Dave C »

IvenGO wrote:With Scorpio I use 7.5 Volts -0)+ ; overvoltage even at only 0.5 isnt recommended...
Thank you Iven. I'll be sure to keep the volts at 8.5 or less. I have an adjustable adapter that has a 7.5V setting.

Dave
Dave C

Post by Dave C »

Mike Watters wrote:Hi Dave

My notes for all three Diablos I have had, including one USA example, say positive centre which is the norm with not many exceptions I believe.

All the best
Mike
Thank you Mike. I have printed out a copy of the addendum and added it to my owners manual, which is also a copy. I'd like to obtain an original manual. Does anyone have an extra?

Unfortunately, I am still short-circuited on the plug issue. Wiki shows the same adapter for the Super Connie (thanks Larry :) ) Model 8220, and the plug is listed there as positive external, same as the Wiki page for Diablo. All my other chess computers have positive internal plugs. Are all Novags positive external? Does it matter?

I'm worried about frying the Diablo with the wrong polarity. Electrical issues have never been my strong suit.

Cheers,
Dave
kgvetter

Post by kgvetter »

Hi,

my Diablo runs on the same adapter as the Superconny and the Super Expert do. It is a AC unit so polarity doesn`t matter.

Gerhard
Mike Watters

Post by Mike Watters »

Hi Dave

Apologies. I got that wrong.
I would go with Larry and Gerhard V it is an AC adaptor and the polarity does not matter.

All the best
Mike
Dave C

Post by Dave C »

Mike Watters wrote:Hi Dave

I would go with Larry and Gerhard V it is an AC adaptor and the polarity does not matter.
All the best, Mike
I may have caused some confusion. I used the word "polarity" in my prior descriptions of my problem. I am referring to the positive internal plugs vs the positive external plug going from the power adapter and plugging into the chess computer. Maybe I should not have called that polarity.

I don't know much about electrical stuff so let me ask this way:
Does it matter whether the plug going into my Novag Diablo chess computer has a positive internal or a positive external?

Sorry for the confusion. I am very mixed up.... :shock: :oops:
Many thanks,
Dave
kgvetter

Post by kgvetter »

It does not matter if the plug has the + inside or outside with an AC adaptor.

The AC current is converted to DC inside the unit. Think of any wall-outlet in your place - it does'nt matter which way around you insert the plug although the outlet has the phase in one pin and the neutral on the other.

Same applies to the Fidelity AC adaptors where it does'nt matter which way around you connect the cables.

greetings,

Gerhard
Dave C

Post by Dave C »

Thank you Gerhard. Mystery of AC adapters in the US is now solved.

Dave