Have batteries increased in size?

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
plook

Have batteries increased in size?

Post by plook »

I have a slight problem with one of my chess computers, the Radio Shack 1650 Fast Response (equivalent to the SciSys Concord, if I am not mistaken) which I purchased when I worked for Radio Shack in the 1980s. It is the only set I own that accepts 4 AA batteries in a single row (as opposed to 2+2 or 1+1+1+1, side-by-side). The problem is that modern AA batteries no longer fit (length wise) without putting considerable strain on the plastic contact supports. When I carefully leverage them in from the middle, it seems to me that the plastic will surely break from the strain of the batteries. The spring is completely flattened and I can see the plastic (slightly wider than a battery) flex once the battery is wedged in. I've tried different brands of batteries, even rechargeables some of which which tend to be slightly shorter.

For decades I have powered this unit from an outboard set of 4 D-cells plugged into the 6v DC input, which, of course, works perfectly well. I had always believed I built this to (greatly) increase battery life, but now I wonder if I had a problem with battery fit originally and simply forgot about it once I hacked together a workaround.

My question is, have batteries gotten slightly longer or is it somehow possible for the plastic battery compartment housing to have contracted in the intervening 30 years? Has anyone else noticed this issue with the 1650 / Concord?

Too tight for comfort Regards,

Douglas
Monsieur Plastique

Post by Monsieur Plastique »

If anything the modern batteries have gotten shorter because all the alkalines I've ever seen have a thinner profile positive electrode compared to standard zinc carbon batteries.

Then again, if you are using "standard" batteries, these will end up being a few mm longer strung together in a series of four as compared to alkalines with the thinner profile tips.

Funny thing is this is third time I've been aware of battery compartment issues. The Sensor XL from the 90s had to take standard alkalines because the tips on the alkalines were too short. And some of the very last batches of the Mephisto Advanced Travel prefer standard as well after the battery compartment spring terminal design was changed to a slimmer profile one.
Chess is like painting the Mona Lisa whilst walking through a minefield.
klute

Post by klute »

Monsieur Plastique wrote:The Sensor XL from the 90s had to take standard alkalines because the tips on the alkalines were too short.
I know Monsieur Plastique meant to write here that the Sensor XL is a good example of a machine that has to take heavy duty (zinc-carbon) batteries simply because the tips of these are slightly longer.

In Douglas' case we'd need to find something a bit shorter, not longer, by the sounds of things!

Being a portables enthusiast and therefore familiar with battery compartments, I also physically wince sometimes when placing batteries in certain machines.
The Klute offers you the white pieces and the advantage of the first move.
plook

Post by plook »

Thanks for the replies. I'm glad to hear it's not just mine.

I don't own any zinc-carbon batteries, but I've tried alkaline and rechargeables of various brands. Both are ever so slightly too long. I think I may select a set of good rechargeable batteries (eg. ENELOOP) and grind a small amount from each of the cathodes for use in the 1650. While I do have the correct 6VDC adapter for this unit, sometimes it's nice...

Not being tethered Regards,

Douglas
paulwise3

Post by paulwise3 »

6V adapters should be easy to get!? Here in the Netherlands anyway, see for instance http://www.allekabels.nl/ac-dc-adapter/ ... apter.html

Regards, Paul
2024 Special thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12741
2024 Special results and standings: https://schaakcomputers.nl/paul_w/Tourn ... 25_06.html
If I am mistaken, it must be caused by a horizon effect...