Faulty board switches on Fidelity AG 2100

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
ScottB

Faulty board switches on Fidelity AG 2100

Post by ScottB »

Trying to get my Fidelity A G 2100 up & running.
Thanks to the great advice gathered here i have acquired and power supply
and have started to use the set and discovered that two of the
places on the board do not detect a piece movement.
Which means the games over when a piece moves to those locations.

Which is such a shame as everything else seems to function.
I had a peek inside to see the little micro switches in glass tubes which obviously make contact when the magnets move the contacts.

Anybody have a source for replacements or ideas how to fix these components ??

Thanks again for all the great advice and info,
regards Scott
kgvetter

Post by kgvetter »

Hi,

have a look here: http://www.chesscomputeruk.com/html/conchess.html for the advice you need. If you have a basic experience with a soldering iron it should be no problem. The glass tubes with the reed switches are sensitive though so if you bend the wires attached to them to make them fit through the holes be careful not to exercise to much torsion in the process or the glass might break...

good luck,

Gerhard
ScottB

Post by ScottB »

Thank You Gerhard,
I will get myself off to maplins to try and source a couple of the reed switches. Do you think the reed switch Part No. CL37S used to repair the conches set will have much the same spec as used in the Fidelity ?

Thanks again for any advice or info u can offer
kgvetter

Post by kgvetter »

Hi,

to my experience any reed switch will do the job as long as the length of the glass-tube is the same (or near to) the original. You don't have to go for the more expensive ones with gold-platet contacts since the real effect is more on the psychologigal than on the electronical side.

Good luck and have fun with your machine once it is repaired!

Gerhard