Chess in the arts

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
steffen

Post by steffen »

Okay, Gerhard, the man on the photo is you.
But who is the woman?
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

spacious_mind wrote:
kgvetter wrote:Image[/url]

This is one of my favorites...

Gerhard
Of course it is Gerhard! LOL :P
There is some indecency in the way that guy use the glasses....

Fern
Festina Lente
kgvetter

Post by kgvetter »

Hi,

as I would never would smoke a cigar over a chessboard -in the presence of a woman- it can't be me. Marcel Duchamp at age 73 would do it with a, by her own comment "well stacked" Eve Babitz. Duchamp, outside of his art career was a serious chess-player who has even contributed to the theory of conjugated cases in endgame theory (together with Halberstadt).

Before hashtable regards,

Gerhard
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

kgvetter wrote:Hi,

as I would never would smoke a cigar over a chessboard -in the presence of a woman- it can't be me. Marcel Duchamp at age 73 would do it with a, by her own comment "well stacked" Eve Babitz. Duchamp, outside of his art career was a serious chess-player who has even contributed to the theory of conjugated cases in endgame theory (together with Halberstadt).

Gerhard
I wonder if I could play my favorite change variation kbxKn- in the Lopez with such a rival...
Festina Lente
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

kgvetter wrote:Hi,

Gerhard
I have a couple of volumes on Marcel Duchamp, I need to go and take a look sometime to see if the photo you posted was included. A bit like Philidor he was multitalented but with the exception that he never really achieved any top level international heights for chess. Both got plenty of grief from their family and friends for spending too much time on chess. I know Duchamp played in the French Chess Championship a few times. But is of course better known as an artist. As is Philidor for music unless you are chess player and then you will dispute it. However since music and art has a majority over chess I think my statement is probably true.

Best regards
Nick