Mysticum

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Larry

Mysticum

Post by Larry »

Hi all,
This is a long shot, I know, but does anyone here own or have any
experience with one of these things?...or heard good/bad reports?...
http://www.schach-computer.info/wiki/index.php/Mysticum

The thing appeals to me, but the price is a bit on the nose.
It can connect via bluetooth and has a USB connection. It does not
include it's own engine, but can take a good number of engines.
...any of your thoughts on this would be well received...
nice day all,
Larry
Mythbuster

Post by Mythbuster »

Hi,
instead of asking here, you shoud ask at www.schachcomputer.info!
We have a special Mysticum usergroup, a workshop for "how to build it on your own" and the creator of it is member in our community.

Regards,
Sascha
ricard60

Post by ricard60 »

Mythbuster;

My german is somthing like a 3 or 4 year old boy. Is it possible to go in in the schachcomputer.info comunity in english and ask this guys "how to build it on your own": How i can build it on my own?. It seems a fantastic machine.

best
Ricardo
Mythbuster

Post by Mythbuster »

Hi,
it is no problem to post in English ... if there is a problem, someone from the Admin Team (Micha, Kathy or me) will help and translate.

As I wrote before, we have a special "Mysticum User Group" ... one member is the founder of this nice project and he answers all questions.
There is also a workshop for building your own Mysticum.

To see the Usergroup you have to be a member of Schachcomputer.Info ... then you have to look for the point: "Intressengemeinschaften" (Usergroups) ... then you can see the Group Mysticum.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask at Schachcomputer.Info

Kind Regards,
Sascha
Larry

Post by Larry »

Mythbuster wrote:
To see the Usergroup you have to be a member of Schachcomputer.Info ... then you have to look for the point: "Intressengemeinschaften" (Usergroups) ... then you can see the Group Mysticum.
Ok, Thanks Sacha. Seems strange that so many Germans speak English, and
rather fluently. I'll check this mysticum forum out for sure, and of course I
would get an added buzz if I could actually make one myself.
all the best...
Larry
blaubaer

Mysticum

Post by blaubaer »

Hi,

meanwhile you can find a lot more information in English about the chesscomputer "Mysticum". Mysticum is a non commercial d(o)i(t)y(ourself) project, but if you're not able to build it on your own, you'll get help in the forum (partially in English!) or by me.

Check it out and post here if you need additional information...

http://www.miclangschach.de/forum/index.php

Regards,
Michael

PS: After forum registration you'll see a topic called "Technical Documentation in English" and you can download the assembly manuals and the operating manual. See also the forum topic "To the guests of this board!"
pr1uk

Post by pr1uk »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFozpY_gTZ0

Not seen one of these before
King Performance Chess Computer M830
blaubaer

Post by blaubaer »

Hi pr1uk,

yep, that's the "Suitcase Mysticum" of Nick; Dirk built it a couple of years ago. :D

Meanwhile the display menu is provided in English, French and Spanish (and German of course)!

Regards, Michael
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Yep, that's mine that Dirk had build for me. Hard to believe it is already 5 years ago.

PS. For those of you that don't know, Michael is the father of Mysticum and he holds classes in Germany that people can attend to build their own chess computer.

Regards
Nick
steffen

Post by steffen »

Mysticum is wonderful. And extremely flexible. Thanks to Michael and Walter I have a great machine, built in a Mephisto Exclusive board :-)
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

spacious_mind wrote: Hard to believe it is already 5 years ago.
not so hard to believe if you consider the post Michael replied to today is also 5 years old

:wink: Regards
Steve
kgvetter

Post by kgvetter »

Hello,

I think one can savely say that the Mysticum-project will make a big step forward with this years Mysticum workshop held in Klingenberg. Carsten Meyer has refined the original project both in hard- and software respects.

Naturally one has to mention Guido Marquard, the original programmer and Michael Lang who has been keeping the project alive and kicking as the spiritus rector.

I had planned my version of Mysticum since two years (at the previous workshop) but had problems with the (necessary) rewiring of (in my case) a Mephisto ESB 6000 board. Although I thought that as a professional musician I had the necessary fine-motoric skills in my fingers it turned out that my soldering skills were not sufficient for the task.

In the meantime, lucky for me, Walter Lang and Michael Lang (appropiate name for anyone connected to computer-chess...) had mercy with my case
and did all the soldering-work for me, so at the workshop in 4 weeks I will only have to drop an ITX-mainboard with an i7 processor into the drawer of the ESB, connect some cables and hey presto I will have the strongest stand-alone chesscomputer in the universe (if not other participants in the workshop come up with 6-cores or dual-xeons)...

As Steve B. probably would say:

slightly modified ESB regards,

Gerhard
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Steve B wrote:
spacious_mind wrote: Hard to believe it is already 5 years ago.
not so hard to believe if you consider the post Michael replied to today is also 5 years old

:wink: Regards
Steve
Exactly :P hence the comment.
Nick
blaubaer

Post by blaubaer »

Hi,
Steve B wrote:not so hard to believe if you consider the post Michael replied to today is also 5 years old
and meanwhile it happened a lot in the Mysticum world! :shock:

See here a collection of individual Mystica:

http://www.miclangschach.de/forum/viewforum.php?f=15

Regards,
Michael
blaubaer

Post by blaubaer »

Hi,

to give you an idea of my preparation work for the Mysticum workshop end of the month near Frankfurt/Germany, have a look at this picture:

It shows a nice Mephisto ESB6000 board with a modified pcb under the hood connected to the Mysticum control unit with display and buttons (green pcb). A Windows tablet runs the Mysticum program and provides UCI and winboard engines to play with. In this case you can play against a MMIV emulation. All that stuff will disappear in the drawer. The pcb of the board is modified in that way, that it can be easily assembled back to the original setup to serve a Mephisto III briquet.

Regards,
Michael