Relaxed Attitude...you know what happens....

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Relaxed Attitude...you know what happens....

Post by Fernando »

Continuing with my experiment -if we can call it that way- I played with a sucesor of CP 2150, good old Complete Chess System. It is a CP 2150 with some improvement in the ending, better graphics and an overall a somewhat stronger game.
I gave it two minutes in average per move and at around move 23 or so I was with a sustancial advantage, but then, what happened?
You can guess: that complacency that is at once associated with relaxation as if the game could be won by itself.
Well....in a sudden I realized with panic that my substantial advantage was at least half gone. I was queen against rook above and I became just rook above bishop. And so, instead of winning in less that 30 moves I was compelled to play a very hard game until move 76 or so!!!! Yes, I won, but I expended 3 and half hours instead of just 45 minutes.....

Bloody iron machine as someone said...

You never finish to learn regards
Fern
Festina Lente
scandien

Post by scandien »

Self satisfaction and loss of concentration is the main problem of man machine match... Those bloody machines are never confident and never desperate ! :)

br

Nicolas
Cyberchess

Re: Relaxed Attitude...you know what happens....

Post by Cyberchess »

Fernando wrote:Continuing with my experiment -if we can call it that way- I played with a sucesor of CP 2150, good old Complete Chess System. It is a CP 2150 with some improvement in the ending, better graphics and an overall a somewhat stronger game.
I gave it two minutes in average per move and at around move 23 or so I was with a sustancial advantage, but then, what happened?
You can guess: that complacency that is at once associated with relaxation as if the game could be won by itself.
Well....in a sudden I realized with panic that my substantial advantage was at least half gone. I was queen against rook above and I became just rook above bishop. And so, instead of winning in less that 30 moves I was compelled to play a very hard game until move 76 or so!!!! Yes, I won, but I expended 3 and half hours instead of just 45 minutes.....

Bloody iron machine as someone said...

You never finish to learn regards
Fern
Depending on the starting position, the king & queen vs. king & rook endgame can be extremely difficult to win within the 50 move rule against a strong computer opponent.
GM Nigel short was even stumped once or twice (see video below):

http://www.chess.com/video/player/winni ... nk-defense

Way back in 1978, a challenge was issued to GM Walter Browne whereby he would play the stronger side against Belle. He actually failed in his first attempt, and later in the month, after studying the position thoroughly, succeeded on his subsequent attempt by capturing the rook on move 50! Of course Belle was using an endgame table-base, but we would expect as much in these times.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pawnless_ ... ersus_rook

50 Move Regards,
John
Larry

Post by Larry »

Oh, how many times I've had a clear winning advantage and got cocky,
exchanged down for what I thought was a smaller but more tangible
advantage, and found myself grovelling.
But, chess games are like council buses....always another one coming
L
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

Larry wrote:Oh, how many times I've had a clear winning advantage and got cocky,
exchanged down for what I thought was a smaller but more tangible
advantage, and found myself grovelling.
But, chess games are like council buses....always another one coming
L
FEAR is part, I guess, of the explanation for that tempting exchange between a general but perhaps vague advantage and a specific material one...We do that because we knows that the machine will not get desperate, as a pal here said, so they can anytime take us off guard and kill us no matter how good we though we were.

In fact once we get some adsvantage we try as mad to finish the game.....not giving room for that threateninbg countermoves that will demolish our hopes....

Oh My God regards
Fern
Festina Lente
fourthirty

Post by fourthirty »

Larry wrote:exchanged down for what I thought was a smaller but more tangible advantage, and found myself grovelling.
I feel you pain Larry. If I perceive that I may have a slight advantage against the machine, I have the tendency to start forcing the exchange of minor pieces in the middle game to "simplify" the board. More often than not, I'll end up giving away part of my positional advantage by doing so.

Then the wicked machine will inevitably play an unexpected move that swings the advantage and begins my slow demise...

Thank goodness that all these machines have a "NEW GAME" button. :)

Greg
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

fourthirty wrote:
Then the wicked machine will inevitably play an unexpected move that swings the advantage and begins my slow demise...

Thank goodness that all these machines have a "NEW GAME" button. :)

Greg
your more honorable then me 4:30
when in a losing position after having spoiled an advantage ...
rather then abandoning the game ..i make quick use of the...

TAKEBACK key Regards
Steve
paulwise3

Post by paulwise3 »

Steve B wrote: your more honorable then me 4:30
when in a losing position after having spoiled an advantage ...
rather then abandoning the game ..i make quick use of the...

TAKEBACK key Regards
Steve
That is also my "method" to overcome frustrating loss of position...

The machine never complains regards,
Paul
2024 Special thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12741
2024 Special results and standings: https://schaakcomputers.nl/paul_w/Tourn ... 25_06.html
If I am mistaken, it must be caused by a horizon effect...
fourthirty

Post by fourthirty »

Steve B wrote:TAKEBACK key Regards
paulwise3

Post by paulwise3 »

fourthirty wrote:
Steve B wrote:TAKEBACK key Regards
In love and war...
Anything is permitted! :P
2024 Special thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12741
2024 Special results and standings: https://schaakcomputers.nl/paul_w/Tourn ... 25_06.html
If I am mistaken, it must be caused by a horizon effect...
fourthirty

Post by fourthirty »

paulwise3 wrote:In love and war...
Anything is permitted! :P
Paul - Yes, it does tend to be a love/hate relationship with some of my machines. Especially that damn Mephisto Master!