Need advice for Novag Super Constellation power adapter

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
qubit

Need advice for Novag Super Constellation power adapter

Post by qubit »

I just picked up a nicely preserved Super Connie with the box and all the pieces at a thrift shop... was hoping to pair it with a power supply (I hate anything that runs on batteries and isn't a walkman or flashlight) but I can't figure out what polarity I need. I tracked down a couple adapters that output 8.5V AC, 1.35A, which should be exactly right, but the manual doesn't say whether the center should be (+) or (-), and neither does the board itself. The manual's telling me I need Novag part 8220. Advice pleez?
Larry

Re: Need advice for Novag Super Constellation power adapter

Post by Larry »

qubit wrote:I just picked up a nicely preserved Super Connie with the box and all the pieces at a thrift shop... was hoping to pair it with a power supply (I hate anything that runs on batteries and isn't a walkman or flashlight) but I can't figure out what polarity I need. I tracked down a couple adapters that output 8.5V AC, 1.35A, which should be exactly right, but the manual doesn't say whether the center should be (+) or (-), and neither does the board itself. The manual's telling me I need Novag part 8220. Advice pleez?
The adapters you tracked down are right for the job. AC output adapters
don't have polarity. Polarity applies to DC output adapters.
All the best to you... Larry
Reinfeld

Post by Reinfeld »

Thank god for Larry. I hereby dub him The Mechanic.

- R.
"You have, let us say, a promising politician, a rising artist that you wish to destroy. Dagger or bomb are archaic and unreliable - but teach him, inoculate him with chess."
– H.G. Wells
qubit

Post by qubit »

Awesome! Thanks so much.
readingbill

Post by readingbill »

I also recently picked up a Super Constellation.
I found online an 8.5 volt/ 1 amp ac out adapter. I noticed that the Novag booklet specifies 800 ma max.

Will that extra 200 ma damage the set? I would hate to fry it.

Many thanks,
Bill
Monsieur Plastique

Post by Monsieur Plastique »

In general current is drawn as required by the device being powered and it only draws the necessary current required. I could safely power a tiny 12 volt globe with two car batteries wired in parallel (delivering massive current capability) and it will not blow up. But it would almost certainly blow up very quickly if I supplied it with 24 volts from 8 x 3 volt button (tiny current capability) batteries connected in series.

I say in general because when it comes to power adapters, if they are un-regulated then they may simply supply too much energy to the device if the adapter exceeds the device current rating and the adapter voltage is either equal to or higher than that specified for the device.

But so long as the adapter provides a regulated 8.5 volts DC (regulated means the voltage is consistent independent of current draw) then you won't have any problems at all. If it un-regulated then it may work but the device will likely run at a higher temperature than the components are designed for, shortening it's life.
Chess is like painting the Mona Lisa whilst walking through a minefield.
readingbill

Post by readingbill »

Thank you for the quick and helpful response.
Bill